FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommiegun

So, what's the word on Benedictine?  From the looks of it they have a fairly balanced offense...

RFMichigan

I am not a Benedictine follower necessarily but saw them on their video feed (a very good quality one at that, as was mentioned on the basketball board last night for their basketball game vs. IWU) a couple of times. Their offense in their first conference game vs. Concordia-Chicago seemed to be fairly balanced run-pass. I'm not sure that their QB is a "runner" but he did gain some valuable yards by scrambling around and running downfield a bit.  Most of their passes were short "outs" or "middle distance" in the seams. (Not many "bombs" in the air.) Their running back runs hard out of the I and got most of his yards off tackle and especially around end on stretch handoffs in the games I saw.

Their two closest conference games were their first two of the year as they really weren't challenged after that. Their defense gave up 42 to CUC who passed pretty much at will in the first of the two.  It was interesting that two of their non-conference losses came to a team who is a "running" team (North Park) and a "passing" team (Kalamazoo).

Their two closest conference games were their first two of the year and really weren't challenged after that.

d3fan1515

Pretty good analysis from RF. A few other notes, BU's O is the strength of their team, even though they are  very young (8 players return next year).  Pretty balanced as RF said, biggest playmaker is # 1 he runs very hard but can also make you miss.  They have two receivers that are each nearing 1,000 yards receiving, one is more of a possession guy and the other is more of a deep threat.  The QB is very good, he is a big kid with a strong arm, he is also a very efficient passer. both him and the RB #1 are transfers from Illinois State University. The O line is a young unit, mostly sophmores, but has jelled pretty well and should be a strength for BU for the next couple years. The defense was very young at the begining of the year, only 5 returning starters from the year before and they have gotten much better since then. I saw that someone posted that the Dline is small, and I would say they are but they do have bigger bodies that they rotate in. They are rotated in bc they are only frosh, they have also improved. How about St. Thomas, any insight?

tommiegun

St. Thomas is a run first offense that likes to pound the ball, with or without a FB, off tackle.  #8 has been somewhat injured this year but is an absolute horse.  He never seems to be that good, as many MIAC observers will tell you, but always gets his yards and TD's.  #37 is the speed burst runner who offers a nice change of pace.  St. Thomas #17 at QB is a run first, option type, guy that is very, very shifty but has become a much better pass thrower over the year.  He plays most of the snaps but every once and awhile #22, the pass first option, plays.  #4 is the best receiver - I think you will be impressed by how difficult he is to tackle.

The defense is stout.  They don't take a ton of risks - bend don't break D.  They have, however, struggled somewhat with teams who are able to just flat out run between the tackles (St. Johns, Bethel).

Overall, they are a very good team from a very good conference (3rd best all-time playoff record; granted, mostly St. John's) and are a #1 seed.  Hopefully they will perform as such.

RFMichigan

Quote from: d3fan1515 on November 17, 2010, 12:00:52 AM
A few other notes, BU's O is the strength of their team, even though they are  very young (8 players return next year).  The QB is very good, he is a big kid with a strong arm, he is also a very efficient passer. both him and the RB #1 are transfers from Illinois State University.

You know, I saw the BU-CUC finale in 2009, and the Benedictine offense in that game - close to the vest, power running, and rather methodical - was remarkably different than the 2010 version I saw, and I couldn't figure how (or why) they were so much more wide-open and "explosive" (for the NathCon). I would say that the QB (his name escapes me, but I noticed that he was ranked in the top 5 in the nation in dIII passing efficiency) and Borselino made a world of difference for them.  Since they were "unknowns", it is no surprise that BU was not picked higher in the preseason NathCon picks, but I'm sure that it won't happen again next year. If they're not picked to finish first next year I would be shocked.

Look It Up

I know that Borsellino should be back for BU next year but what of the QB Preston Earl (son of former Chicago Bear Robin)? I seem to remember seeing him listed as a senior on a roster. Does he have any eligibility left?

d3fan1515

I dont think Earl has any eligibility left after this season. He is a SR, but bc of transferring and what not he may have another yr.

old 40

My guesses for this weeks 1st round in the St. Thomas bracket.

BU@ST.Thomas- If BU can pass the ball it will not be a blow out(more than 50 points) if they can't move the ball it is a 50+ point loss. ST.Thomas 63-7

Cal Lutheran@Linfield- I only know Linfield has a excellent history and saw them last year at Whitewater. Linfield wins 28-19

Bethal@Wartburg- Maybe one of the better games in the 1st. round. Wartburg wins a tough defensive battle 14-9

Coe @Wheaton- Wheaton is tough at home. Wheaton wins 21-14

Good Luck to BU, play your best ball of the year on Saturday.

RFMichigan

Quote from: old 40 on November 19, 2010, 10:33:48 AM
My guesses for this weeks 1st round in the St. Thomas bracket.

BU@ST.Thomas- If BU can pass the ball it will not be a blow out(more than 50 points) if they can't move the ball it is a 50+ point loss. ST.Thomas 63-7

Yikes. I hope Benny doesn't have to break out the highway patrol defense. ("Son, you gotta keep 'em under 55.")

Seriously, good luck BU and represent the conference well.

WLCALUM83

Highway patrol defense-- first time I've heard that one--

Better than the "Matador" ("Toro, toro, ole") defense--  ;) ;) ;) :-X

old 40

Just look at the NAC web site and the all conference teams are listed.

Congrats to all. A job well done. Noticed alot of Seniors on the team this year. Thats a great way to end your careers.

Cougswillwin

Congrats to Khyree Copeland for being named to the 2nd team All-North Region Team!

Also, 4 Cougars have been selected to play in an All-Star game this weekend up at the Metrodome (hopefully the roof gets fixed). Mike Eggebrecht, Mike Marotta, Khyree Copeland, and Mason Thompson (sorry if I left any one out) are playing up in Minneapolis this weekend. From the sounds of it, they will have quite the following heading up to the real frozen tundra to watch them play. Congrats to those Cougars!
"And when the roosters are crowing and the cows are spinnin circles in the pastures........DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!"

bleedblue

Congrats to AU's Mike Langhurst for being selected as a AFCA All-American!!!

http://athletics.aurora.edu/news/2010/12/13/FB_1213103825.aspx

Look It Up

Quote from: Cougswillwin on December 13, 2010, 09:04:34 AM
Congrats to Khyree Copeland for being named to the 2nd team All-North Region Team!

Also, 4 Cougars have been selected to play in an All-Star game this weekend up at the Metrodome (hopefully the roof gets fixed). Mike Eggebrecht, Mike Marotta, Khyree Copeland, and Mason Thompson (sorry if I left any one out) are playing up in Minneapolis this weekend. From the sounds of it, they will have quite the following heading up to the real frozen tundra to watch them play. Congrats to those Cougars!

Curtis Underwood is also on the list of Cougars playing in that game. Now of course, waiting to find out where that game will be. As of right now (Tuesday night), the Metrodome calendar has all events canceled until Monday's Bears-Vikings game. The All-American Bowl website was supposed to announce something today, but it appears that they are going overtime to try and nail down an alternate venue.

Look It Up

QuoteThe All-American Bowl website was supposed to announce something today, but it appears that they are going overtime to try and nail down an alternate venue.

New venue is the Gibson/Nagurski indoor facility on the University of Minnesota campus.