MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Maybe covered....

NAIA is also an option but is probably worse than the WIAC would be for travel.  There is no NAIA league in Minnesota they would have to join the GPAC (Iowa, Nebraska) or the North Star (North and South Dakota)  The GPAC is at 10 schools, the North Star at 9 schools.   The other option is the Heart of America Conference which spans Missouri, Iowa, Kanas....not the least bit ideal.  They're at 13 schools.

With NAIA consolidating from 2 divisions to 1 I might expect some movement and conference changes in the coming years, so that landscape might look a lot different in the next 5 years.  I could see St. Thomas going "non-scholarship" NAIA for a few years maybe.

jamtod

Quote from: sac on May 15, 2019, 03:59:47 PM
Maybe covered....

NAIA is also an option but is probably worse than the WIAC would be for travel.  There is no NAIA league in Minnesota they would have to join the GPAC (Iowa, Nebraska) or the North Star (North and South Dakota)  The GPAC is at 10 schools, the North Star at 9 schools.   The other option is the Heart of America Conference which spans Missouri, Iowa, Kanas....not the least bit ideal.  They're at 13 schools.

With NAIA consolidating from 2 divisions to 1 I might expect some movement and conference changes in the coming years, so that landscape might look a lot different in the next 5 years.  I could see St. Thomas going "non-scholarship" NAIA for a few years maybe.

I don't see any benefit to going NAIA over finding a different (less than ideal) conference or jumping D2. I don't see why it would even be a consideration.

sac

Quote from: jamtoTommie on May 16, 2019, 12:31:33 PM
Maybe covered....

I don't see any benefit to going NAIA over finding a different (less than ideal) conference or jumping D2. I don't see why it would even be a consideration.

It would be a consideration if you can't find a D3 conference to join and find being an independent prohibitive, you need a sponsor to join D2 and there doesn't look like a likely pathway there.  Which leaves going NAIA.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: sac on May 16, 2019, 04:12:49 PM
Maybe covered....

It would be a consideration if you can't find a D3 conference to join and find being an independent prohibitive, you need a sponsor to join D2 and there doesn't look like a likely pathway there.  Which leaves going NAIA.

Why not?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Maybe covered....

NAIA is a no-go if you want to keep your academic reputation intact.  There's a reason all these NAIA teams are switching over to D3 and D2.  The NCAA banner means A LOT in recruiting right now.  I can't imagine UST would ever consider it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jamtod

Maybe covered....

The hurdles to overcome with the D3 conferences are basically the same you would encounter going NAIA although maybe an NAIA conference would be more willing to bend over backwards to allow a non-local school. D2 (NSIC) would still be more appealing also. As a fan/alum, I would opt for D3 independent before NAIA, to buy time to get the right D3 conference invite

Gregory Sager

Quote from: jamtoTommie on May 18, 2019, 06:42:41 AMAs a fan/alum, I would opt for D3 independent before NAIA, to buy time to get the right D3 conference invite

D3 indie is a place that you do not want to go. It would play havoc with scheduling. Tommies coaches in most sports would find themselves being forced to front-load their entire schedules, and then doing little else but practicing while everybody else plays out their conference schedules. It won't necessarily have to be a competitive impediment if the team is good enough to contend on a national level -- just ask this past season's Thomas More women's basketball team about that -- but it's no way to run an entire athletic department if you don't have to. Football might offer the work-around of finding games against teams that are having their bye weeks in odd-numbered conferences, but the reality of that situation is that the Tommies gridders would rack up some immense bus mileage playing that kind of a schedule. Baseball and softball would find their headaches multiplied, because it's hard enough for Minnesota-based teams that are already in conferences to squeeze in all of their games within the short window of good weather that exists up there before the season ends.

And on top of all that, Tommies teams wouldn't be playing for an AQ. Some sports have Pool B spots, but others don't. (It all depends upon how many indie schools in each sport there are per the total number of participating schools.) If the Tommies aren't playing for a Pool B berth in a particular sport, it would mean that they would be trying to compete for a Pool C berth without having the benefit of a schedule tailored to do so.

If UST wants to stay in D3, the athletic department as a whole would really be set back if the school went indie.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jamtod

All I am saying is:
If UST wants to stay in D3, the athletic department as a whole would REALLY be set back if the school went NAIA.

AndOne

Ryan Scott has advised us that the NAIA is a "no go" if you want to keep your academic reputation intact. From what I know of the NAIA, and the kids I've seen over the years that can't be admitted to many NCAA schools, but seemingly have little to no trouble being admitted to NAIA institutions, this appears to be an accurate assessment. I don't know what UST's academic reputation is. Are they regarded as having a high academic standing? If so, it seems the Administration wouldn't give much, if any, consideration to joining the ranks of the NAIA.

Greg Sager has reiterated the misadventures associated with being and NCAA Independent, especially the pitfalls associated with travel. Expenses, and time away from class would also soar.

In light of the above, it appears that the best option available to UST, when they are booted from the MIAC, might be to look toward moving to D2. Perhaps UST, and all their big school brothers from the WIAC, could form a new D2 conference. How about the Upper Midwest Conference? 🏀 🤔 😏

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: AndOne on May 20, 2019, 03:22:14 PM
Ryan Scott has advised us that the NAIA is a "no go" if you want to keep your academic reputation intact. From what I know of the NAIA, and the kids I've seen over the years that can't be admitted to many NCAA schools, but seemingly have little to no trouble being admitted to NAIA institutions, this appears to be an accurate assessment. I don't know what UST's academic reputation is. Are they regarded as having a high academic standing? If so, it seems the Administration wouldn't give much, if any, consideration to joining the ranks of the NAIA.

Greg Sager has reiterated the misadventures associated with being and NCAA Independent, especially the pitfalls associated with travel. Expenses, and time away from class would also soar.

In light of the above, it appears that the best option available to UST, when they are booted from the MIAC, might be to look toward moving to D2. Perhaps UST, and all their big school brothers from the WIAC, could form a new D2 conference. How about the Upper Midwest Conference? 🏀 🤔 😏

Just to clarify, I make no actual assertions about the academic quality of NAIA schools, simply that it's been widely reported to me that NCAA membership makes a difference to prospective students, partly on academic grounds.  Schools are moving to the NCAA because it aids in recruiting, often because of academics.  I know there are NAIA schools that play fast and loose with admissions standards - and the NAIA is more lax on requirements - I just don't want to be seen as bad-mouthing the whole organization when I don't know enough to have an opinion.

I don't see any way St. Thomas views that as a viable option, though.  If they go D2, I suspect it'll be with an eye on D1 in a decade or so.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Smitty Oom

The NCAA D2 conference NSIC is losing Augustana (SD) to D1, so they most likely do not need to form a new conference to make that move up. Their current format of 16 total teams split up into a 8 team north division and 8 team south division would be easily maintained with the addition of UST, should they seek that opportunity. Personally, it is the most seamless fit for UST, as the schools are mainly from MN (9), with 2 schools from ND, 2 from eastern SD, 1 from Iowa and 1 from Nebraska.

**EDIT: I just read AndOne's post in the WIAC thread, I understand he was joking about a new conference now. I will keep this post here incase anyone had missed this D2 opportunity for UST.

Smitty Oom

Also, former Bethel All-Conference guard Bridge Tusler is the new Head Boys Basketball coach at Monticello HS. Congrats to him and good luck as he takes over the Magic program.

SUMMIT!!!!!

it is official

https://www.miacathletics.com/general/2018-19/releases/20190510vxuc8l

what a few whining crybabies couldn't do on the playing field, they've done in the cloakroom under the cover of secrecy.

Wanna bet the spineless saps wont ever release a list of who voted in favor?

After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Greek Tragedy

Sounded like they "voluntarily" decided to leave before the vote.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on May 22, 2019, 01:29:05 PM
Sounded like they "voluntarily" decided to leave before the vote.

If you want to buy that story line ...

Kind of like the story line the newspaper that covers Thomas More wanted to believe (that TMU decided to leave the conference ... in a quick year ... on it's own).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.