WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

An AP story I read elsewhere referenced players leaving over excessive amounts of practice time, with some interesting statements from a parent of a player. However, I couldn't find another story where those allegations were addressed, so I decided to leave it out of our news story.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Pat, her stint at Austin College tells me she can live within the time constraints in D3.

I also assume that the hiring committee at LC did their due diligence on issues of "university fit".

I appreciate your coverage of her hiring.  I just hope that the LC SID thought of you first, but I am not sure. :-\ ???

LC-DBO

Why in the article that is posted on D3 Hoops is an added section about her that is not in our press release?

Pat Coleman

Because we are a news site, not a Louisiana College PR site. We augment school's news releases with additional information all the time.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

LC-DBO

Ok ... I'm sorry I didn't know. Well anyway I am the assistant coach for the Men's team and we researched her very well. There is more details behind that story. She is a great Christian woman that I believe will fit well into the Lady Cats program.

Pat Coleman

I'm sure she will, and as Ralph mentioned, she has done well at like institutions. However, a news story should include as many facts as are available. Obviously a school's news release doesn't have the same mission. Why the local paper didn't do the research is another question.

Ralph Turner

LC-DBO, I suspect that your new women's coach has had her life's epiphany.

When she was younger, she was very successful at a challenging job at Wilmer-Hutchins, and at a well-respected D3 school, Austin College, and then she made the jump to D2, bringing success to a tough program at Texas Wesleyan.

When the chance to move to D1 opened, she moved an had success in the conference and the W-L columns.

Whatever transpired in the Montana State University's perception of "fit" is where she met her match.  Things happened.  She experienced a situation in which I will bet her faith carried her through.  She moved to Winthrop (a D1 as an assistant) in an environment more to her liking and where she could assess what she needed to be doing next.

She has probably determined what she needs to be doing next, and assuming that she is a good "theological" fit for Louisiana College by virtue of the due diligence you have done on her, she has probably found her calling.

There are lots of very good women's players and programs coming out of Louisiana, LSU, LaTech, Coach Kim Mulkey-Robinson at Baylor, Southland Conference schools...

I anticipate that she will be very successful at LC.  I hope that she has found her home. :)

LC-DBO

Here is an article in today's paper that helps everyone see who see really is and why is a great pick for our program ... http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060405/SPORTS/604050321/1006

Pat Coleman

Nice to see the newspaper almost doing its homework. I always thought it was better to get both sides of the story but at least it got one side of the story instead of the zero it got the last time around.

Josh Bowerman

Good article;  sounds like they asked the appropriate questions.

This account is sort o what I expected to see, honestly, and I'd be absolutely fine with the hire if I were an LC supporter.  Looks like the new coach is going to be one to firmly stick to her guns--even under pressure.  I know that's something that the LC folks will welcome.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

Ralph Turner

Good to see that McMurry is picking up some good recruits.

Cassie Lyles, a 6'0" post "with a shooter's touch" from Benjamin HS is coming to McMurry.

fanstand

Just a note, heard today that Julie Goodenough got a DI job in South Carolina. I'm sorry don't remember the name of the school, but since things are so slow thought I might throw that out there.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: fanstand on May 30, 2006, 09:41:53 PM
Just a note, heard today that Julie Goodenough got a DI job in South Carolina. I'm sorry don't remember the name of the school, but since things are so slow thought I might throw that out there.

fanstand, thanks for the post. 

I "googled" Julie Goodenough and found out that Julie is running a crochet web site.

http://www.juliegoodenough.com/

You know, crocheting may prevent technical fouls, if you can control the crochet hooks! :D ;) :) ::) 8)

Julie is going to Charleston Southern in the Big South Conference, the conference to which Birmingham Southern belongs.

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/

inthepaint

Quote from: fanstand on May 30, 2006, 09:41:53 PM

I hope Coach Goodnenough has the sort of success she saw at HSU.  She is a terrific person who deserves the best.  She is much more than a great basketball coach - she is a marvelous individual.

calhsu

Somebody had to say something.

I wonder why HSU men have had there schedule up for a while and still none for the women?