WBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BedtimeForBonzo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Coach Hill won't be happy with the 27 turnovers, but Trinity had little difficulty otherwise in tonight's 82-58 win over the St. Thomas (TX) team that took #5 UMHB to OT.  Emily Daniel had 21 points on 8-16 shooting, Kelly Simmons added 14 and 10,  Abby Holland 12 and 10, and Ashlyn Milton 12. 

UST, despite the lion on their logo, are the Celts, who were led by Olivia Anna's 13 points.

jekelish

Solid road win for Austin College, as well, holding off a Colorado College team that's proving to be much better than most probably expected and seems to be clearly one of the top 4 teams in the league this year. 10-0 record for the 'Roos as they take on JWU tomorrow (which, no offense intended to JWU, should be a much easier game and AC should head back to Sherman at 11-0).

jekelish

I have to admit, while I thought AC would be good again this year, I thought they'd be in the 17-19 win range for the regular season after losing Bryce Frank. I'd seen how talented some of the younger players were and expected them to make a nice jump this season, but I never would have predicted an 11-0 start, with a chance to be 12-0 heading into the Trinity game. I'll be interested to see where they fall in the new Top 25 this week since I have to imagine they'll be included. I could see them vaulting up into the top 20 given the quality wins over UTD and UMHB (and Colorado College has proven to be pretty good this year as well, though obviously not on the level of those two ASC schools).

Ron Boerger

Should be a great game Saturday!   Wish I could be there; I'll actually be in Dallas on Friday but just passing through D/FW on the way back from a funeral. 

Speaking of UT-D and UMHB, the Comets popped the Cru 69-55 in Belton this weekend, which makes AC's win over UT-D look even better.   I haven't had a chance to listen to Hoopsville from last night; they had Top 25 discussion on the agenda and may have talked about where AC might end up.   We'll see in a day or two. 

jekelish

And now I'm sitting here refreshing the front page of D3Hoops waiting for the new top 25 to be released...

gordonmann

Sorry about that. The voters were on time but I didn't get a chance to post until after the kids went to bed.

It's up now and Austin is in there! (Fairly high too).

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2019-20/week5

jekelish

Quote from: gordonmann on January 06, 2020, 10:47:34 PM
Sorry about that. The voters were on time but I didn't get a chance to post until after the kids went to bed.

It's up now and Austin is in there! (Fairly high too).

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2019-20/week5

Totally understand, and appreciate you Gordon!

jekelish

Trinity and Austin College land at 21 and 22 in the WBCA poll.

gordonmann

For what it's worth, I have them both higher on my ballot.

I have Trinity 8th  and Austin 12th. Trinity's loss to St. Thomas is better than it now looks because St. Thomas has since lost its best player to injury.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: gordonmann on January 07, 2020, 12:10:09 PM

I have Trinity 8th  and Austin 12th. Trinity's loss to St. Thomas is better than it now looks because St. Thomas has since lost its best player to injury.

Always hard for teams out here to get mindshare from your voters, who I am sure are much more familiar with teams back east because that's simply where most of them are, and there are more marquee matchups as a result.   It is surprising to me that UMHB - with one win against a top 20 team - loses two of three to UT-D and AC and still stays above both of them in the rankings.   And whoever loses the Trinity - AC matchup this weekend probably drops off the ballot of some (more) voters. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 07, 2020, 06:27:40 PM
Quote from: gordonmann on January 07, 2020, 12:10:09 PM

Always hard for teams out here to get mindshare from your voters, who I am sure are much more familiar with teams back east because that's simply where most of them are, and there are more marquee matchups as a result.   It is surprising to me that UMHB - with one win against a top 20 team - loses two of three to UT-D and AC and still stays above both of them in the rankings.   And whoever loses the Trinity - AC matchup this weekend probably drops off the ballot of some (more) voters.

I watched the first half of the most recent UTD-UMHB game - it was pretty clear at that point UMHB was the better team - obvious by the talent and depth on the floor.  I was shocked UTD came back to win.  Both are very good teams, obviously, but results aren't always the end all of things, especially when you're trying to predict over an entire season.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jekelish

Having watched both UTD and UMHB this year, I can say I fully expected UTD to win that matchup. There's just something... off... with UMHB right now.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jekelish on January 07, 2020, 09:51:24 PM
Having watched both UTD and UMHB this year, I can say I fully expected UTD to win that matchup. There's just something... off... with UMHB right now.

I did, going in - I'm just saying from how the first half went, what it looked like, I was pretty sure I was wrong.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

gordonmann

I've said this on Hoopsville before, but, when Mary Hardin-Baylor is on, they look like the most complete team in the country to me. Strong, talented guards, depth and size up front, and a go-to player when they need a basket. I don't understand their start.

cover2

UMHB has been missing a starter, actually the second leading scorer, for the past few weeks due to an injury.  I think once they are back to full strength they can get it going again.