Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Was waiting for Magicman to post the BIG win for Cortland State's over Trinity! :). Guess he is too much of a gentleman to do so on this board.  Since I am presently in the "backyard" of Cortland visiting my daughter's family....I will do the honors....Cortland 17-6 over Trinity.  A trouncing of the no.2 team over the no. 1 team.  Trinity never seemed to me to be in the game.
The Nescac did prevail in other title games.  The Jumbos won the men's title...back to back Lax champs.  Tufts also won the softball title....amazing undefeated season...1-0 win.  Only 4 total hits in the match...3 hits by Tufts and 1 hit by their opponent.

Vandy74

amh63.....I have had the opportunity to watch a basketball with magicman as my Panthers beat his Plattsburg Cardinals.  Middhoops and I also had a few pregame beers with with him when he made to trip to Middlebury with some buddies the previous season.   He is a true gentleman as you say.    Big Congrats to Cortland State today.  I was visiting a friend recovering from some health problems and was unable to watch but the decisiveness of the victory is impressive.  After beating Middlebury 19-12 and Trinity 17-6 one has to look at the narrow 13-12 margin of the Red Dragons' Regional Final win over Catholic and perhaps give additional kudos to Mount Union for the solid first half they played against those Cardinals before the game's outcome became obvious.   Congratulations to a very fine Cortland team and to the SUNYAC as well.  Party Hearty.  You've earned it.

Claremont-Mudd-Scripps' doubles team of Warren Wood and Joe Dorn proved to be too much for Middlebury's Peter Heidrich and Palmer Campbell in yesterday's semifinals individual match officially ending the Panthers' fine season.  It was the third time this season the two pairs had competed against each other.   

magicman

Quote from: amh63 on May 24, 2015, 07:12:34 PM
Was waiting for Magicman to post the BIG win for Cortland State's over Trinity! :). Guess he is too much of a gentleman to do so on this board.  Since I am presently in the "backyard" of Cortland visiting my daughter's family....I will do the honors....Cortland 17-6 over Trinity.  A trouncing of the no.2 team over the no. 1 team.  Trinity never seemed to me to be in the game.
The Nescac did prevail in other title games.  The Jumbos won the men's title...back to back Lax champs.  Tufts also won the softball title....amazing undefeated season...1-0 win.  Only 4 total hits in the match...3 hits by Tufts and 1 hit by their opponent.

amh63,

Thank you for calling me a gentleman (and thanks to Vandy as well) but I did say a little bit about the Cortland/Trinity game on the previous page. Here are the posts....The first half post:

Quote from: magicman on May 24, 2015, 06:15:47 PM
Cortland leads Trinity 8-2 at the half. Cortland scored 2 goals inside of the first 3 minutes before the Bantams scored with 8 minutes gone by. It stayed that way until Cortland scored again with 13 minutes left in the half. The Red Dragons tacked on 2 more goals over the next 4 minutes and then got another one with 6 minutes to go t make it 6-1. Trinity got their 2nd goal with 4:36 left but the half ended with Cortland putting 2 more markers on the scoreboard. The 7th goal came with only 16 seconds left in the half and to add insult to injury the Red Dragons scored again 12 seconds later with only 4 ticks left to play. Both last second goals were scored by Cortland's Marilyn Farrell. That had to be a huge lift for the Cortland team going into the break.  Trinity needs to score a few quick goals early on to get back into this game in the 2nd half.

And the 2nd half post:

Quote from: magicman on May 24, 2015, 06:57:08 PM
Looks like the 2nd half of the Championship game was just more of the first half as Cortland outscored the Trinity Bantams 9-4 in the 2nd to win this game going away by a 17-6 final score. Congratulations to the Red Dragons who finally get the Big Doorstop after knocking on the door for a number of years.   

Glad to see the Tufts men take home the Walnut and Bronze in Men's Lax. And the Tufts women get the title in softball. Two National Championships in 1 week. Jumboland must be trumpeting quite loudly.

Cortland also with a chance for a 2nd National Title as the Men's Baseball team is 1 win away from playing for the D3 World Series Title. The winner of Pool A will play the winner of Pool B in a best 2 of 3 series for the Championship. Cortland in undefeated in Pool A and will have two chances to win it against either Frostburg State or Ramapo. Wisconsin La Crosse is in the drivers seat for Pool B and also has two chances to win that pool. Hoping the Red Dragons, who have been ranked #1 by D3baseball.com since April 13th can get a matching Big Doorstop. 

magicman

Quote from: amh63 on May 24, 2015, 07:12:34 PM

amh63,

I'm going to have to issue a slight reprimand here. :o I took you at your word that Tufts had won the Women's Softball Title and proceeded to tell several other people that Tufts won the title. I just discovered that not only have they not won the title but they have to beat Texas Tyler in a best of 3 series that started today at 1 PM.

The good news is the Jumbos won the game that started at 1:00 PM by a score of 2-0. They will play a 2nd game today that just started at 3:45 PM. If they win that one, then they would be champs. If they lose that game, there will be a winner take all game tomorrow starting at 11:00 AM.

Tufts' record is now 50-0 for the year and their NCAA D3 record undefeated streak has reached 52 games.

The only thing I can think of, amh63, is that you were gazing into your crystal ball when you made that quoted comment above, that Tufts had won the National Championship. You foresaw it happening and forgot that it was "going to happen" and not "did happen".  ;) 

amh63

Just got back from visiting the Cornell Un. "Plantations" .....herb gardens, etc. and the Dairy Bar....yes there is a Vet School...or Big Animal School in the Ivies...therefore a place to buy ice cream.  Not as good as the UConn ice cream Dairy Bar.
Yes, you caught me Magicman with my "pants down".   Realize my error when I went to the Tufts' web page after a visit to the softball board.  Oh well, if Tufts win the second game, they will be a three-peat title.  Nescac1 pointed out their ace pitcher who is almost unhittable.  Wonder if they will rest their star for the third game or go with their star?
Thanks for being nice to me... :)

magicman

amh63,

I didn't catch you with your pants down...as I mentioned earlier you were just exercising your prescient abilities. The Tufts Jumbos have indeed won the National Championship in softball just as you stated, almost a full day before it happened, as they defeated Texas Tyler in the 2nd game of the best of 3 series by a final score of 7-4. It was the culmination of a perfect season as the Jumbos ended up with a 51-0 record. They have now extended their  record unbeaten streak to 53 straight games and today's title was their 3rd straight National Championship.

Texas Tyler didn't go away quietly as they lost a closely contested first game today by a final score of 2-0. They had a 1-0 lead in the 2nd game and increased it to 2-0 in the bottom of the 5th. Tufts would not be denied however as they finally broke through with a big 6th inning and scored 6 runs to take a lead they would not surrender.

The Jumbos' ironwoman Allyson Fournier pitched 2 complete games today to notch her 34th and 35th wins of the season without a defeat. 35-0...imagine some years down the road you can tell the story of how you were 35-0 as a pitcher in college one year. Her ERA going into the final game, today, was an incredibly miniscule 0.10. She had only given up 3 earned runs in 203.2 innings. Texas Tyler scored 3 earned runs off her in the final game, so she ended up surrendering 6 earned runs in 210.2 innings. That's probably the most impressive pitching statistic I have ever heard for man or woman. 8-)

amh63

The Tufts softball team has an interesting side-line story.  The catcher for the team is the younger sister...FY?....of the star pitcher.   Or someone with the same last name.    That's how it goes some times.  Amherst had two talented pairs of brothers play together on the soccer team and there is the younger Killian on the Lax team...the older Killian being one of the starters on the MBB team.
Notice how I posted a Lax related point here :).

magicman

Good job amh63 Good job.  ;D ;)

Not sure if the Fournier ladies are related though, as one comes from Connecticut and one comes from Massachusetts.

Vandy74

Quote from: magicman on May 25, 2015, 09:04:04 PM
Good job amh63 Good job.  ;D ;)

Not sure if the Fournier ladies are related though, as one comes from Connecticut and one comes from Massachusetts.

Cousins maybe?  Although 6-7 years back the MC tennis program had an HC and an asst coach with the same last name who weren't related. 

magicman

As I mentioned earlier on this board the Cortland State Red Dragons had a chance to match the 2 National Championships that the Tufts Jumbos won this past weekend.

The Cortland Men just polished off Wisconsin-La Crosse in the D3 College World Series by winning 2 straight games in the best of 3 series. Cortland, as they have continued to do all year and in numerous instances in the postseason, came from behind and scored 5 runs in the top of the 9th inning to win the game by a 6-2 score. Yesterday they took the first game in the series by an 11-3 score. Cortland completed play in the NCAA Regionals,  and in the DIII World Series with an undefeated record going 9-0 in the NCAA Tournament. They ended up with a final record of 45-4.

Good job by the spring athletic teams of Cortland as the Men's Lax and Women's Softball teams also made the NCAA tournament.   

Vandy74

Keeping one of those DIII Wisconsin schools from winning a national championship is always a good thing. ;D  With the school year ending and the athletic schedules doing so as well it's time for some miscellaneous stuff before signing off on the boards for the most part.  Interesting to note that Wis.-La Crosse doesn't field a lacrosse team.  :o  Now here's the real question of the day.  Cortland is a NY state school.  NY Governor Andrew Cuomo's long time girl friend TV cooking celeb Sandra Lee is an alumna of Wisconsin-La Crosse.  Who was the Guv rooting for in this one?  On a serious note, Ms Lee underwent a double mastectomy very recently and I wish her a speedy recovery.

amh63

OK posters here....Summer is finally around...with a BANG.  Before calling it quits....think about popping over to the other boards sometime.  Football is always in need of posters with great depth of knowledge vice Bravado. :)
Watching too much "tube" Vandy....yes, there is no tube with today's flat screens.
It is interesting to read comments on other boards wrt to the changing of conferences.  Talk of the " mission" and the right number of schools, etc.  Guess the "CAC" can be considered a stable one.

Last comment.....congrats to the Red Dragons!  Still, the locals consider it to be a "jock" school.  Yes, an old term not PC correct in today's world of college sports.

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 28, 2015, 03:41:33 AM
Keeping one of those DIII Wisconsin schools from winning a national championship is always a good thing. ;D  With the school year ending and the athletic schedules doing so as well it's time for some miscellaneous stuff before signing off on the boards for the most part.  Interesting to note that Wis.-La Crosse doesn't field a lacrosse team.  :o  Now here's the real question of the day.  Cortland is a NY state school.  NY Governor Andrew Cuomo's long time girl friend TV cooking celeb Sandra Lee is an alumna of Wisconsin-La Crosse.  Who was the Guv rooting for in this one?  On a serious note, Ms Lee underwent a double mastectomy very recently and I wish her a speedy recovery.

No WIAC schools sponsor lacrosse----yet. :o :o :o
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

amh63

Guess I will make the last post here :)....until school opens up again.
Seems Midd and Amherst has reloaded their assistant Lax coaches..women side.  Midd hired the assist coach at Amherst...a goalkeeper defensive background....while Amherst hired an offensive background assistant..last job was at Div 1 Rutgers and a former player at Notre Dame.  Both new assistants will handle recruiting coordinator duties.

SJSUPhil

Quote from: amh63 on June 11, 2015, 12:30:31 PM
Guess I will make the last post here :)....until school opens up again.
Seems Midd and Amherst has reloaded their assistant Lax coaches..women side.  Midd hired the assist coach at Amherst...a goalkeeper defensive background....while Amherst hired an offensive background assistant..last job was at Div 1 Rutgers and a former player at Notre Dame.  Both new assistants will handle recruiting coordinator duties.

Congratulations to Amherst on hiring that Assistant Coach (and former player) with a Division 1 background.