2014 / 2015 Coaching Carousel

Started by Mr.Right, December 11, 2014, 09:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

NJIT is open....Maybe some of those part-time NJAC coaches should throw there name in the hat

lastguyoffthebench

Being that it is located in Newark, Kevin East would be a solid applicant, should he apply.  He turned Rutgers-Newark around, so why not NJIT? 

I know there is only one part time NJAC coach, Oz from Rutgers-Camden... I just had lunch with him on Sunday.

As a full time guidance counselor in a PA school district, a part-timer at Camden for the last 10 seasons, and a PDL Head Coach in Ocean City NJ with a free beach house, I would assume he isn't going ANYWHERE NEAR NJIT.  Oz has a solid track record of turning programs around, but why walk away from those 3 things for a D1 gig that is marginal at best, all the while taking a huge pay cut at the same time? Doesn't make much sense.  NJIT moved to D1 ten years ago or so from D2 (a very VERY weak conference, CACC) and has yet to establish themselves as a program worth playing for; having only been over .500 once during that span (52-115-24; .335).  My guess is that most go for the engineering program, and play soccer as a bonus.   Wouldn't shock me if MSU, Stevens, or Newark beat them.  I'm sure they've played ea other during the spring at some point.

By coaching at the PDL level alongside Skip Roderick (E-town), against the likes of Red Bull, DC United and Union affiliates, it's almost as if he is coaching the D1 level with teams stronger than some of the top D1 schools in the nation.  Just step back and look at the success of Reading United; most players drafted by MLS in a season (5 in 2013 and 6 in 2014).  Five MLS players in 2013 were knocked off by OC that season (a team that had 0 players make the MLS).   That year OC lost to the Union at PPL Park 2-1 in stoppage time for the US Open Cup; Union came out with their true starting XI.   What other D3 coaches are involved with PDL?  I know of Dave Castellanos, HC of PSU-Abington, took over the Reading job two seasons ago.   

(True Story about Oz)- He coached Juan Carlos UnzuĂ©'s (asst at Barcelona) son Aitor and he was in attendance for several sessions/matches in OC this summer.   Juan Carlos was chasing balls on 6th Street that went over the fence,just after coaching with Luis Enrique on the sideline in UEFA Champions League Final a few days prior.  Those are just some experiences, contacts, and connections that very few coaches have access to and some direct access to the pro game.

I think Oz has a pretty solid set-up in his favor and will probably be at Camden for life.  It will be interesting to see if they will be able to sustain the success which they've had.  Four NJAC titles in the last 10 years... only MSU has won more (5) over 10 years in the power conferences; Amherst (4).  I would guess that the next NJAC title for Camden is a few years away after the rebuilding process from the 2013 team.

jknezek

My parents have a place in Ocean City. Every other year I take the family up there. Lovely place. I generally get to see one or two OC games when I'm there. It's not very entertaining, but I go because it's fun for my kids and the h.s. field they play at is a block from the beach and within spitting distance of kids amusement park. Given the constraints on PDL seasons and how the teams are constructed, the best kick and run athletic teams generally win. OC is a prime example. I don't see a whole lot of coaching going on, and the only good thing about it is the summer camps for kids. The games themselves are mildly painful to watch.

lastguyoffthebench

Maybe not coaching, but recruiting said best kick and run athletes?  What you are describing sounds a lot like Amherst.  Is Serpone not really coaching then?  I'm sure recruiting comes incredibly easy for the program, but more of a challenge getting those players accepted to the school.  With that being said, does Serpone have the easiest job in D3 sticking to their motto of; Kick. Run. Study.  He still has to mentor and develop his players...

The team Oz took over in 2012 finished 6th in the Division in 2010, 7th in 2011.  In 2012, his first year... they finished first in the division and reached the conference semi final.  In 2013, they finished first again, reaching the final four before falling 1-0 to the eventual champion, Austin Aztex.   Might be somewhat easy to convince kids to come and play at OC so you're near the beach all summer, but Michigan Bucks and some of the Canadian clubs perform well consistently.   

The Union vs OC game is on youtube if you want to waste two hours of your life from the comfort of your own beer-stained computer chair...  First half was dominated by the Union, but after some adjustments OC gave the Union a run for their money.

Midwest Soccer

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on January 05, 2016, 09:54:00 AM
With that being said, does Serpone have the easiest job in D3 sticking to their motto of; Kick. Run. Study.  He still has to mentor and develop his players...

He still has to get the most out of his players which he clearly does. Attractive or not, the guy has been leading 1 of the most, if not the most successful programs over the last 3-4 years. You don't just do that by running sub-par trainings. He has all those players bought into his system. I don't think he has the easiest job in D3 by any means. He's in the NESCAC in addition to the the academic standards you already mentioned.

jknezek

Maybe not coaching, but recruiting said best kick and run athletes?  What you are describing sounds a lot like Amherst.  Is Serpone not really coaching then?  I'm sure recruiting comes incredibly easy for the program, but more of a challenge getting those players accepted to the school.  With that being said, does Serpone have the easiest job in D3 sticking to their motto of; Kick. Run. Study.  He still has to mentor and develop his players...

PDL and DIII have different purposes. PDL is a DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE. You are supposed to be teaching these kids how to take the next step forward in playing soccer. DIII is essentially an end game where you are trying to get the kids you recruit to win championships. Used to be a decent mission statement on the PDL site, which is now gone. But teaching kids kick and run is exactly the opposite of what PDL is supposed to be about.

Serpone is doing what he is supposed to. Winning games and championships with DIII athletes that also go to school full time. The OC PDL team, and more than a few others that I've watched, are a mockery of the stated purpose of the league. Some of the other teams I've watched have lost a lot of games, but you see them out there working on skills that don't involve how far you can kick and how fast the forwards can run under the ball...

I highly doubt you can win a PDL championship playing soccer. The teams are unfamiliar, the players transient, and the seasons short. So if you want to win, follow the OC model. But if you really want to try and push those kids forward in an attempt to play professional soccer, for the love of all that is holy don't do what OC does...

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: Midwest Soccer on January 05, 2016, 10:14:06 AM
With that being said, does Serpone have the easiest job in D3 sticking to their motto of; Kick. Run. Study.  He still has to mentor and develop his players...

He still has to get the most out of his players which he clearly does. Attractive or not, the guy has been leading 1 of the most, if not the most successful programs over the last 3-4 years. You don't just do that by running sub-par trainings. He has all those players bought into his system. I don't think he has the easiest job in D3 by any means. He's in the NESCAC in addition to the the academic standards you already mentioned.

Definitely the #2 - #5 program in the nation over his tenure.  Now that they've won the NCAA title, 4 NESCAC titles, and 2 NESCAC finalists over the last 10 years +  their overall record, I'd put them #2, behind Messiah. #3 Wheaton, #4 OWU, #5 Calvin, #6 Loras, #7 Trinity, #8 MSU.   This seems fair enough given the spread of the regions.... #9 SLU/Stevens.

Midwest Soccer

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on January 05, 2016, 10:26:30 AM
Quote from: Midwest Soccer on January 05, 2016, 10:14:06 AM

Definitely the #2 - #5 program in the nation over his tenure.  Now that they've won the NCAA title, 4 NESCAC titles, and 2 NESCAC finalists over the last 10 years +  their overall record, I'd put them #2, behind Messiah. #3 Wheaton, #4 OWU, #5 Calvin, #6 Loras, #7 Trinity, #8 MSU.   This seems fair enough given the spread of the regions.... #9 SLU/Stevens.

Wheaton at #3? Sort of high if you ask me. Only 1 Final Four Appearance in last 6 years. Would have to go back to 2006 to their previous Final Four appearance prior to 2014. Wheaton, OWU, and Messiah at the same 2006 Final Four....I remember the Wheaton v OWU semi was a snoozefest. Messiah just trounced everyone but as a fan of Division III history, that's pretty cool to have had the 3 most successful programs (historically) at the same Final Four

Wheaton would be high on my list as well, just not sure at #3 without a title and not many Final Four appearances...I would give Loras the nod over them, maybe even Oneonta St as well. Good picks overall though!

lastguyoffthebench

True.  Maybe I jumped the gun on Wheaton, but I just did those rankings quickly...  I think 10 years is the best number at this point in time, because it proves program sustainment and validates success.  5 years is too short and 15 or 20 years is too long, IMO.

One could argue that Calvin should be ahead of OWU, with 2 Final appearances and one Final Four.

I was bored one day and weighed the South Atlantic teams over the last 5 years using the following categories; NCAA Regional Ranking (1 pt), Conference Champion (3 pts), Conference Finalist (1 pt), Round of 32 (1 pt), Sweet 16 (2 pts), Elite 8 (4 pts), Final 4 (8 pts), Finalist (16 pts), National Champion (32 pts):

I wonder where this would place those powerhouses, using the same point system as above.  Loras would certainly rack up the points for conference champions and final four appearances, but just getting to the title game once is the equivalent of 2 final fours, etc...

RUC                  63pts  (ranked 10x in NCAA Regional release) 4 NJAC titles, 1 Finalist, 2 Elite 8, 1 Final Four, 1 Finalist
MSU                  50pts  (ranked 15x in NCAA Regional release) 1 NJAC title, 2 Finalist, 3 Elite 8, 1 Final Four
CNU                  23pts  (ranked 10x in NCAA Regional release) 2 Conf titles, 0 Finalist, 1 Sweet 16, 1 Elite 8
YORK               21pts  (ranked 6x in NCAA Regional release)   3 CAC titles, 0 Finalist, 2 Sweet 16
SALISBURY      18pts   (ranked 12x in NCAA Regional release) 1 CAC title, 2 Finalists; 1 NCAA tournament win in 5 years, but have been ranked 12 times regionally!
EMORY            14pts   (ranked 8x in NCAA Regional release)   1 UAA title, 2 Finalists;  1 Round of 32
RUN                13pts   (ranked 11x in NCAA Regional release) 0 NJAC titles, 1 Finalist; 1 Round of 32
RANDOLPH    8pts   (ranked 0x in NCAA Regional release)   1 ODAC title, 2 Finalist; 1 Sweet 16
BERRY           7pts   (ranked 0x in NCAA Regional release)   2 SAA titles, 0 Finalist; 1 Round of 32
METHODIST   7pts   (ranked 0x in NCAA Regional release)   2 USAC titles, 1 Finalist; 0 NCAA wins
OGLETHORPE    7pts    (ranked 4x in NCAA Regional release)   1 title, 0 Finalist; 0 NCAA wins

Using Ryan's scoring system of 1-2-4-6-8-12;
RUC -  53 pts
MSU - 48 pts

Using Ryan's scoring system of 1-2-3-4-5-6;
RUC - 46 pts
MSU - 43 pts

NOTES:
Salisbury 12 regional rankings, but less conference titles than Berry and Methodist with no H2H results...
SAA formed in 2012                                             
CNU left the USAS for CAC in 2013                                             
Lynchburg has not won an NCAA tournament game since reaching the final in 2010                                             
Rowan reached the Sweet 16 in 2001 after reaching the title game in 2000.  First round win in 2003.  Zero NCAA tournament wins since then                        
Stockton has four tournament wins since winning the title in 2001.  (Elite 8 in 2004); (Round of 32 in 2008).                                             
Greensboro reached the title in 1998.  Has 10 NCAA tournament wins since then.  (Sweet 16 in '99).  (Elite 8 in '04)                                             

adamclay8

Penn State Harrisburg Men's Soccer Full Time Head Coaching Position is now accepting applications. https://psu.jobs/harrisburg/jobs/jobcategory/athletics_recreation

Wisco21

Wisconsin Oshkosh Head Coach Wytse Molenaar set to take over the reigns at Albion College

http://www.gobrits.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20160201bi9qne

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Lost 10 of their last 11...he has some work to do but will be interested to see the turn around for this program in the few years...next year will have growing pains as it doesn't seem like he has too much time to get a proper recruiting class in this year but after the 2016 season we should start to see the transformation for better or worse(if worse is even possible).

Golden_Fan

Mr.Right

Husson(ME) is open

http://athletics.husson.edu/sports/msoc/2015-16/releases/20160107jx136h

That brings to an end a career for Jeff Gettler who was a very good coach. He started at Bates back in 1979 and went to UMASS Amherst in 1982. UMASS dropped soccer in 1990 and he went to Lafayette for a couple years and then went to Univ of Richmond in 1995 where he had his most success winning a couple NCAA games before getting forced out in 2008. Interestingly, Richmond dropped soccer a year or 2 later. He finally joined old friend Bob Reasso who after getting fired at Rutgers in 2009 got the AD job at Husson. The two were together up until Reasso had the coaching itch again and left for Pfeiffer College(D2) where he just won the NCAA Championship. Congrats to a great career for Gettler.

As far as Reasso he had a great run at Rutgers from the mid 80's until the late 90's and hosted and almost won the NCAA D1 tournament I believe in 1990 or 1991 I cannot remember. Reasso was forced out of Rutgers back in 2009 after about 5-7 listless years at the end. Congrats to him for getting that well deserved D2 NCAA Championship.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Golden_Fan on February 02, 2016, 08:03:31 AM
Former Sage Head Coach, Kyle Clancy, takes over at New Paltz.

http://www.sunyac.com/news/2016/2/1/MSOC_0201161735.aspx

This is a good move for him as New Paltz has some potential in the SUNYAC