MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUAngola and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

TUAngola

Quote from: Winifred Durfee on January 03, 2018, 08:15:02 PM
Trine's MTI center looks very nice from what I can see on the stream of the women's game. They sure do like showing off all their new camera angles... in the middle of the play. If they get a scoreboard graphic up after winter break their streams will be very nice for viewing.

I was at the Hope-Trine WBB first game in the MTI Center tonight (Hope wins in matchup of Top 10 teams).  Let me tell you, Trine hit a home run with this facility.  It is truly a multi purpose facility.  I had a tour, top to bottom.  It has a 6 lane bowling alley in the lower level, an E-gaming room, golf pro shop, banquet rooms, many locker rooms, fitness facility, etc.  Upper level has the T-gear store, 2 concession stands, a VIP suite, Hall of Fame wall, offices, etc.  It's not as big as VanNoord or DeVos but at 3000 seats plenty big for Trine.  Had over 1000 at the game tonight, and that is with no students on campus yet. 

Hey congrats on Trine MBB win over Hope MBB.  I am as surprised as the rest of you.  I see Trine shot the ball well, that is encouraging.  The games I've seen they have struggled in that area.  This may be a crazy topsy turvy league this year.

Bulldog30

Well it has been a long time since I posted here. So long in fact that I have no clue what email I used for my previous username, but I'm finally encouraged enough to post about my Adrian Bulldogs.

I have been paying attention for years, but not since 2012 have they shown this type of potential.

And as a fellow post player, I very much enjoyed watching Justin Webster's game. Strong inside with great footwork and finishing around the basket, but Jeremy Kalonji also played very well showing very nice explosion and touch from 3.  It's the best big man pair I've seen in awhile at Adrian.

Even though Adrian actually ended with a solid FG percentage, I think they could've been better as they had more opportunities to finish around the basket and didn't shoot 3's all that well (33%, but some bad misses). Those misses along with some 3's by Calvin early in the 2nd half made this a game, but Tre'Shon Heard, Justin, and Jeremy led the way down the stretch. The guards protected the ball well and played the Calvin bigs tough. Calvin didn't take advantage of some mismatches down low after some switches on some screens. And Adrian dominated the pain 50 to 28.

Nice start for Adrian and we will see where they go from here.

sac

Trine 80  Hope 75

Trine played a really outstanding game tonight executing their offense very well, hitting big shots.  Trine had a long run from middle of first half to the end where they shot somewhere around 80%, scored 47 first half points.  Langston Johnson was overall very good.

Hope finally played a little defense at times in the second half and clawed their way back in the game only to see Trine hit a couple clutch shots to keep the lead out of reach.  On one hand Hope did a great job fighting to the end and had one kind of ridiculous possession where they just could not get a shot to fall that could have made it super interesting.  On the other hand Trine did a pretty terrible job closing the game out in the last 5 minutes opening a door for Hope.

Hope's defense is poor and until it improves, Hope's vulnerable to nights like this one. 

Hope:  Hawkins 19, Beckman 18, Ray 15
Trine:  Johnson 21, Copeland 19, Hunter 15

HOPEful

"Hope, your defense... WOOF!"

Also, when, if ever, was the last time Hope and calvin both started MIAA play at 0-1?
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Gregory Sager

Quote from: HOPEful on January 04, 2018, 12:07:22 PM
Also, when, if ever, was the last time Hope and calvin both started MIAA play at 0-1?

This is not your father's MIAA. The emergence of perennial doormat Alma over the past couple of seasons should've demonstrated that. Now it appears that more programs in the league are putting themselves into position to finally get a shot at grasping the brass ring.

That might not seem like a happy note for the fans of the two traditional Dutch-American bullies of this league, but, speaking as a CCIW fan, trust me when I say that it will help your league in the long run. The evidence might not be there yet in terms of the non-conference record of the MIAA, but having a circuit in which every team (or almost every team) is legitimately gunning for a shot at a postseason berth, as opposed to a league in which there's two perennial powers sucking all of the oxygen out of the room and at least half of the programs in a constant state of rebuilding and/or neglect over the course of decades, will eventually pay off in terms of league-standard quality of play (unless it's simply a case of Hope and Calvin falling back to the pack over an extended period of time, and I don't see anybody drawing that conclusion). Success begets success. The more competitive your program is, the easier it is to draw good recruits, so the more teams that are competitive, the better the quality of the league gets.

It's not a foolproof formula, but I've seen it work in several leagues besides the CCIW.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 04, 2018, 01:08:15 PM
This is not your father's MIAA. The emergence of perennial doormat Alma over the past couple of seasons should've demonstrated that.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Alma made a run in 2016, but they didn't win the regular season title that year. We've had one regular season championship (Albion, 2005) and one tournament championship (Alma, 2016) go elsewhere since 2000. Nearly every team has threatened the top of the standings at least once in this span, but none have found sustained success.

The MIAAs of the 1970s, 80s, and 90s seem to have had as much competitiveness, if not more.

Gregory Sager

Hope and/or Calvin accounted for each and every MIAA title from 1982 thru 2002, and the first six titles of the MIAA tourney as well from its inception in '92. That doesn't exactly strike me as a couple of freewheeling decades in terms of competitiveness.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

HOPEful

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 04, 2018, 01:08:15 PM
...unless it's simply a case of Hope and Calvin falling back to the pack over an extended period of time, and I don't see anybody drawing that conclusion...

I'm not going argue this is the sole reason, but there is a fair amount of slippage, especially this season. The Knights are an abysmal (especially by their standards) 4-8. Hope's defense is truly pathetic this year, especially the paint. They are allowing their opponents to shoot 50.6% from the field this season, placing them 407 out of 416 in that category. Do I think that Trine, Alma, Adrian, and Olivet seem to be making positive moves with their basketball programs? Do I think that both Hope and calvin are having uncharacteristically bad "down years"? Yep.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Gregory Sager

That's why I said "extended period of time" ... one down year isn't enough to get a read on whether or not both Hope and Calvin are actually falling off the pace.  Calvin really hasn't torn up the track since Jordan Brink hung up his uni for the last time, but, on the other hand, last season's 17-11 campaign is not exactly a sign of a program in crisis. And last season's Hope team was pretty darned good.

sac

I've been around since 91.  The overall coaching in this league is as good as its ever been.   I can't even begin to rank them 1 thru 8.

sac

Not in the 8 team MIAA era.  Prior to 2000 its difficult to reconstruct MIAA schedules as they didn't archive the date games were played.  In the 7 team MIAA league there was always one team with a bye.

OC_SID

Quote from: sac on January 04, 2018, 07:55:19 PM

Not in the 8 team MIAA era.  Prior to 2000 its difficult to reconstruct MIAA schedules as they didn't archive the date games were played.  In the 7 team MIAA league there was always one team with a bye.

That question was posed by a Facebook friend, and Alan Babbitt commented that he did the research. The last time was 1978. Hope lost to Adrian 77-75, Calvin fell to Albion 77-68.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: OC_SID on January 04, 2018, 11:40:12 PM

That question was posed by a Facebook friend, and Alan Babbitt commented that he did the research. The last time was 1978. Hope lost to Adrian 77-75, Calvin fell to Albion 77-68.

Albion and Alma split the title that season. That was Alma's last MBB championship.

shknowsbest

I see that the great shooter from alma, the laketa kid hasn't played in a while.  Hurt, doghouse?

sac

Quote from: KnightSlappy on January 05, 2018, 08:29:49 AM
Quote from: OC_SID on January 04, 2018, 11:40:12 PM

Albion and Alma split the title that season. That was Alma's last MBB championship.

and Albion went to the Final Four that year