MLB Topics

Started by Mr. Ypsi, February 08, 2008, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

[Jim, the soccer board has a pretty active thread on the World Cup and European Leagues.  If you'd prefer to keep this purely d3, feel free to delete this thread.]

Assuming they don't get picked up by anyone this season (seemingly increasingly likely), Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Roger Clemens will all first become eligible for Hall of Fame consideration in the December 2112 balloting. 

a) All seem obvious first-ballot winners on the 'merits'; all seem doubtful based on the steroids allegations.  What an election that will be!  Predictions?

b) For other players on the ballot that year, are their chances increased, decreased, or unchanged?

Jim Dixon

I imagine that any baseball fan is interested in just more than D-III Baseball

Mr. Ypsi

While he had no connection to d3 (as far as I know), baseball in general lost one of its all-time greatest characters today.  Details are still sketchy, but apparently a truck he was working on on his farm fell on him.

He was rookie-of-the-year in 1976, going 19-9, but injury quickly shut down what might have been a HoF career (his remaining 4 years, he only went 10-10).  Imagine if the '84 Tigers (who began the season 35-5 and coasted to a WS title) had ALSO had 'the bird' just entering his prime! :o

He was probably the most entertaining player I have ever seen.  RIP :'( :'(

Ralph Turner

Stump

I agree one of the most entertaining player I can remember. Too bad he couldn't have stayed healthy. RIP Mark.
And Harry Kalas one of the great voices. RIP Harry.

Mr. Ypsi

And apparently a needless shame about his career.  I just read an article which reminded me of something I'd forgotten - his 'suddenly dead arm' his 2nd year turned out to be a torn rotator cuff, not diagnosed until 1985! :( 

He and Herb Score are two 'not to be' pitching careers that will always make me wonder what might have been.

Mr. Ypsi

Fidrych was paid the munificent sum of $16,500 in 1976.  Based on attendance figures for games he pitched vs. all other Tigers games, he put about 300,000 extra fans in the stands.  Arguably, he was the most underpaid athlete in the history of professional sports.

He didn't care.  He was a happy camper to the day he died.

In all the years I've lived in Michigan, I've only personally attended two Tigers games.  One was (in a pre-game event) to pitch to my 'Beeper Ball' team (a sport for blind players - the ball beeps and the bases emit sirens).  The players' jobs are to have a consistent swing; the pitcher's job is to hit their bats.  The players also field.  If they pick up the ball before the batter reaches base, the player is out; otherwise it is a run.  My players faced a team of former Tigers wearing blindfolds - we killed 'em!  The other was to watch The Bird.  I'm undecided which is my favorite memory.

Ralph Turner

You catch the video clips and interviews with "The Bird" and baseball is fun again.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 13, 2009, 10:35:19 PM
In all the years I've lived in Michigan, I've only personally attended two Tigers games. 

Another sport you don't attend games for? I only lived in Michigan for four years and I saw six times as many Tigers games as you did!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 13, 2009, 11:43:05 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 13, 2009, 10:35:19 PM
In all the years I've lived in Michigan, I've only personally attended two Tigers games. 

Another sport you don't attend games for? I only lived in Michigan for four years and I saw six times as many Tigers games as you did!

Touche'!

But I bet I've attended infinitely more youth soccer, basketball, hockey, lacrosse, etc., games than you! :D

[And coached many of them. :)  It still feels weird to sit at a soccer game!]

Professional sports just don't really interest me - I've also attended one Pistons game, and zero Lions or Red Wings games.  You see it better (and cheaper) on TV.

Just Bill

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 14, 2009, 12:00:17 AM
Professional sports just don't really interest me - I've also attended...and zero Lions...games. 

I thought you said professional sports?  Seriously, who could hold you in contempt for that?
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Just Bill on April 14, 2009, 12:10:45 AM
Professional sports just don't really interest me - I've also attended...and zero Lions...games. 

I thought you said professional sports?  Seriously, who could hold you in contempt for that?

Now, now - they had several championships when I was a kid!  Just none since I moved to Michigan and gave a hoot. ;D

They now call it 'the curse of Bobby Layne'.  Apparently he was not happy about being traded.  Unfortunately, except for retrospectives, I have no idea who that greatest of Lions' QBs was! ;)

OshDude

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 14, 2009, 12:21:02 AM
Quote from: Just Bill on April 14, 2009, 12:10:45 AM

Now, now - they had several championships when I was a kid!  Just none since I moved to Michigan and gave a hoot. ;D

They now call it 'the curse of Bobby Layne'.  Apparently he was not happy about being traded.  Unfortunately, except for retrospectives, I have no idea who that greatest of Lions' QBs was! ;)
I went to one Lions game in Pontiac (vs. Packers several years ago). Sat one row from the very top, but I was on TV after every Packers score. Musta been the Cheesehead I was wearing. Found it really weird when I got home to find out the announcers were talking about me. I'll never know how they found me near the endzone roof that day. Anyway, that's my Pontiac story. Oh, and we had to park about 2000 miles from the stadium, in some random grass field. Alas, the Pack lost that day.

I was also at the Packers/Lions playoff game when the good guys held Barry to negative yardage. I hung out with Lesley Visser for a long time that day. I get better seats at Lambeau ... mostly good memories when someone brings up the Lions.

WLCALUM83

Forgive me for going slightly off-topic here, but just I just read about the passing of another broadcaster here:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/43075877.html

:'( :'(

(A couple of weeks back I remember hearing about the Chicago area losing 2 broadcasters the same day--Johnny "Red" Kerr and Norm Van Lier)