Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on October 11, 2018, 03:58:41 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 11, 2018, 03:26:04 PM
Link: http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/men/2018-19/preseason

We're not allowed to just post the list?

It would be nice for the ads on our website to get a little love ... so we can continue trying to cover DIII sports. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 11, 2018, 03:51:36 PM

Here is my Top 10 blog: http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2018/10/11/daves-preseason-ballot-18-19-the-top-10/

Yep... Top 10. I thought I would get a bit cheeky. Rest of the ballot to come out soon enough. :)

Did you purposely call Scadlock "Scadlove"?

If you did, that's awesome and hilarious at the same time.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 11, 2018, 04:34:37 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 11, 2018, 03:51:36 PM

Here is my Top 10 blog: http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2018/10/11/daves-preseason-ballot-18-19-the-top-10/

Yep... Top 10. I thought I would get a bit cheeky. Rest of the ballot to come out soon enough. :)

Did you purposely call Scadlock "Scadlove"?

If you did, that's awesome and hilarious at the same time.

Ha. So the sad part is I know I had Scadlove on my mind for some reason, but I also know I was thinking Scadlock. Clearly, the other side of my brain kicked in and I missed it even in the multiple proof-reads. :)

I will fix it in a bit ... have to run and get the kids right now.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: WUPHF on October 11, 2018, 03:58:41 PM

We're not allowed to just post the list?

We have a website devoted to Division III basketball and I'd sure love to make sure it gets a few more clicks.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WUPHF

That is entirely fair.  Maybe next time explain that when deleting.  I am sure I am far from the only one that posted the list.

Pat Coleman

So far you are today, but not the first ever in the 19 years we've had both a message board and a ranking. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 11, 2018, 06:24:23 PM
So far you are today, but not the first ever in the 19 years we've had both a message board and a ranking. :)

We're all afraid to. That's why.  ;D ::) :P :D
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUPHF on October 11, 2018, 03:23:11 PM
I did not expect a Rochester team that went 16-9 last season to end up two spots outside the Top 25.  They do return all but one player who featured heavily in the rotation.  But, they were not in the final rankings.

It got surprisingly dicey near the bottom for me - lots of question marks.  I included Rochester on my ballot partially because they have fewer question marks.  I prefer to let teams with something to prove actually prove it before voting.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 11, 2018, 07:16:53 PM
It got surprisingly dicey near the bottom for me - lots of question marks.  I included Rochester on my ballot partially because they have fewer question marks.  I prefer to let teams with something to prove actually prove it before voting.

That does make sense.

Rochester should see more playing time from one or two guys who were injured last year too.

Titan Q

There are a few teams I think received too many poll points, and a few with too little, but overall I think this is a rock-solid preseason poll - maybe the best I can remember.  I like that teams seem to be generally lined up in the correct order within conferences and regions in terms of preseason expectations.  And there is not a head-scratching team in the Top 25.

#20 John Carroll is the team I think got too much love based on what they lost.  And ORV Loras is the team I think deserved more love.

I also think Wittenberg, at #11, is too high for the preseason poll. 6-10 Chad Roy (16.0 ppg, 6.1 rpg) was such a huge part of what made them tick last year...seems like they got a free pass for his graduation.

But again, pretty minor stuff overall.  This is a great poll to start with.

Titan Q

I was a bit surprised at the Augustana #1 vote.  Let me clarify - I had Augustana #2 and I think the Vikings are easily as good as Nebraska Wesleyan.  But just seems like when the defending national champion returns this much, they are #1 until game results show otherwise.

That said, I guess it's cool one of the voters didn't just automatically pencil in NWU.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Titan Q on October 11, 2018, 11:00:29 PM
I was a bit surprised at the Augustana #1 vote.  Let me clarify - I had Augustana #2 and I think the Vikings are easily as good as Nebraska Wesleyan.  But just seems like when the defending national champion returns this much, they are #1 until game results show otherwise.

That said, I guess it's cool one of the voters didn't just automatically pencil in NWU.

This surprised me as well and for a lot of the reasons you described. I am all for not just automatically penciling in defending champions as the preseason #1 (I know those who have and disagree with the idea), but at the same time ... NWU looks even better than last year.

Fifth and Putnam

Quote from: Titan Q on October 11, 2018, 10:55:39 PM
There are a few teams I think received too many poll points, and a few with too little, but overall I think this is a rock-solid preseason poll - maybe the best I can remember.  I like that teams seem to be generally lined up in the correct order within conferences and regions in terms of preseason expectations.  And there is not a head-scratching team in the Top 25.

#20 John Carroll is the team I think got too much love based on what they lost.  And ORV Loras is the team I think deserved more love.

I also think Wittenberg, at #11, is too high for the preseason poll. 6-10 Chad Roy (16.0 ppg, 6.1 rpg) was such a huge part of what made them tick last year...seems like they got a free pass for his graduation.

But again, pretty minor stuff overall.  This is a great poll to start with.

This point is what gives me pause on Wittenberg. The rest of the pieces are all back and on paper they look all set for another run. But I am curious to see how the whole thing gels without his presence.

I left JCU off my Top 25 (if I was ranking 28 teams, they are probably on there)...they lost some really key guys. Moran had an excellent recruiting class this year and JCU is going to be a household name for many more years but I am curious to see how some of the new guys step into bigger roles.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

My latest blog post... spots 11-20: https://t.co/nOaIySyIAJ

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Titan Q on October 11, 2018, 11:00:29 PM

I don't think it's "cool" when they deserve it. Yeah, when a defending National Champ loses a lot of their pieces and will most likely not be as good the upcoming year, yeah, vote someone else. But, when they basically return everyone and add to that, they probably deserve a unanimous vote. To simply vote for someone else because they want to be "that guy" isn't cool at all, IMO.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!