BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 10, 2019, 04:46:30 PM
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday Millikin looked like the 1927 Yankees against North Park and Augustana. Today the Big Blue only managed three singles and a couple of walks against Charlie Klemm, as North Central topped MU, 4-0.

In addition to timely hitting, the Cardinals have certainly benefited from some great pitching over the last couple of days.

Yesterday, after the NCC starter surrendered 3 runs to IWU in both the 2nd and 3rd inning that left the Cards with a slim one run lead, reliever Patrick Schaefer entered the game after one batter in the 4th.
Schaefer then proceeded to finish the game, scattering 6 hits in his full 6 innings of scoreless relief to earn the win in an eventual 14-6 victory in which he lowered his ERA to a sparkling 1.47.

Today, in what I suspect is a rare occurrence within the conference, NCC's Charlie Klemm spun a masterful 3 hit, complete-game, 4-0 shutout of Millikin. Klemm, who surrendered a base hit to the first batter he faced, did not allow another hit until the 5th. The 3 hits he gave up were all singles, and he did not allow a runner past 2nd base while improving his CCIW-leading record to 8-0.

The Cardinals can win the Tournament Championship with a victory in a 1:00 PM game tomorrow vs.
an as yet unknown opponent. They will enter tomorrow's action as the lone unbeaten team from among the 6 tournament participants and, under the double elimination format, would need to be defeated twice in order not to secure the CCIW's automatic qualifier. 

Gregory Sager

There's been a number of complete games and/or shutouts this season, Mark, some of which have had three hits or less allowed. Klemm's game, great as it was, is hardly a unicorn.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

North Park eliminated Augustana, 4-2, as Matt Pizur and Tyler Banks combined for a solid performance, with Banks picking up his seventh win. Vikings bats, which were pretty much handcuffed by Matt Hoban when he beat NPU back on March 30, were just good enough today to push across the margin of victory plus an insurance run.

Two down, one to go!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: AndOne on May 10, 2019, 06:12:24 PM

Today, in what I suspect is a rare occurrence within the conference, NCC's Charlie Klemm spun a masterful 3 hit, complete-game, 4-0 shutout of Millikin. Klemm, who surrendered a base hit to the first batter he faced, did not allow another hit until the 5th. The 3 hits he gave up were all singles, and he did not allow a runner past 2nd base while improving his CCIW-leading record to 8-0.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 10, 2019, 06:28:41 PM
There's been a number of complete games and/or shutouts this season, Mark, some of which have had three hits or less allowed. Klemm's game, great as it was, is hardly a unicorn.

As of this instant, between both the regular season and 7 conference tournament games so far, there have been 223 games played between CCIW conference teams this year. 13 of those 223 conference games (5.8%) have been shutouts. Not a unicorn, no, but hardly a multitudinous sum. And it's very likely that not all of those 13 were complete games as was Charlie Klemm's.
So yes, great as it was. 😊

Gregory Sager

Gregory Sager

North Pak's season ends with a 3-2 loss to Illinois Wesleyan. The Vikings had two good chances in the late innings to close the deficit, but couldn't get the clutch hit when they needed it.

Winning three games in one day, and then winning three the next, is about as big of a longshot as they come. While I'm not happy about NPU's season ending, at least the Vikings made a good accounting of themselves in struggling to climb that particular Everest by claiming the first two of the six wins required and then taking the third game right down to the wire.

Thanks to all eleven graduating Vikings -- heck, I think that they've all technically graduated due to having to participate in an early commencement ceremony just for them, haven't they? -- and especially to everyday starters Cullen Gilbertson at 1B, Kyle Balash at 2B, Niko Buck in RF, and Anthony DiNardo at DH, and to #1 starter Josh Ward and to reliever Andy Robbins, for all of the hard work and time that they've put in for the team over the past four years.

Mr. Ypsi

IWU hangs on to defeat NPU, 3-2.  Quinn Gudaitis went the distance for the Titans, yielding zero earned runs (both Viking runs came on passed balls). 

First game tomorrow will be IWU vs. Millikin, with the winner facing the unenviable task of beating NCC TWICE.

AndOne

Perhaps one of tomorrow's hurlers will throw a 🦄. 😏

Mr. Ypsi

Anyone know the status of the IWU/NCC game?  It has been rain delay top of the fifth for hours now - odds of resuming the game?  For most of the time, gamestats had it as Millikin(!) 5, NCC 2; then for a while they had what I assume was the correct info with NCC 5, IWU 2.  Now they've deleted all that (except the rain delay note) and posted yesterday's IWU/NCC(!) victory for IWU.  I no longer know what to believe!

AndOne

Yes. It seems the rain has finally abated but the NCC field has absorbed too much H2O. The teams are now in route to Pfund Stadium in Wheaton where the game will resume with IWU batting in the top of the 5th inning with the score NCC 5, IWU 2. If NCC maintains the lead, they win the tournament.
Should IWU come back and win, I believe the plan is to play what would then be the tournament championship game tomorrow at 11:00 in Naperville.

* The game at all turf Pfund will begin at 6:30. ⚾️

Mr. Ypsi

Thanks, AndOne.  Soon after I posted, I found that the game had finally resumed (didn't know about the change in venue).  I sense that both teams have run out of reliable pitchers, as IWU immediately scored 5 runs, and NCC came back with one.  Entering the 6th, it is IWU 7, NCC 6.

mr_b

North Central tops IWU in 10 innings, 8-7, on a bases-loaded fielder's choice. NCC wins the CCIW Tournament and advances to regional play.

Mr. Ypsi

Up 7-6 going into the bottom of the 9th, I thought the Titans might survive another day.  Alas, the Cards tied it in the 9th, and won it in the 10th.

I'm reasonably satisfied that the Titans finished 2nd in the tourney, but I never totally give up hoping 'til they are officially eliminated. :(

There just weren't any arms left by the end - and Brune had pitched 8 very solid innings on Thursday, so amazing he could come back at all.

AndOne

Quote from: mr_b on May 11, 2019, 09:09:00 PM
North Central tops IWU in 10 innings, 8-7, on a bases-loaded fielder's choice. NCC wins the CCIW Tournament and advances to regional play.

Lots of big hits, great pitches, and dazzling catches by various members of all the tournament teams over the weekend. Congrats to to the NCC Cardinals on a well earned championship.
Things weren't exactly looking great for the host team going into the bottom of the 9th tonight down by one. However, with two out, Jared Wojcik delivered perhaps NCC's biggest hit when he singled in the tying run to send the game to the 10h where the Cards won it.

* The game recap isn't in yet, but the live stats summary indicates NCC's winning run scored when, with one out in the bottom of the 10th, Colin Weilbacher reached on a fielder's choice.
Is anyone aware of the details of that play? Did IWU try for an inning ending double play with Weilbacher beating the throw or what?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: AndOne on May 11, 2019, 10:42:48 PM
Quote from: mr_b on May 11, 2019, 09:09:00 PM

* The game recap isn't in yet, but the live stats summary indicates NCC's winning run scored when, with one out in the bottom of the 10th, Colin Weilbacher reached on a fielder's choice.
Is anyone aware of the details of that play? Did IWU try for an inning ending double play with Weilbacher beating the throw or what?

https://twitter.com/msr0729/status/1127403628627734530

Whatever happened, it sure looks like the IWU guys were pretty unhappy.