MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

hopefan, I likewise have no information to share, but wanted to reassure you that you have not been totally abandoned! ;D

hopefan

For Webster to grab an individual with 10 years of experience as an AD in the WIAC is VERY impressive....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

BunchTime

hopefan

Here is what each SLIAC team loses to graduation Rough and dirty before we hear about recruiting... I'll go into detail during the summer.. Assuming if roster lists as a Senior, they have no more eligibility; if roster lists as underclassman, they're returning.. note, Mac's Spence Pratt listed as a junior, but will be graduating.

Webster   regulars returning   8   regulars lost   2      
Losses are Starting Guard Hollis Edwards (All Conf HM), Rotating Middle man Jarod Huskey
(Returning includes Danny Zehner, a regular 2 years ago who sat out with injury last year)

Spalding   regulars returning   6   regulars lost   4      
Losses are Starting Guard Thomas Blakemore (2nd Team All Conference), Starting Forward Will Barber (1st Team All Conference),
Starting Forward Quayshaun Hamilton (All Conf HM), Reserve Forward Dominique Sangester

MacMurray regulars returning   5   regulars lost   5      
Losses are Reserve Guard Paul Crowder, Starting Center Cole Busch,
Starting Guard Spencer Pratt (2nd Team All Conference), Starting Forward Brady Slagle (1st Team All Conf, POY)  Reserve Forward Dylan Burton

Westminster regulars returning   7   regulars lost   3      
Losses are Reserve Guard Jordan Jones, Starting Guard Joe James (1st Team All Conference)
Starting Forward Travis Cleveland

Greenville regulars returning   8   regulars lost   3      
Losses are Starting Guard Alex Mumphard (2nd Team All Conference), Reserve Forward Tevin Rollins  Reserve Forward Anthony Metzler

Fontbonne regulars returning   7   regulars lost   1      
Losses are Reserve Guard Yada Demisse

Principia regulars returning   6   regulars lost   4      
Losses are Starting Guard Matt Jones, Starting Forward Kenny Sydness (All Conf HM),
Starting Guard Damon Wilgus, Reserve Guard Sean Neel

Eureka regulars returning     6   regulars lost   1      
Losses are Starting Guard Trevor Teal

Iowa Wesleyan regulars returning   9   regulars lost   2      
Losses are Starting Forward Duane Lee, Reserve Guard Marquis Lewis

Blackburn regulars returning     7   regulars lost   0      
No Seniors on last year's roster

From this, we can see that Mac and Spalding in the top 5 are taking huge hits, and Prin also loses much....  Webster, Fontbonne, and Greenville seem to be in best shape with respect to well rounded returning talent....bottom 3 Iowa Wes, Eureka, and Blackburn return almost everyone, but will it be good enough?... Westmin gets hurt at guard, and needs size... Mac and Spalding still have good players, but will have to find depth... Prin will be hurting despite return of the 2 man scoring combo of Larry Patterson and Justin Ball.

y_jack_lok

Good stuff hopefan. While Webster had the three quality freshman guards, and hopefully all of them return to play as sophomores, Hollis Edwards will be tough to replace. 

allamericanredhead

FREE DENNIS. I love reading the informative posts on here. Seriously, Hope the SLIAC should hire you. BUT, this board is just is not the same with out Old Dennis. I know he can be a pain in the backside, but he does keep the flames fanned. We got to get him back before next Fall. FREE DENNIS.

hopefan

Quote from: allamericanredhead on May 18, 2014, 11:26:46 PM
FREE DENNIS. I love reading the informative posts on here. Seriously, Hope the SLIAC should hire you. BUT, this board is just is not the same with out Old Dennis. I know he can be a pain in the backside, but he does keep the flames fanned. We got to get him back before next Fall. FREE DENNIS.

Yes Red... if we were a SLIAC broadcast team, I guess I'd be the play by play guy, Denny would be the color analyst, and Yjak would sit 3rd seat throwing out tidbits of info and reminding us of forgotten names or records!!!

I know Denny visits now and then to check on things, and I'm sure he has some strong feelings about the new Fontbonne hire, so I too am hoping he'll be back for next season....

Denny McKinney

Thanks for asking about me boys.
It's been a busy year Dino having 21 wins at Sullivan. Our only girl Natalee finished her HS softball career. All - District. Dino's oldest Ryan is now 18 months removed from Dramatic Brain Surgery to remove a return to a tumor on his brain stem. He was left with a couple motor skill issues to rehab and deal with. But, He had 2 complete game wins in the 4 Rivers JV Tourney last week. Now my Godson Cody is a stud shortstop and PG on 7th Grade team. Pretty busy.

Guys, we don't have much of a connection with FU. Truthfully, it's pretty sad to see the walls fall in. While the Old President is receiving awards and having banquets, the school is in turmoil. It is probably at a 10 year low in enrollment. The Financial Aid ofc. lost 6 of the 8 staff members to Pink Slips and Resignation. Including Director and Asst. The VP of Student Affairs (who the AD answers to) resigned early in the year. Let's not forget that 3 candidates turned down the AD job in 2010. They have really never filled it. Maria is doing her best but she had no experience.

Women's Head Basketball coach resigned and Men's hire had to be out convience and money. You searched for some one to carry on the program and he left. Then you don't even interview and give it to an Asst. AD, who was like 60-125 in six years at NAIA Avila in KC.

I heard that even the Annual Sports Banquet was cancelled because no money in the Budget.

AARed accused Dad of controlling purse strings. Well now there is no purse. Someone forgot that they needed to replace the 50-75K that Dad fundraised each year. Red, it is sad.

Tomorrow nite will be enjoyable. The SLIAC Awards Banquet takes place. Brian Fogerty becomes the 8th mens basketball player to go into the SLIAC Hall of Fame.

So fellas I don't have many ties to the Conference. So I can't comment much on what I don't know.

Enjoy your Summer Guys!

Denny McKinney

I must add. I've never met Coach Hall. I hear he is a really good guy. My opinion is just based on resume. Not trying to take a shot at the Coach. I truly hope he figures out something.

ecreddevils

EC adds Ian Saathoff 6' 6" F from Morton H.S. (IL.)

hopefan

Quote from: ecreddevils on May 20, 2014, 10:05:35 PM
EC adds Ian Saathoff 6' 6" F from Morton H.S. (IL.)

From the little bit  I see on the web, he looks like a good one for Eureka..... good stats in BIG State games....

Denny McKinney

I learned last night, at the SLIAC Awards Banquet, Commish Will has moved on. He will taking over the NAIA conference that includes MoBapt. His Asst. is leaving also. No word on next Commish. I suggested to Will that I would thing Hopefan would be interested in this. Will had a nice chuckle.

Great night seeing one of Dad's Boys receive the honor of going into the HOF.

I had a Great Day.

WUPHF

Quote from: Denny McKinney on May 19, 2014, 03:11:49 PMTruthfully, it's pretty sad to see the walls fall in. While the Old President is receiving awards and having banquets, the school is in turmoil. It is probably at a 10 year low in enrollment. 

I think I said this on the SLIAC board back in 2008 or 2009, but I do think the next 10 years or more are going to be challenging times for the Division III schools in general and the SLIAC in particular.

The last few years have been better than I expected in part due to a host of factors. An increase in international student enrollment and the continued expansion of adult and professional education.

The decline in traditional college student demographics is expected to continue.  And, at the same time, the relatively recent decline in demand for adult and professional education is expected to get worse before it gets better.  Fontbonne is an example of an institution that is particularly vulnerable for these reasons.

I am not surprised by turnover in financial aid.  Every last institution that is struggling to meet enrollment goals seems to be doing so by offering more financial aid to those who have yet to commit.

I do college counseling on a volunteer basis so I see a lot of award letters.  The discounts are much deeper this year than I have ever seen.  I have a student who has three or four revised award letters from two NCAC schools.  Just an average student, but both schools are giving away the store. 

It is obviously not just the SLIAC, but I think we will see many more examples of IWU-like struggles in the SLIAC and throughout Division III.

WUPHF

Hopefan would make a great commissioner. I am sure of that.

My only concern would be his management of the SLIAC Twitter account. 140 characters does not give much room for......all......those.......ellipses.