Potential Playoff Selections / Seedings

Started by HScoach, October 26, 2008, 11:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

The discussion of brackets came up on the CCIW page and I thought it would be interesting to start the discussion on a national basis with the season winding down.  Obviously a lot could and will change over the last 3 weeks, but I think it's never too early to start thinking about Week 11.

Quote from: Matilda on October 25, 2008, 11:20:54 PM
With NCC's win tonight, it makes me wonder where they will land in the polls...now I know the polls don't mean diddally-poo and that they are just something for fans and former players to brag about BUT.........

The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ranked teams go down today. There are two teams currently ahead of the Cards who did not lose today.  They are Wabash and Muhlenberg.
Could winning the little brass bell sling the cards at least to a number 3 ranking? We'll find out next time on d3football.com (tv batman theme music)

The D3 poll might not mean anything but if NCC can finish the season 10-0, they could easily be the #2 seed in the entire bracket behind Mount Union.  Or at worst #3.  Which after last year's shuffling of the teams in the playoff bracket would put the Cardinals as far away from MUC as possible in the brackets. 

Honestly I hope this happens because the CCIW champs have been a tough out over the years for the Raiders and I would like to see if they could make a run deep into the playoffs if they didn't have to meet up with MUC in the 2nd round as has happened so many times in the last decade.

With WWW and MHB both falling today, I would pick the following as the regional #1 seeds and the ranking of the brackets themselves.

#1  Mount Union (north)

#2  North Central (west)

#3  Muhlenberg (east)

#4  Mary Hardin Baylor or W&J (south) - I think MHB still has a chance because their loss is outside of D3
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

PA_wesleyfan

If Cortland St stay undefeated they get the east no.1
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

ADL70

This discussion might be more appropriate after the Regional Rankings come out...Wednesday, I believe.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Schwami

The regional rankings will keep the teams in their natural brackets (North Central in the North, Muhlenberg in the South).

Of course, playoff seedings won't necessarily follow that model, as last year demonstrated.
Long shall we sing thy praises, Old Wabash

PA_wesleyfan

There are two many head to head match ups left.
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

redswarm81

Quote from: hscoach on October 26, 2008, 11:11:24 AM
The discussion of brackets came up on the CCIW page and I thought it would be interesting to start the discussion on a national basis with the season winding down.  Obviously a lot could and will change over the last 3 weeks, but I think it's never too early to start thinking about Week 11.

:o  Coach, you don't ever speak such words in front of your team, do you?   ;)
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

Josh Bowerman

My best guess for the South Region right now is this:

3) Mary Hardin-Baylor at 1) Millsaps
6) Trinity at 4) Hardin-Simmons

8 ) ODAC winner at 2) Washington & Jefferson
7) Huntingdon/LaGrange winner at 5) AFCA Winner

UMHB and Millsaps are the only two ASC/SCAC teams that can play each other in the first round without a flight.  Because the AA didn't follow their own procedures correctly the last time both teams were in the playoffs, it led to a scheduling of a conference rematch in the first round (which is something the committee has said they try to avoid).  I'm sure they won't make that mistake twice, though, and it to me, a first-roung pairing looks inevitable.

I think the odds are good that either Muhlenberg or Washington & Jefferson will get shipped to the East Region, as hscoach mentioned earlier.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

muledaddy

Gents,

ship the Mules if you must,  but only if we need a no 1 in the East...otherwise, let me get some payback with wesley in the South.......

Mr. Ypsi

Right now it seems unlikely the West region will produce 8 teams.  Last year the Committee selected 4 #1 seeds, then built 'regions'.  The North currently has the top three teams in the poll (and Wabash can't really go elsewhere - possibly South - while MUC seems unneeded in East or South).

My conclusion (though with plenty of football still to go): North Central (geographically, only about 15 miles less 'west' than Whitewater) may be 'imported' as the 'West' #1.  Comments?

[My hope is that IWU will render all this moot in Naperville Saturday, but even my 'green blood' won't reflect that in the pickems! ;D]

EDIT:  I just re-read hscoach's starting post - guess I'm not as 'outside-the-box' as I thought! :-[

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: muledaddy on October 27, 2008, 06:47:28 PM

Gents,

ship the Mules if you must,  but only if we need a no 1 in the East...otherwise, let me get some payback with wesley in the South.......

Last time you were shipped to the East it didnt turn out so well, you sure you want to do that?

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on October 27, 2008, 04:18:23 PM
My best guess for the South Region right now is this:

3) Mary Hardin-Baylor at 1) Millsaps
6) Trinity at 4) Hardin-Simmons

8 ) ODAC winner at 2) Washington & Jefferson
7) Huntingdon/LaGrange winner at 5) AFCA Winner

UMHB and Millsaps are the only two ASC/SCAC teams that can play each other in the first round without a flight.  Because the AA didn't follow their own procedures correctly the last time both teams were in the playoffs, it led to a scheduling of a conference rematch in the first round (which is something the committee has said they try to avoid).  I'm sure they won't make that mistake twice, though, and it to me, a first-roung pairing looks inevitable.

I think the odds are good that either Muhlenberg or Washington & Jefferson will get shipped to the East Region, as hscoach mentioned earlier.

I think this illustrates how stacked the South is. All of the teams you've mentioned in your bracket seem like very logical and solid choices, and yet what's not included is the USA South's champ, which (whether it's CNU or Ferrum) doesn't seem likely to ship to another region. They'd have to fit in there somehow. Who else would get moved away? As was mentioned, maybe W&J in addition to Muhlenberg?
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

Pat Coleman

Keith and I discuss one possibility for that in the ATN podcast, actually.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CobberFvr

Regional rankings come out this week, yes?

Ron Boerger

Yes.  Wednesday if the NCAA remembers that there is such a thing a Division III in time.

redswarm81

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 27, 2008, 09:04:31 PM
Yes.  Wednesday if the NCAA remembers that there is such a thing a Division III in time.

Ron, you're too young to be so cynical.   ;)
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977