BB: Regionals (Midwest) Oshkosh '08, '09, Whitewater '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Here is the message board for postings related to the Oshkosh WI Regional.

OshDude

I'd say that's pretty tough.
Nothing like CSS vs. WW and Carthage vs. UWO to get things started.

OshDude

Wednesday
10 a.m.:    St. Thomas vs. Knox
1:15 p.m.: Whitewater vs. St. Scholastica
4:30 p.m.: Carthage vs. Oshkosh

Good news is Dude won't have to skip class to see UWO.

supermiac

YOW! That's a tough regional. Oddly enough taking Stevens Point AWAY from the regional may have strengthened a bit now that they added Carthage. Whichever way you look at it, I think this (with the exception of lowly Knox) is undoubtedly the most difficult regional in the couple. The Central regional is very tough too though.

OshDude

Kummet (RHP) or Burg (LHP) for CSS? I'd go with Kummet. Some good LH bats for WW, although WW beat Demmin and lost to Thrun. Hard to judge that. Carthage always crushes fastballs, so Burg might be better in game two. If it's Oshkosh in round two, the Titans have a lot of left-handed bats like CSS does. Burg makes sense there, too. Plus Burg cruised past UWO earlier this year. The drawback is Kummet threw on Saturday, making Burg the preferred choice based on rest.

Dominick (RHP) or Dott (LHP) for WW? Makes sense to have Claugherty, Eller, Gaub, Marshik and Kraushaar face a LHP. Is that the logic or do you go with the more experienced No. 1 (Dominick) no matter what? I'd roll the dice with the younger Dott. Dominick is a nice guy to fall back on in game two.

Demmin (LHP) or Rubens (Perlewitz as a sleeper pick) for UWO? Gotta be Ryno, right? He's been iffy lately, but Acevado could use a LHP coming at him. Acevado will probably hit no matter what, but I'd rather take my chances with a LHP. And Rube is valuable as a reliever for the whole tourney. Rube might pitch in every game but start none of them. Perle, Matson, Kuepper and Hendricks (if UWO makes it to Friday) could eat innings to bridge the gap to Rube in the perfect scenario.

Any doubts that Husing starts for Carthage? I have no doubts about that, but maybe a Carthage fan knows something I don't. Maybe, maybe use Perez to face all of UWO's LH bats, but I highly doubt anyone but Husing goes in game one.

Any reason for St. Thomas to throw Robinson or Schuld against Knox? I think the Tommies plan for the future and start either Fahey or Olson (and maybe even deeper in the staff to Gibbs, Kramer or Bruchu) and save Robinson and Schuld by going with a committee at worst, and a CG from one of those guys at best. If the Toms get away with that, they're sitting pretty.

Knox will probably go with Ball on short rest, although everyone is on short rest for Knox after the gauntlet it went through to win the MWC Pool A. Could be Davis, though.

As much as I'd like to pick Oshkosh to win, I think St. Thomas will beat Whitewater in the final. I'm throwing the first jinx this time. Any other predictions? Anyone doubt that there are five legit contenders? Stacked as usual ...

Point has a tough matchup in the opener down south. Win that one and I like Point's chances for Appleton with Nix against either Augie or Wartburg in game two. I'm assuming Nix doesn't pitch the first game.

ShineTime

I'm surprised people aren't complaining more that UWSP got into an easier regional.  I was happy as hell this morning when I seen they don't have to play Carthage, St. Thomas, Oshkosh, or Whitewater.  Not saying their regional is a cakewalk but it's nowhere near as tough as the Oshkosh regional IMO.

REDMENFAN

Oshdude, I'd guess you're right on your assumption Husing will start.  He's been Carthage's ace all year, although Ruffie has been equally impressive.  Since Chris Krepline went down about a month ago (needs arm surgery), Perez has stepped in and done a nice job in the #3 spot as a freshman for the Redmen.  Krepline was a tall hard throwing righty who was having a great year. He played for the first year summer team out of green bay last summer (forget the name) and had a nice season for them as well.  Augie and Lechnir going at it in both teams first game, gotta love it!!

BaseballFan

5 first things that came to my mind

1. Tough regional as usual
2. STP very happy to be in the central
3. I thought Carthage was given a gift to get the 3 seed after going 5-7 in the last 12 games
4. CSS doesnt get much love again with a 5 seed
5. UST will be able to say their top 3 guys in the first game

BaseballFan

Quote from: OshDude on May 12, 2008, 05:19:52 AM
Kummet (RHP) or Burg (LHP) for CSS? I'd go with Kummet. Some good LH bats for WW, although WW beat Demmin and lost to Thrun. Hard to judge that. Carthage always crushes fastballs, so Burg might be better in game two. If it's Oshkosh in round two, the Titans have a lot of left-handed bats like CSS does. Burg makes sense there, too. Plus Burg cruised past UWO earlier this year. The drawback is Kummet threw on Saturday, making Burg the preferred choice based on rest.

Dominick (RHP) or Dott (LHP) for WW? Makes sense to have Claugherty, Eller, Gaub, Marshik and Kraushaar face a LHP. Is that the logic or do you go with the more experienced No. 1 (Dominick) no matter what? I'd roll the dice with the younger Dott. Dominick is a nice guy to fall back on in game two.

Demmin (LHP) or Rubens (Perlewitz as a sleeper pick) for UWO? Gotta be Ryno, right? He's been iffy lately, but Acevado could use a LHP coming at him. Acevado will probably hit no matter what, but I'd rather take my chances with a LHP. And Rube is valuable as a reliever for the whole tourney. Rube might pitch in every game but start none of them. Perle, Matson, Kuepper and Hendricks (if UWO makes it to Friday) could eat innings to bridge the gap to Rube in the perfect scenario.

Any doubts that Husing starts for Carthage? I have no doubts about that, but maybe a Carthage fan knows something I don't. Maybe, maybe use Perez to face all of UWO's LH bats, but I highly doubt anyone but Husing goes in game one.

Any reason for St. Thomas to throw Robinson or Schuld against Knox? I think the Tommies plan for the future and start either Fahey or Olson (and maybe even deeper in the staff to Gibbs, Kramer or Bruchu) and save Robinson and Schuld by going with a committee at worst, and a CG from one of those guys at best. If the Toms get away with that, they're sitting pretty.

Knox will probably go with Ball on short rest, although everyone is on short rest for Knox after the gauntlet it went through to win the MWC Pool A. Could be Davis, though.

As much as I'd like to pick Oshkosh to win, I think St. Thomas will beat Whitewater in the final. I'm throwing the first jinx this time. Any other predictions? Anyone doubt that there are five legit contenders? Stacked as usual ...

Point has a tough matchup in the opener down south. Win that one and I like Point's chances for Appleton with Nix against either Augie or Wartburg in game two. I'm assuming Nix doesn't pitch the first game.

UST-  will use a #4 against Knox Probably start Ryan Fahey or Jake Kraemer
UWW- probably goes with Dott, CSS- goes with Burg hes been pitching way than Kummet
Carthage -Husing  UWO- Demmin, use Rubens from closer role

voice

A couple of things...

Even though I love the fact UWW is staying in the Oshkosh Regional, I'm sort of suprised that Stevens Point was the WIAC team shipped out to Rock Island. 

I guess I thought the same thing when the UWW football team was placed in the North instead of the West last Fall.

Does UWSP get a break by not having to play in the Oshkosh region?

mwunder

Quote from: BaseballFan on May 12, 2008, 08:30:27 AM
3. I thought Carthage was given a gift to get the 3 seed after going 5-7 in the last 12 games

How is a game against the host team a gift?

BigPoppa

WOW... Carthage getting shipped out is a shock to me. They were the #2 CCIW team and it only makes sense that the #3 CCIW team should be shipped. Augustana did not get shipped as they are the host for the Central regional. UWO did not get shipped as they are the WIAC's #3 and the host school.

It feels as if it is better to be the #3 school in the WiAC/CCIW than the #2. Both #2s got shipped to different regions.

The pre-determined regional sites clearly had an bearing on the regionals.

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

dukes

That depends who you are for if you are happy to get shipped out. If I am Point, I am happy to go and bring on the central. If I am Carthage, I am not as happy. In the Midwest, with the exception of Knox (no offense, congrats on making the tournament) but the rest of the teams are powerhouses year in and year out.

BaseballFan

Quote from: mwunder on May 12, 2008, 12:09:03 PM

Not talking about who they are playing just their ranking! they should of been 5. Yes UWO is the host but UWW is the best team with STT right behind them. So Im more happy to be playing UWO if Im Carthage then CSS having to play UWW.

Stevens Point gets a huge break not having to play in the Midwest and has to be the favorite to win the Central. Looks like the WIAC could possibly have 2 teams in the world series

mwunder

Quote from: BaseballFan on May 12, 2008, 01:41:55 PM
Quote from: mwunder on May 12, 2008, 12:09:03 PM

Not talking about who they are playing just their ranking! they should of been 5. Yes UWO is the host but UWW is the best team with STT right behind them. So Im more happy to be playing UWO if Im Carthage then CSS having to play UWW.

How can you talk about one and not the other?  If Carthage is a 5 as you indicate they should be, then it's not as bad as having to play the host school.  As for them being a 5, are you serious?  They're 35-8...only 8 teams in DIII have 35 wins or more.

Stevens Point gets a huge break not having to play in the Midwest and has to be the favorite to win the Central. Looks like the WIAC could possibly have 2 teams in the world series

Wow....talk about making the baseball gods angry!  You realize they could just as easily have none.