MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pridefan

Quote from: JustAFan on January 05, 2008, 10:30:06 PM
Don't look now but Wheaton has quietly put together a pre-league 9-1 record on the heels of today's 87-67 win over a pretty good (6-3) Fitchburg State team.  What makes it all the more impressive is that Wheaton is starting 3 freshmen along with a sophomore and junior, and the first guard off the bench is another freshman.

Congrats on a strong start.  Do you know what happened to Eric Johnston from last year?

It will be interesting to see how such a young lineup handles NEWMAC play, especially the 2nd time around with each team.  From their season's stats summary, it looks like if you stop each of their top two scorers, you stop the team....especially Coppola - since half of his made shots are 3's. Agree?

Wheaton vs Springfield has always been a tough, close game and it sounds like this year will be no different. Thanks for the update so we can get the NEWMAC postings active heading into league play.

LyonFan

Eric Johnston basically dropped out of Wheaton - seems it was not a good fit academically.

It will indeed be interesting to see how the freshmen guards handle the intensity and pressure of NEWMAC games.  There are no easy wins, no easy games, in the conference.  I would have to make Coast Guard the favorite to finish on top with the re-addition of the other Johnson, but everyone else looks good.  Even though they have poor records thus far, Babson and Springfield have played very tough non-conference schedules.

I will say this about Wheaton: Cappola is a heck of a scorer.

clarkie

It looks like the NEWMAC is having another strong year--I am glad to see that teams are staying competitive with their non-conference opponents.

What happened with Wheaton at the Phoenix tournament Clark was at? There was a note on the website saying it was travel related. Has anyone heard anything?

atn alum

I talked to their SID...will be including a note in this week's "around the nation."

Hugenerd

Tough night in the NEWMAC for 0 and 1 loss teams.  First, WPI handed CGA their first defeat 71-62.  Jim Marois had a solid game for the engineers with 26 points and 7 boards and Antoine Coleman scored 17 despite 6-16 shooting.

I was at the MIT game where MIT handled Wheaton 81-62, leading by as many as 23 in the second half.  Jimmy B had another big game with 28 points (12-20 FG), 10 rebounds and 4 steals.  Dou Soumare added 16 and 7, along with a nice dunk in the second half.  Brad Gampel had 9 assists while Dan McCue and Billy Johnson chipped in with 11 each.  I think the key for MIT was the pressure they were able to put on Wheaton's guards, especially Coppola who was held to only 6 FGA and scored only 13 points by the defensive combination of Mroz and McCue.

In other NEWMAC action, Clark beat Babson 60-52.

NortheastHoopsGuru

I cannot for the life of me figure out what to make of Babson. I have seen great results against top teams in the country, and then mediocre results like tonight at Clark. I saw them pull out a gutsy win at Lasell and really liked the way they played. Are they just wildly inconsistant or is there something i am missing?

nescac1

My impression of Babson, from seeing them in the past and what I've heard this year, is that they tend to be undersized (no starter over 6'4) without a ton of firepower (only one guy over 11 points per), but very scrappy and physical on defense so they can hang tight with teams that on paper seem to be a lot better. 

Bizarre stat on Babson: senior Kyle McDonald has hit 21 3's shooting at a 52 percent clip and is at 82 percent from the line, averaging 15.8 points per game.

For his prior three years, he shot 5-37 from 3 (13 percent), 66 percent from the line,  and averaged only 5.7 points. 

I have heard of inside players making such a huge and unexpected leap forward as seniors, but never a guard.  Whoever this kid's shot doctor was should advertise -- we may have the Buzz Bramin of D-3 on our hands. 

d3H00psFan

I was at the CGA v. WPI game last night and while WPI played very hard and aggressive, I would have to say that this was a case of CGA showing the signs of a team that was off for 1 month. 20 turnovers and giving up 22 off. rebounds and they were still tied with 5 minutes to go. Hats off to WPI for pulling out the win, but hopefully CGA can return to pre-Christmas break form and be the top team in the conference that we think they could be.

old_hooper

Northeasthoops, I too am a little surprised at the outcome last night.  Would have thought that this was a game they should have won.  Not to take anything away from Clark because this team seems to be improving every game.  Perhaps the size is an issue and how they match up against certain teams comes into play.  How in the world can they hang with a Wash U and give Amherst everything they can handle and be 3-8, really leaves you scatching your head.  Guard play makes a difference in the teams that you play and maybe it was not as big a factor last night as it was against the others mentioned.

pridefan

Newmac season starts today for Springfield vs WPI.  Here are some observations heading into newmac:

1. Balance - 4 players average double figures.  Any of the starters can hurt you on any night.

2. Defense/Rebounding - Team strength but MUST defend 3 ball better.

3. Shot Selection / Shooting % - big leads lately when disciplined, then young players take bad shots, stop passing, and they give up the lead....coaching issue! Won't publicly call out the main offender, but Pride followers know..

4.  Confidence - right now, they expect to win.

Prediction for today - close win over WPI IF they stop Marois / 3 Ball.

JustAFan

WPI over Clark by 20 this afternoon in round one of the best of DIII Worcester series.  WPI was quicker than Clark and outmuscled it inside and once the Engineers got their 3 point shooting untracked they coasted. Clark played hard, but they don't have the offensive weapons that WPI does, especially from the oustide.

pridefan

Springfield plays Babson today and it will be interesting to see whether the Pride's good team D can match what Babson did to WPI.

The Pride played good D Wed holding CGA to 55 pts and Prebeck and Johnson to 10 and 9 pts.  Looks like Babson relies on K. MacDonald so its not hard to figure out how to stop them.

With wins over Trinity, RIC, and CGA, the Pride have shown they can compete. Now they must put together a streak...starting with stopping a seemingly one man Babson team.

greybush

Kyle McDonald should be considered the frontrunner for NEWMAC player of the year. McDonald has been dominating games from the point position, not only scoring but doing his best to get others involved as well. His improved 3 point range and great ball handling skills have allowed him to fulfill his potential and take his place among the elite NEWMAC players. WPI, the conference's highest scoring team, only outscored McDonald by 7 points Wednesday night. I would not want to face Babson late in the season once they have figured it out... they have already shown they can play with anyone (tight games against Amherst and Wash U.) but have lacked consistency. Greg Bush is as talented as anyone in the league and Etten should find his groove soon. It looks like anyone can beat anyone this year and should be an interesting tournament.

nescac1

McDonald's having a great year, but I'd say it would take a major catastrophe to keep Bartlotta from claiming the player of the year in NEWMAC ...

pridefan

K. McDonald ran into a tough defender in Jamal Gibbs yesterday at Springfield.  As a team, Babson found that Springfield plays overall tough D.

While McDonald is much improved, Gibbs figured out that he pretty much only drives right. Can't put him into player of the year category based on yesterday but he's obviously very good and wasn't able to shake Gibbs.

Daly led the Pride with 21 ( also tough D ) followed by Crean with 15 - watch out for the Pride when they all get going on the same night. Anybody can hurt you depending on matchups.

Don"t judge them by the MIT game - Daly was out with flu and D makes a big difference inside which is where MIT hurt us.  Other than MIT, they've been in every game.  Looking forward to seeing Wheaton and Coppolla.