WBB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by luvleeballa21, November 11, 2004, 10:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

Pat, after reading all the charges and the findings, I thought Kean's women's bball team would get a multiple season post-season ban – or even a season or two without a program.  Next comes the former AD's lawsuit against the university...

MVP

What a disgrace for the Kean WBB program.  More to come.

jknezek

Kean picks Washington and Lee's Mandy King to be their next head coach. Coach King turned around the performance of the W&L program and led them out of a dark period to be a very credible program. She is a great coach and W&L will miss her greatly.

Why exactly she chose to step into the Kean debacle is beyond me. There has been a recruiting drop off at W&L in the last few years, possibly indicative of a desire to leave or an inability to get the kids she wanted through admissions. If I was still at school and a student journalist, I'd be interested to hear why she was willing to try and pick up Kean's pieces.

All that being said, she is an excellent coach with a flawless ethical reputation and a very good repoir with her student-athletes. Kean, if it can overcome its stigma, should do very well with her in charge.

Good luck Coach King, and thanks for all the hard work over the last decade or so at W&L.

phil

Quote from: jknezek on May 16, 2012, 12:47:18 PM
All that being said, she is an excellent coach with a flawless ethical reputation and a very good repoir with her student-athletes. Kean, if it can overcome its stigma, should do very well with her in charge.

That's why Kean chose her. Any misstep by KU over the next few years and the NCAA will come down hard. A sterling reputation at an excellent private school and no skeletons in the closet comes first – and on-court performance second. As to why she would take this job is anyone's guess. There's at least two lawsuits stemming from this mess ... a possible loss of the University's Middle States Accreditation ... budget woes ... and 94% of faculty members at Kean University voted no confidence in the university's Board of Trustees this week saying they had lost faith in the board and the President. Yeah, fun place to be right now. Have a good time on the recruiting trail.

rams1102

Congraulations to the Lady Red Hawks. 29-1 is not to shaby. I started to follow the girls on line this year. I never went to a game or posted because I would hex them. They are a young team and the program should be good for many years. Even shooting 38% and -0- fer from 3, we had the lead with 10 minutes left. Good luck to CNU, they will need it against DePauw. I think we will see DePauw and Hope in the finals. Thank you Lady Red Hawks for an enjoyable season.
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

gordonmann

We've released our All-Americans. Congratulations to Melissa Tobie.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2013/03/womens-all-americans

rams1102

Congrats to Melissa and we have her for (2) more years. Awsome !!!
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

sp0rtsfan

Tough loss for MSU against Vassar last night....It seems the Red Hawks are at an extreme disadvantage this season without  S. Brown as the rebounding is now on the sole shoulders of Tobie; not a realistic expectation as Melissa already does so much for the team.  It would be interesting to know the real reason Brown left a great program and defected to FDU.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Another Hoopsville episode is lined up for tonight (Sunday, January 26). Join us as we catch up on the last few days and talk to #13 Montclair St. WBB coach Karin Harvey and the following guests:

- #11 York (Pa.) WBB coach Betsy Witman
- Marian MBB coach Mark Boyle
- Babson MBB coach Stephen Brennan
- Guilford MBB coach Tom Palombo
- Plus we introduce you to Division III athletes, a capella, and a great recruiting tool for Washington College.

You can tune into Hoopsville on our website or here.

Also don't forget to interact with the show via:
- Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com

And don't forget to consider helping Hoopsville. We have an ongoing fundraising campaign to help improve the show. For more information read our blog story or go to our fundraising website.

Thank you and enjoy the show!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Knightstalker

What is going on in the NJAC this year?  The NJCU women are not the bottom feeders, RU Camden is and both the NJCU men and women could make the conference tournament this year for the first time that I can recall.  It makes my head hurt thinking about it.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

phil

Quote from: sp0rtsfan on December 12, 2013, 12:04:04 PM
It would be interesting to know the real reason Brown left a great program and defected to FDU.

In hindsight, it would seem she left to win a national championship while getting a private school education.

gordonmann

I asked Shalette Brown why she left Montclair and she explained it was for academic reasons.  From our feature on her:

http://www.d3hoops.com/playoffs/women/2014/brown-final-piece-for-fdu-florham

As Brown explains, she enjoyed playing basketball at Montclair, but "for me it was about the academics and being a student athlete."  She wasn't able to get into the communications major right away at Montclair and didn't want to extend her college career another year.  So she looked at transferring to FDU-Florham.

As I understand it, she had a choice of staying at Montclair, trying to get in the communications major and extending her schooling by a year or transferring to FDU, entering its communications major and finishing her schooling in four years.

phil

Good for her. In the end, she transferred for all the right reasons ... and I'd say it worked out pretty well for her!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Despite technical problems over the last few weeks, Sunday's edition of Hoopsville has not been derailed by Mother Nature's rath! Three-feet of snow and still we will get two-hours of the show all thanks to that wonderful home studio.

Tonight, Dave McHugh talks to programs who are storming the competition right now. Whether in the midst of long winning streaks or dominating their conference, these programs are making the turn at five weeks to go in pretty good shape.

You can tune into Hoopsville tonight starting at 7:00 PM ET right here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/jan24

Guest include (in order):
- Cherise Galasso, WPI women's coach
- Gabby Lisella, No. 22 Rowan women's coach
- Kris Huffman, DePauw women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Mike McGrath, No. 12 Chicago men's coach
- Bert West, East Texas Baptist men's coast It isn't easy to coach at any level. It is a joy to coach Division III says many a coach. Some enjoy it on their way up the ladder, others on their way closer to retirement, and others as their passion.

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

And don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For the third consecutive year, Hoopsville will air for 12 hours as the regular season enters the final four weeks. Dave McHugh will chat with coaches, administrators, student-athletes, and others involved in Division III basketball from around the country. Other guests will include those who have Division III roots or appreciate the division and the game along with the student-athletes who play the sport.

Hoopsville will air from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (and maybe later) on Thursday, February 4 live from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can see what guests are scheduled, get more information, and watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/feb4

You can also read the press release about the show: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/hoopsville-marathon-2016

Here is the guest list as we speak. All times are Eastern and subject to change. Additional guests to be added if and when necessary:

TimeGuestSchool
10:15amConnie TilleySt. Norbert (WBB) - WBCA Center Court
10:40amJamie PurdyPeidmont (WBB)
11:00amKeri CarolloUW-Whitewater (WBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
11:20amBrent PollariSaint Mary's (Minn.) (WBB)
11:40amKent MadsenNo. 21 Wheaton (Ill.) (WBB)
12:00pmRussell LoydRose-Hulman (MBB)
12:20pmKevin BroderickNazareth (MBB)
12:40pmJustin ScottArcadia (MBB)
1:00pmSam HargravesNo. 12 Alma (MBB)
1:20pmLenny ReichMount Union (SID)
1:40pmMaureen WebsterClarkson (WBB)
2:00pmBetsy WitmanYork (Pa.) (WBB)
2:20pmSara LeeDenison (WBB)
2:40pmKlay KneuppelWisconsin Lutheran (MBB)
3:00pmBrian Van HaaftenBuena Vista (MBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
3:30pmSydney MossNo. 1 Thomas More (WBB)
3:45pmAaron RousellBucknell (WBB) - former Chicago coach
4:00pmTim ShanahanStaten Island (WBB)
4:20Pat CunninghamTrinity (Texas) (MBB) - NABC Coach's Corner
4:50pmBubba SmithSewanee (MBB)
5:15pmBen StrongFormer Guilford All-American
5:30pmKevin ConnorsESPN SportsCenter Anchor - Ithaca alumnus
6:00pmKristen DowlingClaremont-Mudd-Scripps (WBB)
6:20pmAllison ColemanSage (WBB)
6:40pmLandry KosmalskiSwarthmore (MBB)
7:00pmDave NilandNo. 23 Penn State-Behrend (MBB)
7:20pmAaron GallettaLasell (MBB)
7:40pmJohn BaronGwynedd-Mercy (MBB)
8:00pm
8:20pm
8:40pmMelissa HodgdonWheaton (Mass.) (WBB)
9:00pmG.P. GromackiNo. 2 Amherst (WBB)
9:20pmJames Wagner
9:40pmHAPPY HOURFree-for-all of calls, tweets, and fun!

We hope to get at least the full show on a podcast, or several podcast, during the on Friday. You can find it here:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

And a reminder the Hoopsville Fundraising Project has begun yet again. Please consider helping us cover Division III basketball the way it deserves to be covered. If you can not donate, please don't worry about - we understand. At least share the campaign with anyone you think might be interested: http://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser/x/6029509

Also, if you know any advertisers interested in promoting their company or products on the show, send them our way: hoopsville@d3hoops.com

Thanks!