Stephen Strasburg

Started by Mr. Ypsi, June 08, 2010, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDavisD3

Strasburg 41 strikeouts are the most in a pitcher's first four major league starts.

Not a bad start...plus he puts people in the stands which pays for the bonus money...plus his strikeout to walk ratio is already unreal...
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

ECSUalum

Crash, Badger,

Excellent points re Strikeout to Walk ratio!  Worth its weight in gold 8-) and...
Packing in the fans, creating new excitement for the team are ALLWAYS a good things ;D

badgerwarhawk

The Braves should provide a good measuring stick tonight.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on June 28, 2010, 09:41:14 AM
The Braves should provide a good measuring stick tonight.

Strasburg pitches 6 scoreless innings, but due to total lack of offense by Washington falls to 2-2 after getting roughed up in the 7th.

I'd deem him a very good pitcher on a very bad team.

badgerwarhawk

It's impossible to win if your teammates can't put a few runs across the plate.  I think he has the Mets next.  Another decent measuring stick.

CrashDavisD3

Nats dont score runs and dont play "D" so cant win

Strasburg record is 2-2 despite a 2.27 ERA and 48 strikeouts in 31 2/3 innings over his first five starts.

In the game against the Braves Strasburg was charged with four runs -- three earned -- in 6 1/3 innings, but he might have escaped unscathed if shortstop Ian Desmond hadn't booted a potential double-play grounder

There was another pitcher in Washington that had a great fastball but pitched for a lot of very bad teams that were a losing team for many years. That pitcher made it to the Hall of Fame.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on June 29, 2010, 12:24:20 PM

There was another pitcher in Washington that had a great fastball but pitched for a lot of very bad teams that were a losing team for many years. That pitcher made it to the Hall of Fame.

Walter Johnson

ECSUalum

Strasburg OPA is .216!! Keep it in this ballpark, and irrespective of what his batting mates due, he will have done his job.
Young pitchers should keep focused on having quality starts, and not worry about end result at this stage.

CrashDavisD3

Strasburg likely to have Tommy John surgery :o
By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer  

WASHINGTON (AP)—Stephen Strasburg(notes) has a torn elbow ligament and will likely have Tommy John surgery, bringing the pitcher's promising rookie season to an abrupt end.

Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Friday an MRI on the right elbow revealed a "significant tear." Strasburg will travel to the West Coast for a second opinion, but Rizzo anticipates the 22-year-old right-hander will need the operation that requires 12 to 18 months of rehabilitation

There goes the 15 million dollar investment....

Mr. Ypsi

Does anyone know if that delays his date for free agency?  If not, and IF he comes back good as ever, the Nats are screwed.

bulk19

sac

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 27, 2010, 04:28:29 PM
Does anyone know if that delays his date for free agency?  If not, and IF he comes back good as ever, the Nats are screwed.

I guess he accumulates time served, but he's signed for 6 years.

Also 10 All-Star team members this summer have had Tommy John surgery in the past.  In fact some feel like they come back throwing better than before.

CrashDavisD3

More than 150 baseball players have had Tommy John surgery, the majority of them pitchers. Among active major league pitchers who have had elbow ligament replacement surgery

Read more:
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/2010-08/strasburg-injured/story/pitchers-who-have-had-tommy-john-surgery#ixzz0xqRZb0JJ

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 27, 2010, 04:28:29 PM
So what else is new for the Washington franchise....

As a Washington Senator to Texas Stranger fan from the hapless Ted Williams Billy Martin Fergie Jenkins Gaylord Perry David Clyde days, it makes perfect sense to me.

The first "real" book that I ever read was the Reader's Digest condensed version (PG-rated) of The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant. I think that I was 9 years old.  That version must have had all of the Joe & Lola hanky-panky taken out of it for my parents to permit my reading it.

CrashDavisD3