Cortaca 2015

Started by Bombers798891, November 03, 2015, 11:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdex

Have followed this a bit from afar .........just assuming this is a spinoff of the UMissoui situation?

We should have done a bit more of our homework, as in Googling 'Ithaca College Protest.' Seems as though this has become more visible at IC on the heels of Mizzou and Yale

pg04

Quote from: jdex on November 13, 2015, 10:21:12 AM

Have followed this a bit from afar .........just assuming this is a spinoff of the UMissoui situation?

At least from my following of the situation (since bombers originally mentioned it), Things have been tense at Ithaca before I was even aware of the Mizzou situation.

Frank Rossi

Unfortunately, the house of cards scenario that came from the Missouri situation has an adverse effect on perceptions of the Ithaca situation, whether or not it has merit.  It's ironic and probably unfair how that works, but Ithaca is getting lumped into Missouri discussions still, especially with the new information that hurt the Missouri cause.

Jonny Utah

It sounds like Ithaca is planning on backing the president.  Got this email today from the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and Communication:

QuoteOver the past 36 hours, Ithaca College has experienced increased media coverage related to a demonstration that was held November 11 on the academic quad. This event was the most recent in a series of passionate conversations about issues of racism and cultural bias on our campus. We have been deeply engaged in these conversations in our community throughout the fall semester.

Dialogues like this are happening at colleges and universities, as well as in cities and towns across the country, and point toward the need for a systemic change at Ithaca College and elsewhere.

Our campus is in the midst of a very active conversation about these complex issues. But this is still the Ithaca College you remember and love from your days as a student. As always, we embrace our students' energy and engagement around problems in this community and beyond. Such debate is a vital part of any vibrant, active, learning community, and a critical component of forging lasting change.

President Rochon and other campus leaders have reiterated the college's commitment to the principles of inclusion — and to the goal of ensuring that Ithaca College is a place where all students, faculty, staff, and visitors feel safe and respected. As you may know, the college is currently implementing a plan to change our campus climate; I encourage you to view more details at ithaca.edu/diversity.

You can also visit ithaca.edu/campusupdates to view additional resources and support services that are available to our community.

Today, the conversation continues and, despite the national media attention, classes are in session, clubs are meeting, athletes are practicing, and our entire community is focused on the work in front of us: making this campus community a more welcoming, compassionate environment for all. 

Sincerely,

Chris Biehn
Vice President for Institutional Advancement and Communication

Jonny Utah

http://theithacan.org/opinion/qa-provost-discusses-future-plans-and-confidence-in-rochon/

This article actually shows a little more about the appearance that IC will probably end up keeping the president.

Jonny Utah

In a separate article, Ithaca College President Thomas Rochon was asked about his biggest failure as President:

"Rochon said his biggest failures were the failed attempt to implement a mascot"

Go Bombers!!!

pg04

I figured that an ouster would be much tougher at a private institution. Not that I believe one should happen. I am not nearly aware enough to have an opinion.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: pg04 on November 13, 2015, 11:33:14 AM
I figured that an ouster would be much tougher at a private institution. Not that I believe one should happen. I am not nearly aware enough to have an opinion.

True, the problem with these issues is that even if you have an opinion, you might get labeled something if you share it, so many people just keep their mouths shut.  Which is really the saddest part about the whole thing.

cstate19

Quote from: Div3Fan on November 12, 2015, 11:26:27 PM
Quote from: cstate19 on November 12, 2015, 09:23:35 PM
For the first time ever, the Bomber football fans' ever creative chants of "State School" will be a compliment on Saturday as there will be no students living off Mommy and Daddy's dime at a $55,000 year school whining about how unfair their life is.

That's a completely dishonest and arbitrary assessment, but sure, allow an athletic rivalry to cloud every iota of your logical processes. There are good jokes and bad jokes, this was just inane.

Settle down. With all the stuff that has been said, printed on t-shirts, and said in person to opposing fans in the Cortaca rivalry, this is the one that bothers you?

Quote from: pg04 on November 12, 2015, 11:45:50 PM
Quote from: Div3Fan on November 12, 2015, 11:26:27 PM
For the first time ever, the Bomber football fans' ever creative chants of "State School" will be a compliment on Saturday as there will be no students living off Mommy and Daddy's dime at a $55,000 year school whining about how unfair their life is.

That's a completely dishonest and arbitrary assessment, but sure, allow an athletic rivalry to cloud every iota of your logical processes. There are good jokes and bad jokes, this was just inane.

I was just hoping it's not as nefarious as I read into it.

If something is truly nefarious, you wouldn't have to read into it, it would probably stand on its own.

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 13, 2015, 08:13:19 AM
The mid week pep rallies at Ithaca look awesome! For the first time ever, the Bomber football fans' ever creative chants of "State School" will be a compliment on Saturday as there will be no students living off Mommy and Daddy's dime at a $55,000 year school whining about how unfair their life is.

That shows a staggeringly ignorant viewpoint of what's going on at Ithaca right now

As staggeringly ignorant as believing one school is better than another because it costs more?

Look, the post was made tongue in cheek and was meant to be a joke.  Didn't think it was funny? So be it, but to think that statement was anything other than a jab at IC then you are nuts.

I never said I knew exactly what was going on.  I have a rough idea but as Bombers pointed out, I am sure there is a lot more under the surface than what is being reported.  The joke was not meant to make light of any serious issues but rather the fact that for years (joking or not) Cortland has been painted as a college of uncivilized neanderthals while Ithaca has painted themselves as a progressive college that is intellectually and socially light years ahead of their athletic rival.  To see the opposite play out was humorous to me. 

As I said earlier, I can take you not finding the joke funny but acting like I said something awful is a reach of epic proportions.

Bombers798891

Quote from: pg04 on November 13, 2015, 10:29:25 AM
Quote from: jdex on November 13, 2015, 10:21:12 AM

At least from my following of the situation (since bombers originally mentioned it), Things have been tense at Ithaca before I was even aware of the Mizzou situation.

The current issues, while very serious, are not, by far, the totality of the problems. The full problems pre-date these incidents by years. I don't feel comfortable going into more detail, but the bottom line is that if you think it's just about the issues being reported on currently, you are wrong

Div3Fan

Quote from: cstate19 on November 13, 2015, 04:10:22 PM
As I said earlier, I can take you not finding the joke funny but acting like I said something awful is a reach of epic proportions.

Worse "joke" I've heard in awhile. What you said wasn't awful, but, as I said, inane.

Div3Fan

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 13, 2015, 04:20:57 PM
The current issues, while very serious, are not, by far, the totality of the problems. The full problems pre-date these incidents by years. I don't feel comfortable going into more detail, but the bottom line is that if you think it's just about the issues being reported on currently, you are wrong

Exactly, and it is the same at Mizz and Yale. Tensions have been rising on these campuses for awhile now.

cstate19

"Cortland would get killed in the E8."

Conference Champs.

6 in a row.  Ouch.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: cstate19 on November 14, 2015, 02:18:03 PM

Reading yes, football no.

cstate19

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on November 14, 2015, 02:18:53 PM
Quote from: cstate19 on November 14, 2015, 02:18:03 PM

Reading yes, football no.

Wow, that was sad. How the mighty have fallen.