MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 18, 2019, 10:43:57 AM
Hasa

HSC will be back, it will take a different approach to recruiting and better in game decisions from the bench.

Good luck to your Quakers this week.
Thanks.  Hampden-Sydney has a lot of pride ... they'll take the steps they need to make.

Nervously awaiting the outcome of the EMU at E&H game tonight.  Last Saturday, W&L played really well, but the game was tight.  It is hard to win, even at home, when your opponent gets 32 FTs to your 14.  W&L would probably have won anyway, but it was a noticeable part of the game.  I'll see a lot of you in Salem on Thursday!

thescottharris

Quote from: hasanova on February 18, 2019, 12:50:07 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 18, 2019, 10:43:57 AM
Hasa

HSC will be back, it will take a different approach to recruiting and better in game decisions from the bench.

Good luck to your Quakers this week.
Thanks.  Hampden-Sydney has a lot of pride ... they'll take the steps they need to make.

Nervously awaiting the outcome of the EMU at E&H game tonight.  Last Saturday, W&L played really well, but the game was tight.  It is hard to win, even at home, when your opponent gets 32 FTs to your 14.  W&L would probably have won anyway, but it was a noticeable part of the game.  I'll see a lot of you in Salem on Thursday!
Well first step is official...

The following announcement is being shared on behalf of Hampden-Sydney Athletics:

Hampden-Sydney Announces Departure of Basketball Head Coach Dee Vick

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – Hampden-Sydney College Director of Athletics Chad Eisele has announced that men's basketball head coach Dee Vick '94 is leaving the employment of the College.

Vick completed his 11th season as head coach with the Tigers on February 16, ending 20 seasons with the school and program as either a student-athlete (1990-94), assistant coach (1994-99) or head coach (2008-19).  Hampden-Sydney completed 2018-19 with a record of 4-19 overall, 1-15 in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC).

"We would like to thank Dee for his loyal service to Hampden-Sydney, the men's basketball program and our student-athletes," said Eisele.  "He has been an outstanding ambassador for the College for a long time, and we only wish Dee and his family the best in the future."

Vick compiled an overall record of 156-139 at Hampden-Sydney, returning to his alma mater as the head coach beginning with the 2008-09 campaign.  The Tigers attained an ODAC record of 81-95 during Vick's tenure.  H-SC's best season under Vick was 2012-13 when the program finished 23-5 overall, 14-2 in the ODAC, advancing to the ODAC Tournament Semifinals and playing in the first round of the postseason NCAA Division III Tournament.  Vick is tied with Bill Pegram (1960-71, 156-117) and Don Thompson (1974-86, 156-131) as the second winningest head coach in the 109-year history of the program.

Eisele said that the College will immediately begin a national search for its new head coach.

thescottharris

I would be shocked if David Willson at E&H isn't one of the first people contacted for the job.

hasanova

Quote from: scotth on February 18, 2019, 04:40:36 PM
I would be shocked if David Willson at E&H isn't one of the first people contacted for the job.
Exactly my thoughts.

hasanova

Number 7 E&H came from behind to beat #10 EMU 60-57 and, in a mild upset, #9 Randolph beat #8 BC, 88-80.  So, the February 21 quarterfinals are set:

1 pm #1 RMC vs #9 Randolph
3 pm #4 VWU vs #5 W&L
6 pm #2 GC vs #7 E&H
8 pm #3 UL vs #6 Roanoke

y_jack_lok

Not to jinx them, but I prefer R-MC playing Randolph rather than Bridgswater. But at this stage, nothing will be easy.

Seatfiller

Quote from: hasanova on February 18, 2019, 10:41:09 PM
Number 7 E&H came from behind to beat #10 EMU 60-57 and, in a mild upset, #9 Randolph beat #8 BC, 88-80.  So, the February 21 quarterfinals are set:

1 pm #1 RMC vs #9 Randolph
3 pm #4 VWU vs #5 W&L
6 pm #2 GC vs #7 E&H
8 pm #3 UL vs #6 Roanoke

Besides the RMC game, all of those games could go either way.

y_jack_lok

^^^ Ouch. Another possible jinx of R-MC. Jackets better be ready.

jknezek

Quote from: Seatfiller on February 19, 2019, 07:05:27 AM

1 pm #1 RMC vs #9 Randolph  RMC won both, home 1/19 92-47, away 2/9 87-45
3 pm #4 VWU vs #5 W&L  Split. VWU won 12/1 at home 87-77, W&L won at home 2/2 72-59
6 pm #2 GC vs #7 E&H GC won at home 2/13 67-60
8 pm #3 UL vs #6 Roanoke Roanoke won at home 1/30 78-56

Hard to argue with that sentiment. Interestingly, every home team except Randolph won in each of these match ups. So we look at other data.

Roanoke 5-4 Away, 1-1 Neutral site
Lynchburg 7-2 Away, 2-0 Neutral site

GC 9-4 Away, 1-0 Neutral Site
E&H 5-6 Away, 2-1 Neutral Site

W&L 6-5 Away, 3-0 Neutral Site
VWU 6-6 Away, 0-1 Neutral Site

Now without looking at quality of opponents, only VWU was below .500 Away/Neutral combined, by 1 game. E&H was exactly .500, Roanoke a game above, W&L decently above on the strength of neutral site games, Guilford well above and Lynchburg smoking hot.

Given the rankings and performance, it looks like Guilford and Lynchburg should hold serve, though Lynchburg's loss to Roanoke was particularly ugly. Wonder if that's a match up issue for UL.

W&L and VWU, as you'd except from a 4/5 game, looks like a push.

And that demonstrates the sum total of my knowledge of basketball. Here's to a great tournament.

Seatfiller

Quote from: jknezek on February 19, 2019, 09:03:24 AM
Quote from: Seatfiller on February 19, 2019, 07:05:27 AM

1 pm #1 RMC vs #9 Randolph  RMC won both, home 1/19 92-47, away 2/9 87-45
3 pm #4 VWU vs #5 W&L  Split. VWU won 12/1 at home 87-77, W&L won at home 2/2 72-59
6 pm #2 GC vs #7 E&H GC won at home 2/13 67-60
8 pm #3 UL vs #6 Roanoke Roanoke won at home 1/30 78-56

Hard to argue with that sentiment. Interestingly, every home team except Randolph won in each of these match ups. So we look at other data.

Roanoke 5-4 Away, 1-1 Neutral site
Lynchburg 7-2 Away, 2-0 Neutral site

GC 9-4 Away, 1-0 Neutral Site
E&H 5-6 Away, 2-1 Neutral Site

W&L 6-5 Away, 3-0 Neutral Site
VWU 6-6 Away, 0-1 Neutral Site

Now without looking at quality of opponents, only VWU was below .500 Away/Neutral combined, by 1 game. E&H was exactly .500, Roanoke a game above, W&L decently above on the strength of neutral site games, Guilford well above and Lynchburg smoking hot.

Given the rankings and performance, it looks like Guilford and Lynchburg should hold serve, though Lynchburg's loss to Roanoke was particularly ugly. Wonder if that's a match up issue for UL.

W&L and VWU, as you'd except from a 4/5 game, looks like a push.

And that demonstrates the sum total of my knowledge of basketball. Here's to a great tournament.

Lynchburg didn't shoot well in that game until the middle of the second half.  I don't think they'll repeat that tomorrow.

tigerFanAlso2

Scotth

I wonder if Willson would be interested given how bad the program is. He just got through rebuilding E&H and I wonder if he has the desire to undertake that effort all over again.

Thoughts

thescottharris

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 19, 2019, 10:43:46 AM
Scotth

I wonder if Willson would be interested given how bad the program is. He just got through rebuilding E&H and I wonder if he has the desire to undertake that effort all over again.

Thoughts
I'm sure he would be at least a tiny bit interested given it's his alma mater, unless things ended on a sour not for him here, rather the interest is any more than that, who knows.

guest323

Quote from: scotth on February 18, 2019, 04:40:36 PM

I hear he is or will be

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok