FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

I think the "trap" is assuming that all S-As that comes from Florida are awesome at football.  It's more a mismanagement of expectations than anything else, IMO.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: wally_wabash on March 21, 2017, 10:11:24 AM
I think the "trap" is assuming that all S-As that comes from Florida are awesome at football.  It's more a mismanagement of expectations than anything else, IMO.

Agreed. But if you ever get a chance, go see "The Muck Bowl" between Glades and Pahokee high schools in South FL around the big lake. These two public schools, in one of the most impoverished areas of the country, generally have 5 or 6 of the top 25 football recruits in FL. Before the game they announce seniors who have received scholarship offers. Seriously, in one year those 2 teams have more P5 and G5 scholarship offers than I saw in my entire 4 years of h.s. in all of my home conference. And when you watch the game, you'll know exactly why. Kind of a crazy place to go see a h.s. game, but since I was living less than 2 hours away at the time I couldn't resist going.

DPU3619

I really, really disagree with the thought that recruiting Florida is a trap.

It's the most talent-rich football state in the country with no D3 schools to recruit those kids.

HCAlum86

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on March 23, 2017, 11:31:47 PM
I really, really disagree with the thought that recruiting Florida is a trap.

It's the most talent-rich football state in the country with no D3 schools to recruit those kids.

On the whole, there is definitely merit to what you're saying. I would be an idiot to say that recruiting Florida should be completely forbidden.

Without sounding elitist.... But I am going to anyways... I have noticed (perhaps due to the educational system in FL) that kids from Florida tend to struggle academically at NCAC schools. At least relative to other schools in the area.

No doubt though, there is talent to be had in Florida. My entire point is, it does the young man nor the program no favors to bring someone in who is more likely to not complete his four years at the institution. Having said that, I am fully aware that there are also kids from Ohio that leave their schools as well.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

HCAlum86

Hiram opens with Earlham this year. What does everyone else's non-conference look like?
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: HCAlum86 on March 31, 2017, 12:15:40 PM
Hiram opens with Earlham this year. What does everyone else's non-conference look like?

Here's the NCAC composite schedule. Neither Hiram nor Earlham has posted its schedule for 2017 yet, so that game isn't reflected, but it looks like the other nine non-conference games are.

http://www.d3football.com/conf/NCAC/2017/schedule
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 31, 2017, 12:21:21 PM

Here's the NCAC composite schedule. Neither Hiram nor Earlham has posted its schedule for 2017 yet, so that game isn't reflected, but it looks like the other nine non-conference games are.

Some interesting games in there that are new this season.  Southwestern won the last (and final) SCAC championship in 2016.  I wonder if this is a home and home and Denison is going to Texas next year?  Bluffton on Wooster's schedule makes a ton more sense than continuing on with W&J- not sure that was helping either team in their current positions, tbh.  Sneaky good game there with Witt and Westminster.  Westminster is surging in the PAC- I really like that matchup. 

And as it did last year, Albion vs. Wabash in Week 1 scares the daylights out of me.  Maybe moreso this year than last because Wabash is going to be pretty green in a lot of important areas.  You don't have a lot of time to figure it out against Albion before they can run away and hide. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

WooClone15

Quote from: wally_wabash on March 31, 2017, 01:19:34 PM

Some interesting games in there that are new this season.  Southwestern won the last (and final) SCAC championship in 2016.  I wonder if this is a home and home and Denison is going to Texas next year?  Bluffton on Wooster's schedule makes a ton more sense than continuing on with W&J- not sure that was helping either team in their current positions, tbh.  Sneaky good game there with Witt and Westminster.  Westminster is surging in the PAC- I really like that matchup. 

And as it did last year, Albion vs. Wabash in Week 1 scares the daylights out of me.  Maybe moreso this year than last because Wabash is going to be pretty green in a lot of important areas.  You don't have a lot of time to figure it out against Albion before they can run away and hide.

Yeah, those W&J games were not that much fun to watch. And Bluffton'll definitely be a challenge, they were 7-3 last year, but I think Wooster has a much better shot.

HCAlum86

Quote from: WooClone15 on April 01, 2017, 02:02:03 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on March 31, 2017, 01:19:34 PM

Yeah, those W&J games were not that much fun to watch. And Bluffton'll definitely be a challenge, they were 7-3 last year, but I think Wooster has a much better shot.

I think Wooster will be a tough team next year.
July 13, 1904

sigma one

It appears that Wooster potentially will return the entire offense (minus Vogel).  The top five scorers return:  Adams, Bailey,  Cummings, Bowden,  Muntean  On defense they lose a couple of lineman and one defensive back.  But there's a lot of depth returning among the d-backs. They also return their kicker and punter.  That's a solid start. The challenge will be on defense; they gave up 478 yards and 36 points per game.  . 

DPU3619

Here's a quick look at one of DePauw's new QB commits - Chase Andries from Beech Grove HS. Says he intends to play basketball, as well.

Here's film of him as a junior against the team I used to coach for. We played some good ones against him. Beat him 41-37 in the game you see in the film after we were down 25-0 at half. If memory serves, we missed something silly like 50 tackles just on him that night. Couldn't get him on the ground to save our lives. Beat him 42-34 the year prior after we were down 14 in the 4th.

He can ball. Excited to see him in Greencastle.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on April 06, 2017, 12:09:07 AM
Here's a quick look at one of DePauw's new QB commits - Chase Andries from Beech Grove HS. Says he intends to play basketball, as well.

Here's film of him as a junior against the team I used to coach for. We played some good ones against him. Beat him 41-37 in the game you see in the film after we were down 25-0 at half. If memory serves, we missed something silly like 50 tackles just on him that night. Couldn't get him on the ground to save our lives. Beat him 42-34 the year prior after we were down 14 in the 4th.

looks like a nice player.  I wonder how what I saw on film will translate.  He's shifty. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

HCAlum86

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on April 06, 2017, 12:09:07 AM

Bit of a humble-brag there, Wes. I like it.
July 13, 1904

DPU3619

Quote from: HCAlum86 on April 11, 2017, 04:03:38 PM

We didn't win a lot at my last stop, so you better believe I'm gonna brag about the ones we did get! Haha.

HCAlum86

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on April 13, 2017, 04:08:13 AM
Quote from: HCAlum86 on April 11, 2017, 04:03:38 PM

We didn't win a lot at my last stop, so you better believe I'm gonna brag about the ones we did get! Haha.

Haha love it!
July 13, 1904