119th Monon Bell Classic

Started by Breckenridgebear, November 17, 2011, 12:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1837Tigers

wallyworld12

Back at work after a fun weekend seeing friends and family in Greencastle and Crawfordsville. Was fortunate enough to meet the Bear, Danny Boy, and DPUIrish before the game. Thanks for your hospitality, hope to make it an annual trip behind enemy lines...

The Game was kind of anticlimatic. Sure the score was close until the later stages of the game, but it never REALLY felt close. DePauw's offense is abysmal, and they couldn't get much of anything going. Not many DePauw fans in attendance--Wabash could have saved $6,000 by not putting up extra bleachers on the Tiger sideline, the crowd would have easily fit inside the regular visitor's stands.

So, all in all, we are left knowing things that we already knew. Wabash still has the upper-hand, but maybe not by as much. I have to say, any recruit that was in attendance on Saturday, and solely makes their choice based on the game, would have to choose Wabash.

DePauw HAS to make major facility improvements, they HAVE to be competitive with financial aid, they HAVE to hire a young coach who is willing to build a program from the bottom-up. I think President Casey really wants DePauw football to improve, will he be able to get the rest of the University on board? Time will tell. Until then, lets enjoy having The Bell another 363 days, and keep it high atop the entry way of the Allen Center.

Until next summer, it's BASKETBALL SEASON!
"Then once again ye Wabash Men, three cheers for Alma Mater. What'er befall, revered by all may she unequaled stand."

1837Tigers

DPUIrish1

finally back to work myself.

a tip of the cap to Saturday -- minus the 3 hours from 1-4, enjoyed every second, as we usually do.  Couldn't beat the weather.

Great to meet a few of you here from the boards...thanks for making the trek over to do so.  Next year, we'll do it again. 

I feel like I got a good pulse of where the search is headed and how the facilities plan is going after Saturday.  Let's just say if all come to fruition, we should ALL get what we want.  A competitive game, the old, intense rivalry and playoff berths on the line for both schools come November in the coming years.

until then, I look forward to 362 days

1837Tigers

wally_wabash

Some quick (and belated) thoughts from the 119th edition...

- 27 accepted penalties, 18 on Wabash.  The game had almost zero flow and was very difficult to get into for any extended stretch.  Certainly not the most exciting installment in our series.  For every 2007 or 2001, you're going to wind up with a 2012 or 2004.  Nature of the beast. 

- DePauw is obviously way, way down.  The roster needs upgrading in a pretty big way.  Wabash has a good defense.  This we knew beforehand.  But DePauw took four snaps beyond midfield...rush for no gain, incomplete pass, incomplete pass, punt.  This on their third possession of the game in the first quarter.  They never got any closer to the endzone.  That really says it all. 

- How glad are we that Tyler Holmes played on Saturday?  He was questionable throughout the week, but Tyler stepped up and had a great Monon Bell game.  His 1,000 yard season is even more impressive when we know that he did not play in the first two games.  Can't wait to see Tyler bruising some more LBs next year. 

- Those two punts for 70 and 65 yards for Sobleski and Paul Simon (really?) were bombs.  High points of an otherwise plodding game. 

- Was nice to meet some of you guys over at the VOL for a few minutes.  We'll do it again down on your turf next year. 

I don't know where the bottom is for DePauw.  I'd like to think that 2-8 is probably about it.  We'll obviously all be keeping a keen eye on your coaching search. 

Congratulations to the Wabash seniors on a perfect record against DePauw.  I don't think it was the end that anybody anticipated for this senior class, but if it had to end, ending with a shutout of DePauw was the way to do it. 

See you all again next year for the 120th!
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Wabash Hokie

Re: North Coast Athletic Conference
« Reply #25142 on: Today at 05:28:14 pm »Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NCAA has posted a really neat article and video feature on the 119th Monon Bell Classic:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/champion+features/a+tone+of+tradition#sthash.snjflNcU.ySlnJTq7.dpbs
I especially like the quote from Pete Metzelaars, comparing the Bell game to the Super Bowl (did he play in four of each of them?).

Good luck to Witt this weekend.  Represent!

Thanks to Schwami for posting this on the NCAC board.

Breckenridgebear

DePauw Never Quits

"This happens every year. It's the mere stupidity of supposedly mature college kids acting like a bunch of horse's dicks." - Officer Keller, The Crawfordsville Police Department