FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRIZ_BACKER

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 06, 2016, 05:59:09 PM
Alright here we go.  Week 1 NRFP:

The NRFP is voted on by: Captain_Joe08, Dr. Acula, FCGrizzliesGrad, Li'l Giant, Mr Ypsi, NCF,  smedindy, USee, and wally wabash.

Just taking the liberty at getting a shot in at RHIT.  LOL   ;D
HCAC Champions 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

wally_wabash

Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 06, 2016, 06:17:27 PM
Wally, is each column a voter's ballot?  It appears so.  So someone has BW ranked 9 and Franklin unranked?

Also, I like the stones on the person that threw Berg a vote.  If Cortland is indeed as good as their ranking suggests then Berg was impressive even in defeat.  They had the ball with a chance to take the lead late in the 4th.

Your read of the table is correct.  If the format isn't secret enough for our balloters, I can mix it up more going forward. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 06, 2016, 07:14:41 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 06, 2016, 06:17:27 PM
Wally, is each column a voter's ballot?  It appears so.  So someone has BW ranked 9 and Franklin unranked?

Also, I like the stones on the person that threw Berg a vote.  If Cortland is indeed as good as their ranking suggests then Berg was impressive even in defeat.  They had the ball with a chance to take the lead late in the 4th.

Your read of the table is correct.  If the format isn't secret enough for our balloters, I can mix it up more going forward.

Labeling who was which column would be violating confidentiality, but I see no problem with this format.  And for those who don't mind revealing their ballot, it saves typing!  This week I was column one. ;)

The Wabash/Albion result cost Wabash one spot on my ballot, but one game was not quite enough to get Albion on to mine (they'd probably be my #11 team).  They graduated a ton of talent, and Kickoff only had them at #69; if they keep looking impressive (remember, they DID still lose ;)), they'll get there sooner or later.  I try to always have an MIAA team on my ballot, but I'm not sure any of them are 'ready for prime time' this season.

USee

I am column 3.  I have experienced the knee jerk shuffle too many times so Ibtook a more conservative route.  We know a lot more than we did last week but not enough more to be convinced.  I don't know if Albion is that good or Wabash has dipped a little under a new staff and coordinators.  I don't know if Franklin was way under rated or Thomas More was way over rated. I am not sure most teams in this poll wouldn't have had a similar result @Oshkosh. My rankings reveal my leanings but I am holding off on wholesale changes until I know more.  2 or 3 games in will make a big difference I think.  I kept the same 10 teams and moved Wabash down 1 spot and JCU down 2 spots.  Albion moved up a lot in my rankings just not enough to break in yet.

Li'l Giant

I'm the 3rd column from the right. I avoided what USee termed "the knee jerk shuffle". My only change was replacing my #10 from last week with Lakeland and I almost put Albion in that #10 spot.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

wally_wabash

I moved Franklin from 10 to 4.  At the risk of overreacting, I'm not sure we're going to see a better non-league result in the region this year.  OWU and JCU had chances this week and weren't close.  Oddly enough, Franklin has a chance to do one better this weekend.  But unless TMC goes in the tank, that's about as good a result as anybody is going to get in the North region this year.  That's a high value chip for Franklin and I moved them accordingly. 

I did move Wabash down from 2 to 3, although I'm not really sure what to do with 2-4.  Wheaton was fine, but they stay keeping their best player on the bench which is confusing.  I feel like these ho-hum results by Wheaton in September are a regular thing.  But I moved them up anyway.  I didn't move Wabash down below Franklin (4) or North Central (5) because I'm holding firm that getting that win on the road in Week 1 was a really good win.  Albion is better than we thought. 

I moved Albion into my 10 at 7.  They did lose the game, but they were 12 seconds away from winning.  I can't really justify a ton of space between Wabash and Albion at this point.  Their game with UWSP will be a valuable data point next week. 

ONU and IWU moved down a couple, but really only because other teams did something noteworthy while they were idle.  IWU did play a game of some sort, but I have no idea what to do with that, and I'm not recording it as a result in the poll record.  Kind of the same deal with NCC...although that game counts in the WL record, I don't know what winning against Robert Morris means.  NAIA ORV doesn't really move the needle for me. 

There was a lot to chew on this week for sure. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

DPU3619

Whoever Column 5 is... that is certainly one way to order it.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on September 06, 2016, 11:55:36 PM

Since that is the only voter who left DePauw off, I'm gonna assume your post is a complaint.  But, of course, it is also a statement of obvious fact.  After all, 1. Hope, 2. Wilmington, 3. Defiance, etc., is also 'one way to order it'! ;D

FCGrizzliesGrad

I was the middle column... I'm surprised I ended up so close to the overall result.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

wally_wabash

Here's a what if. What if this week's top 10 were a conference, full round robin schedule. Does Mount Union go undefeated?  9 straight weeks against those 9 teams- would they get all 9?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 07, 2016, 12:46:35 AM
Here's a what if. What if this week's top 10 were a conference, full round robin schedule. Does Mount Union go undefeated?  9 straight weeks against those 9 teams- would they get all 9?

I'm gonna guess they probably would, but too early to say for sure.  If they are really MOUNT UNION, then yes.  If they are 'merely' Mount Union, then a gantlet of Wheaton, NCC, Wabash, Franklin, JCU, etc., might present a stumble somewhere.

DPU3619

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 07, 2016, 12:08:16 AM

Since that is the only voter who left DePauw off, I'm gonna assume your post is a complaint.  But, of course, it is also a statement of obvious fact.  After all, 1. Hope, 2. Wilmington, 3. Defiance, etc., is also 'one way to order it'! ;D

I am surprised they aren't in everybody's poll, but it's not really a complaint. Just curious on a method.

I don't think Franklin is better than Wabash, although as the resident President of the Mike Leonard Fan Club, I was pleasantly surprised they won on Saturday. Albion deserves to be in, I think. If Wabash is really that good, then Albion is also good.

All bias aside, I can't really see Witt being ahead of DePauw at this point. I personally don't know what Witt has done to reverse the result from last year.

Like I said, just curious. And trying to be humorous, which I'm not always great at.

DPU3619

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 07, 2016, 12:46:35 AM

I say yes, and maybe only challenged once or twice in the process.

Dr. Acula

I'm column 6.  I moved Franklin up to 5 because I tend to agree with Wally...that will probably be the best OOC win anyone has this year.  I rewarded accordingly. 

I dropped IWU out and put Albion in because I was quite honestly expecting Albion to lose by 3 scores.  I'll give them credit there.  I debated dropping Wabash a spot, but opted not to. 

I dropped JCU from 5 to 8, but I wanted to keep them ahead of ONU because that's the order I see unfolding in the OAC.  I was disappointed with JCU's effort Saturday, but I didn't think it was a total disaster.  I expected them to lose by a score of something like 28-14. 

wally_wabash

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on September 07, 2016, 01:34:09 AM
All bias aside, I can't really see Witt being ahead of DePauw at this point. I personally don't know what Witt has done to reverse the result from last year.

Agree with this.  Wittenberg has two chances in the front half of the season to earn a spot in my 10.  Beating Capital doesn't snap me into "Witt is back!" mode. 

Also, result in Belton notwithstanding, I think OWU is going to push Witt in two weeks for Ye Olde Skull.  It's the playing for pride game!  Maybe even more so now for OWU.