WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calhsu

Finally the HSU schedule.  They are playing Trinity again.

inthepaint

GOOD!  I hope HSU is playing as many true national contenders as possible! 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: inthepaint on August 11, 2006, 02:28:13 PM
GOOD!  I hope HSU is playing as many true national contenders as possible! 

I know that they play Defending (2006) ASC Champion McMurry at least twice, and maybe as many as four times next year! ;D

inthepaint

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 12, 2006, 12:54:20 PM
I know that they play Defending (2006) ASC Champion McMurry at least twice, and maybe as many as four times next year! ;D

Touché!

calhsu

I had a little surprise when I checked the roster.  I wondered who the new six foot senior center was.  Clicked on the picture,  I guess someone got married.   Best wishes,  just wait one year at least for off spring.

WLCALUM83

Noticed one of last season's reserve guards (Shamika Conaway) isn't listed on this season's HSU basketball roster. I remember hearing she lost a relative toward the end of last season. Anybody know anything further? (As long as she's OK health-wise).

thundercat

I see that HPU is opening the season with Trinity.  Should be a very interesting opening game!

fanstand

Seems like a long offseason. Getting ready to gear up and make some predictions. I am ready to stir it up once again. Ready to go toe to toe, calhsu? We could be ready to rumble again.......Last year was a great year for the ASC West, bet this year will be a good one too! The East didn't do so bad either, I think they will be tough this year. But I am not quite ready to make any yet, (predictions that is....) Gentleman and ladies, get your thinking caps on, regular season workouts are about 3 weeks away.

calhsu

Fanstand .... so glad to hear you will be around to mix it up this year.  I do agree that it will be a tight   this year.   The years of complete control by HSU are over no doubt about it.  McMurry has won a conference championship and will want more.  HPU beat everyone once and got nothing but knows they were right there.   HSU though, got a monkey off their back,  went to a new level by making the final four.   The biggest questions facing HSU will be how they will be without West,  and will any underclass big bodies step up to fill in.       When I make my trip to Abilene in October  for homecoming I do plan to drive through the McM campus,  no curses I promise.

thundercat

Speaking of underclassmen, what are people hearing about incoming freshmen and transfers coming to the different schools.  Are there any difference makers coming into the conference?

thundercat

Division III News Preseason Poll

1. Scarnton 31-2
2. Southern Maine 32-2
3. Baldwin Wallace 27-5
4. Hope 33-1
5. NYU 18-8
6. DePauw 29-2
7. Bowdoin 27-3
8. Messiah 26-3
9. Wis.-Stout 22-8
10. Carroll 22-5
11. Bates 19-9
12. Bridgewater (Va.) 24-7
13. Mary Washington 29-2
14. Hardin Simmons 24-7
15. Calvin 23-5
16. Wheaton (Ill.) 25-5
17. Wis.- Stevens Point 20-8
18. Wilmington 19-8
19. St. Benedict 21-6
20. Washington (Mo.) 25-3
21. McMurry (26-3)
22. Williams (23-6)
23. Maryville (Tenn.) 23-7
24. Simpson 24-5
25. Salem State 23-5

pirateonthebrazos

What a bunch of bunk with HSU ranked 14th pre-season and only graduating 1 from the entire roster!  East Coast press....is all I can figure, I was guessing they would come in about 7.   So much for ratings.
      The Am. Sw. will be a dog fight this this.  I believe that at the Conference Tourney last year there were only a total of 7 Seniors on all of the combined rosters.  This will be a very interesting year to see who comes out on top as all the the top teams are very talented. 

pirateonthebrazos

Conaway for HSU has dropped out of basketball.  She is a nursing major and it is impossible to do both.  Great girl!  Good luck to her!!  HSU will miss her defense as she helped out a great deal during the stretch run to the final 4 with Hauk out with a knee injury.

thundercat

These polls are all about politics and who you know anyway!  How else can you explain McM being as low as they are with their talent and HPU not on there at all when they only lost 1 senior that wasn't a regular for them!  I swear, HSU could be 5-20 one season and would still be in the top 25.  Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of talent and solid history, but they tend to get votes they don't always deserve.  It would take numerous losses for them to drop out of the top 25 where as other teams would drop out after only one!  You should be happy with the ranking!

WWWRHH

Having attended the final four in Springfield, it appears to me that the pre-season rankings reflect end of season / tournament performances more than "politics".  D3 fans (and pollsters) have very little opportunity to see and compare out of region teams.  HSU's sound defeat in the semi-finals by a team that was also soundly beat in the finals does little to help the rankings of the foes it dispatched early in the tournament.

Hope, Scranton and Southern Maine had to get past some very tough teams in close games to reach Springfield and those teams are heavily represented above HSU.  The top team have many key performers back.  Hope's #4 ranking is probably due to the loss of two starters (including MVP Bria Ebels), but since the Dutch used a ten person rotation they should be strong again this year.  Scranton also returns a deep team and lost to Hope by only 3 pts. as did U of Washington - St. Louis.

But as we all know, at the end of the year it is wins and losses that matter - not opinions.