FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblot, crufootball, UMHB03 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

umhb2001

UMHB locked in a new OL coach today. https://twitter.com/Coach_Thrash/status/1017062768153890817 Here is the Twitter link to the story.

From looking at his previous school, Colorado Mines, it looks as if they had a very young team this last year but ranked in the top 25 in the categories I looked at: 3rd down %, rushing yards. Sacks allowed and passing wasn't as high, but they were middle of the road. Red zone % was 38th, Scoring offense tied for 32.

Happy to see this change. We've needed this change for some time. Hopefully, he can get some new energy and focus at the position.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

ADL70

To answer umhb2001's question, there is no Ohio print mag like Campbell's Texas but there is a website that covers HS sports - http://www.ohiovarsity.com/
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

CowboyAlum261

Quote from: MUC57 on July 11, 2018, 03:18:56 PM

CowboyAlum261

It is strange there was no mention of Luke going to UMHB. That's kind of a major story. But, no doubt, The Cru will be in the hunt for a national championship in 2018. Look where they went last year, only one game short. Not only did they have a good team, they have a great program. I'll go out on a limb and say they'll be around for awhile. Safe to say?
And by your sign-on, you must be a fan of Hardin Simmons. They seem to be pretty good year after year. Maybe you'll give MHB a battle. Best of luck!
I will close by saying - Go Cru! Go Cowboys! Go Raiders! Here it comes, Oh hell, Go Everybody! ☠🏈

Thanks for your collegiality; I'm a Hardin Simmons fan, but I'm looking forward to seeing a great game down in Houston this year no matter who is playing. MUC and UMHB certainly seem to be a cut above this year. Personally, I'd love to see HSU not have to play a top 10 team in the first round this year, but we'll have to beat UMHB or Linfield at some point to get to where we want to be.

This year I'm excited to see who breaks out of the middle of the conference, ETBU, Southwestern, and TLU all seem to have a chance to take big leaps forward this year. I would love to see the ASC get 3 teams in the top 25 and challenge the WIAC for the best conference in D3.

MUC57

CowboyAlum261

Just a small item for your information.
I post as MUC57 because when I was there it was Mount Union College. A few years back, it was changed to the University of Mount Union, or UMU. The NCAA refers to it as MtU. In post patterns, I see all three. So call us what you want - just don't call us late for dinner. OK, OK! I know that's old, but so am I. So there!

As an aside, present room and board plus tuition is around $35,000 a year. When I was a freshman in 1953, shortly after The Big Bang, I paid (are you ready?) $500 for the year! Told you I was old.
Wonder if any old alums from anywhere have numbers showing the difference between then and now.
Ah, but I digress. ☠🏈$
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Kelly Boggs

Hardin-Simmons @ UMHB on October 6 under the lights in Crusader Stadium should be a good one. The Cowboys are loaded this year: https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sports/bch-sports-player-to-watch-alex-bell/1296874109

Go CRU!
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

CowboyAlum261

Quote from: MUC57 on July 12, 2018, 03:35:21 PM

CowboyAlum261

Just a small item for your information.
I post as MUC57 because when I was there it was Mount Union College. A few years back, it was changed to the University of Mount Union, or UMU. The NCAA refers to it as MtU. In post patterns, I see all three. So call us what you want - just don't call us late for dinner. OK, OK! I know that's old, but so am I. So there!

As an aside, present room and board plus tuition is around $35,000 a year. When I was a freshman in 1953, shortly after The Big Bang, I paid (are you ready?) $500 for the year! Told you I was old.
Wonder if any old alums from anywhere have numbers showing the difference between then and now.
Ah, but I digress. ☠🏈$

Thanks for the trivia! I've mainly seen MUC as a lurker in the boards, but that's good to know. $500 for a year is unimaginable to me. We've certainly come a long way in costs, which just highlights how outstanding and committed all of our D3 athletes who are able to make it work with no athletic scholarships!

D O.C.

QuoteDoes Ohio have a state magazine that covers all of your HS and College football previews like Texas does? We have Dave Campbells Football magazine. It covers news from top to bottom of amateur football. I'd be interested in seeing another state's version.

Do I not remember an Ohio vs. Texas H.S. All-Star game decades ago?

DFWCrufan

Dang MUC, did you have to swat off Dinosaurs from the dorm, or should I say cave entrances?  ;D  One of the things I found interesting is UMHB was established before Texas was a state, and they were in Bandit territory. I could imagine the orientation... "Welcome, if you see guys on horseback running really fast in this direction, under each bed is a shotgun, good luck! Oh and you have an English paper due as well"...(I don't think that is what it was but...)
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

umhb2001

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on July 12, 2018, 05:07:29 PM
Hardin-Simmons @ UMHB on October 6 under the lights in Crusader Stadium should be a good one. The Cowboys are loaded this year: https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sports/bch-sports-player-to-watch-alex-bell/1296874109

Go CRU!

Loaded, perhaps, but question marks at QB remain.

MUC57

DFWCrufan

What'd I do? What'd I do? You know I'm a fan of UMHB. Pretty sure we'll meet in The Stagg Bowl this year!
Mount Union was established in 1846. What do you suppose was happening then? OK, not like you described in Texas, but still! We had Indians, not the Cleveland Indians. Didn't have an Alamo. Don't think Sam Houston ever stopped here. Never had to fight Pancho Villa even once. Only Mexicans here had a taco cart just off campus. (I just made that up).
We also had no dinosaurs here. Although, I've heard some of the professors had been around for awhile.
Anyhoo, good luck on the season. I'm pretty sure you won't need it. Just think! You won't have to travel far for the Stagg Bowl this year. Nice. (Well, nice for you)!
Later, my friend! ☠🏈📚🇪🇺
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

crufootball

Not football news but word was just announced that UT Tyler will be officially leaving D3 after this year and be making their way through the D2 process.

I was always a bit worded about them if they were to ever start a football team, with the ability to recruit East Texas and Louisiana/Arkansas/Oklahoma fairly easily and be much cheaper than most of the ASC they could be really good as they are in numerous other sports.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: crufootball on July 13, 2018, 04:39:45 PM
Not football news but word was just announced that UT Tyler will be officially leaving D3 after this year and be making their way through the D2 process.

I was always a bit worded about them if they were to ever start a football team, with the ability to recruit East Texas and Louisiana/Arkansas/Oklahoma fairly easily and be much cheaper than most of the ASC they could be really good as they are in numerous other sports.

This was announced months ago.   I guess today it's official (as you said) but nobody doubted they would be D2 when they announced their intentions in February.   B-bye.   http://www.uttyler.edu/news/pressrelease/2018/02022018.php

Pat Coleman

Right -- but their intentions and Division II's intentions weren't guaranteed to be in alignment until this. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

umhb2001

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 13, 2018, 05:42:29 PM
Right -- but their intentions and Division II's intentions weren't guaranteed to be in alignment until this. :)

What are those intentions?

Also, what are the incentives for a school moving to D2? Obviously, scholarships, but is there something else?

Ralph Turner

My impression is the move to D3 was one of the imperatives of the new hire, President Michael Tidwell.

https://www.uttyler.edu/president/about.php

President Tidwell has been very vocal about a D2 mission and vision.

I am not sure why the UT Regents considered "D2" better than the very successful program they have in D3.

Going to the Gulf South Conference allows UT Tyler to develop its programs in the absence of a familiar metric... "Well you lost to TAMU-Commerce ... TAMU West Texas... Midwestern State ... by 40 points!"  that would be present in the Lone Star Conference.

Travel will be no less in the Gulf South Conference. It is more than 600 miles to University of West Florida.

Okay, only 592 to Pensacola which is equidistant to Alpine TX, and 850 miles to Valdosta GA,