FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewaterboy

This article by Andy Walter seems to put a bit more optimism into the future of Wesley athletics.

https://delawarestatenews.net/sport/wesley-plans-to-keep-athletics/

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on July 10, 2020, 10:20:51 PM
This article by Andy Walter seems to put a bit more optimism into the future of Wesley athletics.

We can only hope......
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

jmcozenlaw

I do wish them luck. This would be unheard of across the entire country. A D-I and D-III team just a few miles apart..........and the same DSU school. THAT would be odd!!

Caz Bombers

as I see it, these are the possible paths for athletics at Wesley and DSU.

Door #1 - DSU (D1 FCS) and DSU-Wesley (D3) remain separate campuses and athletic departments.

Door #2 - they merge together into one DSU athletic department in the MEAC. DSU could add any or all of the four sports that Wesley sponsors but they do not (field hockey, men's golf, men's lacrosse, men's soccer). So call that 2A if they do and 2B if they don't.

but have we considered the outside possibility of Door #3? They merge...into Wesley's existing D3 status. Maybe the athletic department rebrands and maybe it doesn't, maybe one or more of DSU's unique sports (bowling, equestrian and women's tennis) gets added to Wesley's portfolio.

thewaterboy

Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 11, 2020, 01:14:50 PM

Door #1 - DSU (D1 FCS) and DSU-Wesley (D3) remain separate campuses and athletic departments.

Door #2 - they merge together into one DSU athletic department in the MEAC. DSU could add any or all of the four sports that Wesley sponsors but they do not (field hockey, men's golf, men's lacrosse, men's soccer). So call that 2A if they do and 2B if they don't.

but have we considered the outside possibility of Door #3? They merge...into Wesley's existing D3 status. Maybe the athletic department rebrands and maybe it doesn't, maybe one or more of DSU's unique sports (bowling, equestrian and women's tennis) gets added to Wesley's portfolio.
I like door number 1 best, but I think door 2 is the most likely to happen. Door #3 is interesting, but I think that is unlikely

The question I have in the Door #1 scenario is: What does DSU gain in a scenario where Wesley maintains a separate campus and/or athletic department? In the article I read, the Wesley AD Tracey Short seemed to be optimistic that sports would be part of Wesley's future. For that to happen, there has to be some autonomy on the Wesley campus.

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on July 11, 2020, 01:25:28 PM
The question I have in the Door #1 scenario is: What does DSU gain in a scenario where Wesley maintains a separate campus and/or athletic department? In the article I read, the Wesley AD Tracey Short seemed to be optimistic that sports would be part of Wesley's future. For that to happen, there has to be some autonomy on the Wesley campus.

That would be rather historic.  Mixed divisions is unusual, but obviously not unheard of (Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, etc.).   The case for a seperate DIII doesn't really work.   I just hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

jmcozenlaw

Door #3, while certainly not impossible, sounds like the exact opposite of everything the DSU president spoke about during the press conference. He spoke about how much "better" DSU was doing relative to the other HBCU schools................and they are going to consider slumming it down from D-I to D-III? The other HBCU's would look at it like, "sure........you're doing MUCH better than the rest of us" :)  I wonder what the NJAC would have to say about a former D-I athletic program dropping down right through the D-II level and on to the D-III floor. Remember, for many of the DSU student-athletes, that athletic scholarship is THE reason to be able to go to college. Take away that money, make them come up with money that most don't have.........and they are not getting a college education in most cases.

Pat Coleman

We have, yes -- Sean Greene raised this as a possibility on the most recent D3football.com podcast. Definitely intriguing.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CNU85

Just read where a local player is enrolling at Pitt since he can't play HS ball this fall. I don't know the specifics on how that was able to happen. Sounds like he may have been a decent student.

thewaterboy

More & more schools seem to be opting out this season... of new relevance, Del State has decided not to play along with the rest of their conference. Wesley Athletics released a statement today that says they still plan on pursuing fall sports.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: thewaterboy on July 16, 2020, 02:25:54 PM
More & more schools seem to be opting out this season... of new relevance, Del State has decided not to play along with the rest of their conference. Wesley Athletics released a statement today that says they still plan on pursuing fall sports.

The MEAC will only be left with 6 teams come this time next year. It appears that the DSU-Wesley or DSU becoming DIII may be a possibility.

bill

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 11, 2020, 11:29:29 AM

I do wish them luck. This would be unheard of across the entire country. A D-I and D-III team just a few miles apart..........and the same DSU school. THAT would be odd!!

JM - sorry I missed this earlier. Obviously, the DI FDU no longer has football...but there was another example of the same school (private) having D1 and D3 about 30 miles apart!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

Pat Coleman

Quote from: FANOFD3 on July 16, 2020, 04:12:42 PM
Quote from: thewaterboy on July 16, 2020, 02:25:54 PM

The MEAC will only be left with 6 teams come this time next year. It appears that the DSU-Wesley or DSU becoming DIII may be a possibility.

Delaware State is applying to the NEC, right?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: bill on July 16, 2020, 04:22:17 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 11, 2020, 11:29:29 AM

JM - sorry I missed this earlier. Obviously, the DI FDU no longer has football...but there was another example of the same school (private) having D1 and D3 about 30 miles apart!

"Was"....................and 30 miles it not the same distance as a solid 3 wood and a 5 iron!! ;)