D3 vs. D1-AA, D2 and others

Started by Ralph Turner, August 30, 2006, 07:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Foss

Interesting article, Keith. It's hard for me to fathom that in the last 5 years, there has actually been a football team MORE dominant (in terms of winning national titles) than Mt. Union. (MUC winning 3 of the last 5 Stagg Bowls and Grand Valley winning 4 of the last 5 DII championships). Although, Mt. Union has the better overall record (the article says GV is 89-5) and MUC is 98-3 since 2000.

However, Mt. Union will likely fall to 98-4 after this Saturday when they face Heidelberg............NOT. Veeeeery close MUC/Heidelberg scores since '99: 66-0, 60-7, 54-7, 61-0, 68-13, 59-10, 63-0, and 58-0.

I'd say we're due for a nice even 50-0 game this year. How many points are scored in the 2nd half, I'm not sure.
A packed student section behind an end zone cheering on guys they will actually see in class on Monday is almost as cool as The Streak.

smedindy

I wonder how good of a game Mt. Union and Grand Valley would be.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: smedindy on September 25, 2007, 10:51:30 AM
I wonder how good of a game Mt. Union and Grand Valley would be.

With all due respect to the Mount, I don't think they'd stand a chance against GVSU.  However, I do think they could beat many, perhaps even most, d2 teams, and perhaps even finish about fourth in the GLIAC.  But Grand Valley is to d2 as MUC is to d3 - they DESTROYED #25 Michigan Tech.

Foss

When was the last time a DIII football team played a 1-AA (FCS) team that wasn't a "mid-major" or non-scholarship 1-AA team and what was the score? Also, when was the last time, if ever, a DIII team played a 1A (FBS) team?
A packed student section behind an end zone cheering on guys they will actually see in class on Monday is almost as cool as The Streak.

K-Mack

Quote from: Foss on September 28, 2007, 01:55:27 AM
When was the last time a DIII football team played a 1-AA (FCS) team that wasn't a "mid-major" or non-scholarship 1-AA team and what was the score? Also, when was the last time, if ever, a DIII team played a 1A (FBS) team?

Well, the farther back you go toward '73 (the first year of three divisions), the more intertwined the teams are because big-time wasn't as big time then in most cases, IMHO.

Last year UW-La Crosse beat South Dakota State, which was a I-AA scholarship team which had recently moved from Division II.

Most of the schools that schedule D3s are the Pioneer League & other non-schol mid-majors though ... just makes sense.

As far as the actual answer to that question, that might take some research on someone who has the time's part.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Who are those guys? UPDATED

Following Division III teams in interdivisional play.

vs. Division I, FCS (formerly I-AA, 7-8 in 2006)
Ursinus 28, at La Salle 0 (Thurs.)
Wagner 20, at Western Connecticut 7 (Fri.)
at Butler 42, Albion 14
at Iona 14, Delaware Valley 12
1-3 --------------
Butler 44, at Hanover 14
1-4 --------------
Drake 20, at UW-Platteville 7
Valparaiso 38, at Kalamazoo 24
1-6 -------------------
TCNJ 13, at La Salle 12 (Fri.)
Western Conn. 41, at Iona 37
3-6 -------------
Frostburg State at Duquesne
La Salle at Geneva

vs. Division II (5-10 in 2006)
UW-Eau Claire 42, at Southwest Minnesota State 13 (Thurs.)
at Husson 25, Pace 13 (Fri.)
Fairmont State 3, at Newport News Apprentice 0
at Upper Iowa 38, Loras 11
at Concordia-Moorhead 34, Moorhead State 32
Western Oregon 23, at Willamette 9
3-3 -----------------
at Western Oregon 32, (ranked) Linfield 20
at UNC-Pembroke 26, Greensboro 20
at Missouri-Rolla 28, UW-Stout 10
at Ouachita Baptist 46, ETBU 19
3-7 --------------
at St. Cloud State 26, No. 2 UW-Whitewater 16
at Chowan 31, Methodist 30, OT
3-9 ----------------
Humboldt State 44, at Menlo 7
3-10 --------------
No games in Week 5
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Foss on September 28, 2007, 01:55:27 AM
Howard Payne beat Prairie View A&M (SWAC) in 1998 during PV's slump.

Ron Boerger

ROFL ... who didn't, that was one pretty sad excuse for a team.

Foss

Keith - Thanks. Yes, I remember UW-La Crosse's win over South Dakota State just last season. If I'm not mistaken it was a pretty impressive win (double digits) and South Dakota State actually cracked the 1-AA top 25 last season at one point (either before the UW-La Crosse game or much later in the season after they put together a number of wins). Before that game, I can't think of who the last scholarship 1-AA was.

Nice recall, Ralph. I'd be curious to know who the last FBS/IA team a DIII squad played before mighty Prairie View A&M, but the answer might not be worth the effort needed to find out.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Foss on September 28, 2007, 06:50:15 PM
Keith - Thanks. Yes, I remember UW-La Crosse's win over South Dakota State just last season. If I'm not mistaken it was a pretty impressive win (double digits) and South Dakota State actually cracked the 1-AA top 25 last season at one point (either before the UW-La Crosse game or much later in the season after they put together a number of wins). Before that game, I can't think of who the last scholarship 1-AA was.

Nice recall, Ralph. I'd be curious to know who the last FBS/IA team a DIII squad played before mighty Prairie View A&M, but the answer might not be worth the effort needed to find out.
Thanks, foss.

I don't know where to find the database that might have that game.   ???

I wonder if that game has ever been played?  Would it have been against a Big East team?  Mid American Conference?

When was the last D-III versus D-IA (FBS) even played?

K-Mack

There's got to be an easier way than this, but uh, want to pick a team/conference and comb?

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/byConf.htm
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Yeah, I actually thought of CFB data warehouse first. There's tons of sites to try, none of the options sound easy if we have to go back to the 90s or 80s.

Best bet might be to ask Laz or Massey if they know or can find out offhand since they track results by division (I think) and might notice interdivisional outliers like that.

I thought about the string website too, but that's only fun if you want to prove how Randolph-Macon could've beaten Rutgers in 1996. :)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Foss

There is a new all-divisions career rushing leader in college football. It's somewhat disappointing since the previous record was held by a DIII player. However, this article does mention R.J. Bowers' incredible achievement, and the new rushing leader sounds like a solid kid.

Chadron State's Danny Woodhead breaks all-divisions career rushing record