Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This is already a topic in the NCAA with rules in place to accommodate. 60 Minutes did a large expose on it in the last year or two.

Or are you referring to something more specific?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Thank you. Specifically, the mother feels betrayed. The mother believes that her daughter was not dealt with fairly and that an injustice was done to her.  From the article,

QuoteThe teen's mother, Bianca Stanescu, told CT Post that there's no transgender competition when it comes to things like 'math and science and chorus' but with sports it's different.

'Sports are set up for fairness,' she said. 'Biologically male and female are different, adding that  'the great majority is being sacrificed for the minority'.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

She can probably feel more assured by the NCAA procedures in place. As I remember what I learned, it seems the play fields are pretty equal.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

justafan12

NCAA increased membership fees for all D3 school and conferences I believe started next year.  Here is an article on how they proposed to spend the additional $500,000. Not how I would have spent it.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-committee-proposes-uses-new-revenue?sf192238873=1

Oline89

Quote from: justafan12 on June 22, 2018, 01:34:36 PM
NCAA increased membership fees for all D3 school and conferences I believe started next year.  Here is an article on how they proposed to spend the additional $500,000. Not how I would have spent it.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-committee-proposes-uses-new-revenue?sf192238873=1

The LGBTQ issue is obviously a hot topic in sports today, see the above dilemma in the CT HS track championships.  It seems that the NCAA has already addressed the issue in its new rules and regulations, now the move is to stay ahead of it from a public relations standpoint. 

Ron Boerger

From the NCAA story quoted above:

Quote[...] roughly $1.5 million in supplemental spending already has been dedicated to championships enhancements, including increased travel party sizes and reimbursement for local ground transportation when a team flies to the competition site. Those expenses are part of the division's effort to draw down the current surplus in excess of its mandated reserve.

I respectfully submit that if the AA needs to "draw down the current surplus in excess of its mandated reserve" that they could instead change the "you gotta travel even if you're the best team in the country to save travel dollars" mandate.   Would take care of that money in a hurry but at least for a short time it would even things up for all teams, not just those located where D3 schools are tightly packed. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Remember... "AA" is Division III schools. Talk to the members. Indy doesn't make these decisions on their own.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 25, 2018, 10:59:00 AM
Remember... "AA" is Division III schools. Talk to the members. Indy doesn't make these decisions on their own.

Since roughly 400 of the 451 schools in Division III are almost never impacted by this, the chance of the "members" caring about this is about the same as it snowing in South Texas in August.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 25, 2018, 11:29:17 AM

Since roughly 400 of the 451 schools in Division III are almost never impacted by this, the chance of the "members" caring about this is about the same as it snowing in South Texas in August.

I don't disagree, but I have also talked to many members of Division III who understand how it impacts others or could impact themselves. They are most aware of the entire picture than many realize.

justafan12

IMO its the schools 38 schools located in Texas, Louisiana, California, Oregon and Washington that get killed on the travel issue.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: justafan12 on June 27, 2018, 12:37:00 PM

IMO its the schools 38 schools located in Texas, Louisiana, California, Oregon and Washington that get killed on the travel issue.

Yes... in some sports they do. Not much we can do about geography and money at this time. I have been on record that I wish(ed) the extra money was spent on the championships to allow more flexibility and travel when necessary (not just allow anything, though).

I have already said publicly I've been disappointed in how the "extra" money has been handled so far. There was one thinking of returning the money since it didn't appear to be needed any more. I felt that worst case scenario, the money should be put in a rainy-day fund for future needs (cost overtures, increased championship costs, etc.). Now they have decided to start and fund new programs.

The last part is where I am torn. The reason DIII upped how much money it was paying in dues, and that the rest of the division agreed not to take it's percentage, was that DIII was the only division running at a deficit especially because of it's championships. The division raised it's dues and I was pleased it had handled the problem itself to start.

Where I am torn is how the money is to be spent. It isn't being put in a rainy day fund. It isn't being used for championships which saw the biggest hit when DIII was in such a deficit. Instead, new programs are being funded. The money is going to non-championship items (governmental for lack of a better description). There is, once again, a thinking in the division that funding isn't an issue. There is a false sense of thinking that the DI money will always be there, despite the fact there are clear signs the money won't always be there at the same levels and recent contracts have had decreasing values over the length of the contracts, not increasing (as was the case about 5-10 years ago).

Where I am torn is that the programs are worthy and certainly needed of attention. Of course I want to see further training for athletic trainers and officials. Electronic medical record software to keep track of injuries across the NCAA is certainly understandable. I will certainly would not want to be against LGBTQ initiatives. I will also not stand in the way of improving opportunities for minorities and women in coaching - not by a long shot. Helping more SAAC members be involved at the NCAA level is a wonderful idea.

Now, I know the press release says $1.5m has gone to improving championships, but that isn't coming from the added finances by raised dues best I can tell. That is using money that the new D1 contracts have allowed. I just worry that money isn't always going to be coming in at it's current levels, as we have seen in the past when we had a fiscal budget for the division of about $5-10m LESS.

I just hope the division isn't losing focus of the reason for the increase in the first place... nor the realization that championships are growing especially in large sports (ice hockey, lacrosse, etc.) and not planning for the future or maybe even saving money is only going to send us down the same trap as in the past.

Just my two cents.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

So I got a chance to chat with Dan Dutcher, VP for DIII, at the recent CoSIDA (and NACDA) Convention in DC. I consider Dan a friend, so usually we meet just to catch up, but I always try and talk a little "shop" since the chances to see each other face to face are so minimum.

Dan assured me the financial situation is being handled far better than in the past. They actually have many years down the road budgeted out including the rest of the current TV deals and into the next set of TV deals. He says the reserve is at an all-time high (or there abouts) and while that will go down (the amount in the reserve), it won't be lower than $2mil at it's lowest point. Soon there after, it is budgeted to be over $10mil just in reserves.

He understood how the spending of the extra money comes across from the outside, but assured me that the past is very much on everyone's mind and thus why the reserve is being handled the way it is and the fact they have budgets for many years ahead to keep track of the spending.

He also says the Division continues to support the 75/25 percentage use of the money (75% to championships, 25% to governance). It has the same support it did five years ago.

I will try and maybe get into more detail with him on a future podcast, but I left out conversation feeling much better about the financial situation with DIII - at least to the fact that money is being allocated appropriately and the shortfalls of the past are very much on the mind of the division.

We can talk about getting more flexibility with travel another time. Dan wishes more could be done, too. That topic is very much preaching to the choir with him. :)

Just Bill

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.