MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 11, 2021, 03:19:11 PM
I was just looking to see when OAC hoops was starting (a week from Friday...1/22) and noticed the format of the schedule.  Home and away on back to back days.  Obviously I'm sure this is for COVID reasons, but man that's going to make it very interesting.  You drop one you shouldn't and the pressure is on big time having to bounce back the next day and get the win.  No time to regroup and address what you did wrong in practices.  It'll definitely be different.

A number of conferences are scheduling this way because it means you only have to test once.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dr. Acula

Doing some homework ahead of tomorrow's opener.  Mount is going to be good this year, but next year they're set up to make another deep run IMO.  They're not going to lose any guys that log significant minutes off of this year's team unless Hill is graduating in May and wants to punt on his last year of eligibility (he red shirted at Toledo).  As a hoops fan in general I can't praise Fuline enough for making Mount a can't miss team during basketball season.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I did discover today that Marcus Dempsey never enrolled at JCU.  I'm working to track down his plans, but that transfer, at least for this year, isn't going to be one the league has to worry about.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 21, 2021, 06:40:19 PM

I did discover today that Marcus Dempsey never enrolled at JCU.  I'm working to track down his plans, but that transfer, at least for this year, isn't going to be one the league has to worry about.

That's interesting.  I believe he'd have to sit out this year anyway.  OAC rules require transfers within the conference to sit out a year.  Or at least they used to.  Maybe things changed with COVID.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 21, 2021, 07:47:55 PM

That's interesting.  I believe he'd have to sit out this year anyway.  OAC rules require transfers within the conference to sit out a year.  Or at least they used to.  Maybe things changed with COVID.

Would it be different if he got his bachelor's from Musky and was a grad transfer?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 21, 2021, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 21, 2021, 07:47:55 PM

Would it be different if he got his bachelor's from Musky and was a grad transfer?

He would have been able to play right away as a grad transfer.  I do know that.

Dr. Acula

The most interesting result from opening night in the OAC had to be Berg beating JCU handily.  Berg was scrappy last year, but I did not see that one coming.  Unfortunately, Etta vs. Ott was postponed.  At least one of the women's match ups was postponed as well.

Mount picked up where they left off in 2020 pummeling BW in Berea 109-82.  As with most Mount fans, there is very little I enjoy more than beating BW in anything so this was a nice start to the season.  This one was over before half with Mount up 59-38 at the break.  Gurley scored 26 in the first half and only played 3 minutes in the second half.  According to the Canton paper he tweaked his hammy so hopefully just a precaution to sit him down.  Stanislawski had a nice debut at PG posting an efficient 16 pts on 6-9 shooting along with 6 assists.  Poole did his typical thing just hustling and doing a little of everything, but a change from last year was him being more assertive on offense (16 shot attempts).  He had a very good game (17 pts, 9 reb, 4 stl, 3 ast, 3 blk).  Congrats to freshmen Parker (12) and Chaney (10) who both recorded their first double figure nights in college.  Parker had 7 boards to go with his 12 points in 14 minutes of action.  Chaney was an efficient 4-5 from the floor.   

One thing that didn't dawn on me until I looked at the box score was that Caywood did not play.  It should have when Parker subbed in for Hill.  Hopefully Mario is not hurt because he's a big body that's played meaningful minutes.

Dr. Acula

I watched the entirety of Mount's 89-80 win over BW Saturday.  It was definitely not as crisp as the first game, especially the first half (BW was up 35-34 at half).  Mount went 5-24 from 3.  Gurley struggled with his perimeter shot, but his only made 3 ball was a big one down the stretch.  Hill was more assertive and played well around the rim (10 pts on 4-6 FG).  The hero of the night was Poole as he put up a career high 24 points along with 14 boards.  Painter played well (15 pts, 6 reb, 4 ast).

I thought BW had some nice pieces, namely Mazzeo.  That kid can score.  He's not afraid to go to the rim and he can finish, get fouled and knock them down or both if you're unlucky.  I also liked Zalba.  He was very efficient and made some key shots for them.

Some way too early observations on Mount:

Game 1 was over before half.  This game was more competitive and it was interesting that in this game Fuline basically played 7 guys (Newsom and Parker off the bench).  Newsom didn't play a ton last year, but he played crunch time minutes in the second half Saturday.  I liked his defensive effort.

Gurley has the capability of exploding for huge numbers any night.  That's well known.  But what I've liked early on is that Stanislawski and Poole have been consistent scoring and smart with shot selection.  Stanislawski missed some 3's and simply adjusted and used more pump fakes to get mid range shots that he made.  He's just very competent.  Poole has always been smart about taking what's there, but he's doing so with more assertiveness this year.  He's their X factor.

Parker is going to be a headache for the rest of the OAC the next 4 years.  He doesn't look like a freshman out there.  Probably why Fuline trusts him to be the first sub in already.  Uses his frame well to get position and has nice skill and touch around the basket.  He has a nice stroke on his jumper and rebounds well.  At 6'6" when he bulks up a little he's going to be a stud at this level.

Dr. Acula

Son of a gun...just saw that the JCU/Mount games this coming weekend are already canceled due to COVID issues at JCU.  The Streaks also lost out on their 2nd game against Berg this past weekend.  Not a good start to the season.

Pat Coleman

This is what it is going to be like, unfortunately.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dr. Acula

Sadly true, Pat.  It certainly makes me worry about baseball and football being played in the spring too.  My only hope is outdoor versus indoor and larger rosters in those sports, but man if someone tests positive on your team I'm sure it's just so difficult with the contact tracing protocols.

Dr. Acula

Looking at tonight/tomorrow and what's still on, at best 2 of the 10 OAC teams will have played their scheduled 4 games after tomorrow.  Ott will have played none.  I feel so bad for these kids. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season technically started nearly three months ago, but it has taken until the end of January for it to start feeling like the season is really underway. Even so, only about a quarter of the division has played just a single game. Another quarter of the division will never take to the court. And in between is wide gulf of different options.

On the first video-version of Hoopsville this season, Dave McHugh is joined by much of the D3hoops.com crew, Pat Coleman and Ryan Scott, to react to what has been one of the more unique seasons ... to say it lightly.

We react to the challenges schools are facing, what coaches are grappling with on a daily basis - especially beyond games and practices, and why schools are making so many different decisions.

We also discuss what is likely the future of this season's NCAA Championship Tournaments and, more importantly, when the decision on those tournaments will be made.

Plus, will there be a Top 25? No. Well, yes. Kind of. Tune in to learn more on what's coming. Plus a lot more including Dave spinning off Pat's thoughts on those wishing to attend games.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show by clicking on the video player above. Or you can listen to the podcast available on any of the service options in the right panel.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

You can WATCH the show or listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3oASGKl or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/january

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dr. Acula

It was good to see the OAC use one of the advantages of D3 vs. D1...being able to adjust quickly.  Because there are no major travel requirements or TV to worry about, Mount and ONU were able to play each other this afternoon since both had their original games postponed.  You two are both healthy, but ppd?  Play each other.  It's a good sign because it seems that everyone is going to have to be flexible to get these games in.

As far as the game itself, Mount (3-0) handled ONU (2-1) 94-72.  Mount was up 18 at half, but ONU played well in the 2nd half.  Mount didn't mass sub or anything, ONU just played better after the break.  I liked Napier last year and he still looks good for ONU.  He's a really nice player.  19 and 10 today and very efficient shooting.  All 5 Mount starters were in double figures.  Gurley led Mount with 24, 9 reb, 4 ast.  Poole put up another double double (15 and 10 w/ 5 blocks).  And Hill had 13 and 7 on 6-7 shooting.

For the season, the most interesting stat I saw is that Stanislawski has 18 assists and 1 turnover so far.  That's a testament to how smart and under control he is in the backcourt.  Crazy.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.