FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockRB11

Lets just lay this to rest... Most of us posting here would love to see an NEFC team advance in the playoffs, and this year it happens to be Curry's shot again. But lets get serious here. Unless Curry plays flawless (not like last week) and SC puts the ball on the ground all day, then I dont think they have a shot.  Dont get me wrong, I played in the NEFC, I would want nothing but for the league to shine, but its not going to happen this year.  SC is just a better program. Their team is just all around bigger and stronger. Curry has a good team... Fast, athletic, but not enough across the board to hang with SC.

I expect CC to put up some points, but in the end:

SC 49
CC 21

'gro

Gro comes to curry's defense??

how soon we forget... in '05 Curry led Del Val in the 3rd quarter and was only down by 1 score (30-22) in the 4th before DV sealed it. Curry's playoff curse, in Gro's opinion, is that they haven't put together a complete 4 quarter performance yet.

How does that translate to 06 vs Springfield? It doesn't. But there are 2 ways to beat SC.

Win in a shootout (RPI '03)
Shut down the option (Ithaca this year)

Gro still thinks SC is going to win, but its not a given.

D3 Fan

Gro I would agree with some of what you said.  I also believe that SC has the stronger team, plays in a stronger league and has the stronger football tradition.  I just think Curry's D has a chance to slow them down and the offense will be able to score.  You know what's coming with SC (gimmick offense) and all.  By the way that gimmick comment was the worst non football sense comment I've seen in a long time.

Going back a few days to respond to Nobleman Lewis's comments, I'm curious as to how hard you want these coaches to coach and recruit?  When you were a freshman, say 4-5 years ago, how many full time coaches were in the NEFC?  BSC, MIT, Curry, EC, Nichols, Maine and Mass Maritime.  I agree that if you were talented enough that these schools should have contacted you but the part time staff's???  Isn't it safe to say that maybe you just got missed (which happens at every level)?  The 75% of the other schools were or are part time.....This means that they rely on current players and high school coaches to help them recruit.  I don't know about you but when you work a job all day long then get into your football office around 3-4pm, you are left behind in the recruiting game.  These part time coaches make calls, after calls, after calls.  They don't have the time to send out letters during the season but do their best to get in touch with players.   Isn't it better to say you were missed then they don't work hard enough...In regards to administration, I refer back to one of previous posts, they are happy with the way things are.

By the way Pat, I spoke to a coach friend of mine who is at a State school.  I asked him if administration thinks that the football program is needed to bring in students.   That the 80-100 kids brought in each year makes a difference.  He told me that many of the administration feel that these kids would come regardless of football.  Take it for what it's worth. Tough to excel when that's your support.....

Jonny Utah

Quote from: D3 Fan on November 14, 2006, 03:51:48 PM
Gro I would agree with some of what you said.  I also believe that SC has the stronger team, plays in a stronger league and has the stronger football tradition.  I just think Curry's D has a chance to slow them down and the offense will be able to score.  You know what's coming with SC (gimmick offense) and all.  By the way that gimmick comment was the worst non football sense comment I've seen in a long time.

Going back a few days to respond to Nobleman Lewis's comments, I'm curious as to how hard you want these coaches to coach and recruit?  When you were a freshman, say 4-5 years ago, how many full time coaches were in the NEFC?  BSC, MIT, Curry, EC, Nichols, Maine and Mass Maritime.  I agree that if you were talented enough that these schools should have contacted you but the part time staff's???  Isn't it safe to say that maybe you just got missed (which happens at every level)?  The 75% of the other schools were or are part time.....This means that they rely on current players and high school coaches to help them recruit.  I don't know about you but when you work a job all day long then get into your football office around 3-4pm, you are left behind in the recruiting game.  These part time coaches make calls, after calls, after calls.  They don't have the time to send out letters during the season but do their best to get in touch with players.   Isn't it better to say you were missed then they don't work hard enough...In regards to administration, I refer back to one of previous posts, they are happy with the way things are.

By the way Pat, I spoke to a coach friend of mine who is at a State school.  I asked him if administration thinks that the football program is needed to bring in students.   That the 80-100 kids brought in each year makes a difference.  He told me that many of the administration feel that these kids would come regardless of football.  Take it for what it's worth. Tough to excel when that's your support.....

D3 fan dont make excuses for these part time coaches.  It would take 10 hours of your season to read the Boston Globe or Herald, find the names of the top scorers, passers, rushers etc, and write form letters to those high schools.  Im not saying its easy, but it can be done with a little effort.  And the majority of the NEFC coaches werent bad coaches.  They knew what they were doing. 

But you are right about your last part.  Id say about half of NEFC state school kids go to the school first and it just so happens that that school has a football team and they end up playing.

The Truth 00

d3 fan - what are you talking about with the gimmick offense part? is that directed towards me?  i'm a little confused here.  my defense here would be that if its a gimmick offense, you don't know what's coming. obviously, there are some gimmick plays in any offense (reverses, flea-flickers, etc) but if you know sc is going to run the ball, how is it tricky?  thats what i'm getting at with the gimmick aspect.  i guess pretty much anything that isn't an I-formation with a balance of run and pass could be considered gimmicky, if we really want to get technical. what about the spread?  there's variations of the spread but would that be considered a gimmick?  hell, everyone is going to it now.  who knows, the I could become almost extinct (kinda like the option)  maybe we are just looking at things a little differently but mean the same thing in the end?? 

now, in regards to the part-time coaches thing....going through the initial process of contacting the high school coaches shouldn't be that hard. all they need to do, like King Utah said, is to read the globe at the end of the season, or even find a season preview before the season starts. the letters should be easy to pump out, the phone calls just require time. set up recruiting days every couple of saturdays in the winter time and make it work. work through admissions, coordinate overnight visits, it should work. as far as the attending college thing, i think most kids choose the school and then if football is there, it works out, especially in the nefc. that's probably another reason the conference isn't where the LL's and e8's are in terms of competition combined with the lack of a recruiting budget.

fan of d3

My theory on recruiting is you do not need to have the players with the best stats, numbers etc.  Finding the kids at the top of the lists in the Globe might do you no good. If you are looking to build a program from the bottom up then yeah I guess thats one way to start.  My theory is your team needs to have some kind of system and you need to find the players to fit that system.  If you have a kid who works hard you can turn him into a pretty decent player. 

D3 Fan

LJ, Fan of D3, and truth, all I can say it's easier sitting here talking about recruiting then living it as a part time guy.  Think what you will....

Truth I don't think that comment about gimmick offense was directed at you.  I went back to check but couldn't find it in the NEFC board.  I must have read it in another room.  Sorry for the insinuation....

Quotei think most kids choose the school and then if football is there, it works out, especially in the nefc. that's probably another reason the conference isn't where the LL's and e8's are in terms of competition combined with the lack of a recruiting budget.

Truth I disagree. At least in reference to the top schools in the NEFC!!!  Look at Westfield, UMD, and WSC.  Although they have struggled over the last couple of years they have consistently been the teams to beat.  Not to leave out FSU over the last 2 or 3.  You can not win consistently in any league with a majority of kids who just show up..... 

Tags

Gents-

Is there a prerequisite to have a minimum of 4 paragraphs per post on this board?

That's some serious writing.

D3 Fan

RockRB11

I tend to agree with most of what you all are stating.  But when it comes to kids that have the talent and are serious about playing at the next level, whether it be DIII or not, they'll be recruited and look into schools with winning tradition.  As a top dIII prospect that wants to go to school in the northeast, your not looking at westfeild state, umd, etc.. and vise versa.  Your looking into Rowan, SC, a bunch of upstate ny schools.... Schools that have a winning tradition and a well established program.  The athletic history of the school and the fact that they're in the limelight each year is a big recruiting tool in itself before you even consider what a staff can do.

nefan

Recruiting is a NOT as easy as some of you people think it is ...Also, if you are a part time coach... time is a huge factor..coaching in college is A YEAR ROUND part time job and people have to understand that... One NEFC coach who has been there for over 14 years(part time coach) probably meets at least 150-200 kids a year (actual "players" from their high school programs) and gives a tour for each recruit. They take an average of probably One and half hours (not to mention the "pitch" part of it on the phone)... On top of it some of the schools have requirements for admissions that numerous recruits do not meet and forget to mention in the process and then the transcript shows up... and the recruits EXPECT the coach to be able to help.... Some schools OVER RECRUIT... then some kids play all kinds of games with the coaches... Recruiting is NOT WHAT some of you think it is ... IT IS DIFFICULT FOR ANY COACH but even harder for a part time coach

Jonny Utah

Quote from: nefan on November 15, 2006, 09:18:46 AM
Recruiting is a NOT as easy as some of you people think it is ...Also, if you are a part time coach... time is a huge factor..coaching in college is A YEAR ROUND part time job and people have to understand that... One NEFC coach who has been there for over 14 years(part time coach) probably meets at least 150-200 kids a year (actual "players" from their high school programs) and gives a tour for each recruit. They take an average of probably One and half hours (not to mention the "pitch" part of it on the phone)... On top of it some of the schools have requirements for admissions that numerous recruits do not meet and forget to mention in the process and then the transcript shows up... and the recruits EXPECT the coach to be able to help.... Some schools OVER RECRUIT... then some kids play all kinds of games with the coaches... Recruiting is NOT WHAT some of you think it is ... IT IS DIFFICULT FOR ANY COACH but even harder for a part time coach

Good point, but not all NEFC coaches  do that....

fscparent

I have been watching my son, nephews, and sons of friends play  DIII football off and on for the last 10 years including nefc games and other teams including WPI, Springfield etc..  There isn't a better way to spend a fall Saturday then watching a DIII game.  The nefc is not as strong a league as the other DIII leagues, but that does not mean is isn't good football. Here is an example of the difference between the leagues.   A couple of years ago when FSC was in the ecac playoffs vs Springfield coach Haverty told me they met the SC coaches before the game to go over some pregame items.  The SC coach showed Haverty the coaches both and said there was room for about 8 coaches, Haverty looked at the SC coach and said "I do not have 8 coaches on my staff never mind 8 in the both".

I would love Curry to win but I think SC wins this one.

GOATReggieBush5

whats the deal with the nefc's all conference team selections and their league award winners because if you go to Bridgewaters site they are claming that Siringano won Bogan Defensive Player of the year and that their players were named to the Bogan All Conference Team.  If this is the case it seems that the league has changed its award system and if thats the case how come its been two days since the awards have been anounced yet the conference has not put anything on their website about this?

sickofBS

I guess they split the all confrence into Boyd and Bogan All-Conf. picks
so theres two sets of AC picks
2 D player of the years
2 O players of the year
ect. 1 from each half of the confrence