BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

^^^ I almost jinxed it within hours as Mount survives a much-uglier-than-anticipated 1-0 win over Wilm in game 1.  Phil Mary throws his second consecutive CG shutout on the heels of doing the same to JCU a few days ago.  It's amazing what 18 scoreless frames can do to the old ERA. 

Dr. Acula

Watched the first game in Westerville today.  Cards win 11-10 in extras. If there's a better player in the OAC than Beachy I'd like to see him.  That kid is a stud.   

And yes, I went to Ott instead of going to watch Mount at Cap.  I'm glad I did because Mount lost the opener 3-2 and my car didn't get stolen in Westerville. 

Dr. Acula

Mount loses 5-4 in 15 to get swept at Cap.  Cap was 3-11 coming into today. On to 2019!  Good grief.

The only good news of the day is Ott sweeping so hopefully the OAC tourney is here and I can watch.

Dr. Acula

This is going to be a fun finish to the season.  Berg and BW deadlocked at 9-7 for the last spot in the OAC tourney.  BW holds the tiebreaker due to H2H, but Berg has Cap to finish up.  BW is sitting there with a sweep of JCU between them and the #4 spot.  A little rivalry DH with the postseason on the line!

As a side note, before the season I mentioned that there is very little difference between a lot of these teams.  Ott is in pole position to win the regular season.  BW has a decent chance of missing the OAC tourney completely.  Let me tell you having watched them play each other there is not a lot of difference between the two.  BW could have just as easily swept Ott.  The Jackets are a good ball club. 

Dr. Acula

Not a bad week OOC.  Etta sweeps Case, Berg beats LaRoche and Ott beats Franklin.  Racking up some top 25 wins this week.

Unrelated, but I heard yesterday that Cap may be moving their baseball field on campus.  Clowson isn't a bad field, but man it would be nice to actually play in Bexley if you're Cap.  With how scarce land is in Bexley I'm honestly surprised that Cap would pony up and invest that kind of dough in athletics though.  There has to be more to the story.

motorman

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 30, 2018, 02:09:36 PM
This is going to be a fun finish to the season.  Berg and BW deadlocked at 9-7 for the last spot in the OAC tourney.  BW holds the tiebreaker due to H2H, but Berg has Cap to finish up.  BW is sitting there with a sweep of JCU between them and the #4 spot.  A little rivalry DH with the postseason on the line!

As a side note, before the season I mentioned that there is very little difference between a lot of these teams.  Ott is in pole position to win the regular season.  BW has a decent chance of missing the OAC tourney completely.  Let me tell you having watched them play each other there is not a lot of difference between the two.  BW could have just as easily swept Ott.  The Jackets are a good ball club.

Bet you never dreamed Wilmington would sweep ONU and create a potential 3 way tie for 3-4-5 positions!

Dr. Acula

^^^ Absolutely incredible.  I'm not an expert on three-way tiebreakers, but if BW sweeps today to force it I thiiink they'd have to get down to the third tiebreaker to settle it.  All three swept each other (Berg swept ONU, ONU swept BW, BW swept Berg).

motorman

I think if BW wins both, Berg ends up 5th, if they split Berg is 3rd, ONU is 4th.

D3baseballparent

Quote from: motorman on May 06, 2018, 01:25:28 PM
I think if BW wins both, Berg ends up 5th, if they split Berg is 3rd, ONU is 4th.

I think tiebreaker is run differential in the head to head games between the 3 teams.

joelmama

No. 1 Otterbein (14-4), No. 2 Marietta (12-6), No. 3 Baldwin Wallace (11-7), No. 4 Ohio Northern (11-7)

joelmama

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 25, 2018, 11:34:35 PM
Thanks. Makes sense and I now have a metric to follow the season...  11-7.
No. 1 Otterbein (14-4), No. 2 Marietta (12-6), No. 3 Baldwin Wallace (11-7), No. 4 Ohio Northern (11-7)
Sounds like his advice was pretty accurate.   8-)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 25, 2018, 11:34:35 PM
Thanks. Makes sense and I now have a metric to follow the season...  11-7.

Quote from: joelmama on May 07, 2018, 02:05:07 PM
Thank you Dr Acula.

A 12-6 record seems to be a lock. 11-5 still leaves you on the tie-breaker bubble!

What parity in the conference.  Ott's 14-4 is really solid!

Dr. Acula

Ott is even more impressive when you remember that they were swept at Mount in the OAC opener so they're 14-2 since that bump in the road.  They went 11-1 in the final 2/3 of the conference schedule. 

I've seen 3 of the 4 teams in the tournament (no ONU) and Ott is the most complete team IMO.  I think BW is the next best of those 3.  BW just seemed like they had more big inning ability and playing at Ott for the tournament that can be dangerous, especially with Taw as a lefty with that short porch in RF.  Etta is solid, but they just don't have a combo like Taw/Marcum in their lineup this year. 

Dr. Acula

BW dropped the hammer on Etta yesterday 19-5.  4 in the 1st and 7 in the 2nd pretty much put that one to bed early.  Ott got a walk off 2-run homer in the bottom of the 9th to beat ONU 4-2.

BW using the big inning again this morning.  Jackets are up 9-5 in the 5th and have chased Ott's SP (Putnam).   

Ralph Turner

Etta and BWC BWU were #4 seeds.

Who would have thought both would have lost in the Regional openers?