FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Thompson

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 16, 2023, 10:28:38 PM
I've watched quite a bit of both.  Whitworth seems to start slow and kick into gear after a quarter or so.  Chapman reminds me a little of Linfield in that they look really good at times and then just go flat and allow the other team back into the game.  So, I wouldn't be surprised to see chapman get a lead early and then watch it disappear as the game progresses.  I think Whitworth wins by at least 14

Good analysis.   Agree.

GT
GO CATS! GO!

Dr. Doolittle

Other than Whitworth starting strong, pretty good prediction.

olddog

Super  Pre Pre Guess

Notable, just seems like less chatter out there with recruiting in the conference, the NIL is having an affect on how SCIAC coaches are recruiting. Less spots for HS seniors across the board, so figuring out who can fit into your program is getting somewhat more difficult. The cost of living in So Cal is hurting out of state recruits too. I know it has nothing to do with policies, taxes, giving away an 1/3 of your GDP, low crime rates, etc...all make CA more attractive,...I will be like your wife...I told you so...

Its very hard to factor in Seniors and if coming back given the soft NCAA rules of allowing 30 years olds to play due to the virus.

1) Chapman, my respect for Owens grows every year. His squads always have the better skill players. They recruit players and do not get caught up in their size. They are the smallest team in the league but battle for first, slow start last year and keeping it together is leadership.

2nd Tie...UR and CMS

UR, some O linemen back and plus our QB is healthy ...Defense will need to be re built but in the past we have always put a solid defense on the field.

CMS, losing a lot of plays seniors and GR, They do very well recruiting given their national footprint, and the type of assistance they can offer (Free college)...Program is impressive given facilities etc..I expect CMS to be at the top for years to come.

4) PP, losing a lot of guys too like CMS, PP trying to mirror CMS national approach, a little easier getting kids into Pomona than the CMS schools. Clearly committed to athletics with ongoing up grades

5) CLU, School has lost a lot of cache around So Cal...despite the Rams etc...Very average staff and clearly the Libs took over and are not committed to male athletics.

6) LV, do they have the funds to keep playing, my concern. I really do not get them, they could be so much better...recruiting some the local talent...given Whittier is gone

California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

Gray Fox

The ASC is getting smaller.  There was some talk of them being part of the Coast-To-Coast Conference. Maybe that will be some kind of option for the SCIAC. 
Fierce When Roused

olddog

No chance SCIAC join up with Texas schools, I dont think folks understand the financial issues schools faces some schools faces, throw in CU and Oxy will only spend so much...not in our lifetime.

The real issue is what will happen to D3 Sports, when Power 5 have to make FB and BB players employees. Blows up all the Title 9 deficit sports. Going to be a mess.

wally_wabash

Quote from: olddog on February 28, 2024, 11:29:30 AM4) PP, losing a lot of guys too like CMS, PP trying to mirror CMS national approach, a little easier getting kids into Pomona than the CMS schools. Clearly committed to athletics with ongoing up grades

This is objectively false and you can look up acceptance rates on your own.  Pomona is the most selective school within the consortium.  My sense is when you combine admissions from Pomona and Pitzer, and then do the same with CMC and Mudd (Scripps is a non-factor for football), it's more or less a wash. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

olddog

Pomona is the easiest of the schools to get into, now that said it is still harder than getting into CU or UR for sure, last time I checked Pomona College is where most of the good athletes were enrolled. Do you have any info that is different? I welcome it an update on my info ...Thanks...I am just talking FB too

wally_wabash

Quote from: olddog on February 29, 2024, 05:27:38 PMPomona is the easiest of the schools to get into, now that said it is still harder than getting into CU or UR for sure, last time I checked Pomona College is where most of the good athletes were enrolled. Do you have any info that is different? I welcome it an update on my info ...Thanks...I am just talking FB too

Again, this is objectively false by acceptance rate statistics that are reported absolutely everywhere you might want to go to find them. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Dr. Doolittle

Pitzer is easier than Pomona, CMS, or Scrips when it comes to acceptance.  But all four are more difficult or selective academically, than any other SCIAC football school by a long shot, with Chapman being closest.

olddog

Wally, not all of life is learn on your pc...All I know, any kid with pretty good grades, the Sagehens try to see if they could get him or her into Pomona....So I don't know where that would show up in your on your PC.

Kuiper

Quote from: olddog on March 04, 2024, 11:51:21 AMWally, not all of life is learn on your pc...All I know, any kid with pretty good grades, the Sagehens try to see if they could get him or her into Pomona....So I don't know where that would show up in your on your PC.

I think you're confusing number of students on the roster with ease of admissions in terms of GPA and other credentials for admissions. Pomona College's student body is the largest of all the Claremont schools, probably twice as large as Mudd and almost that much larger than Pitzer.  So, a coach can expect more students to be admitted to Pomona than Pitzer, because there are a lot more slots available in any class for Pomona students than Pitzer students.  Therefore, it's not surprising that on the 2023 football roster 56 students were from Pomona and 30 from Pitzer (plus 2 Claremont Graduate students using a Covid year). 

Claremont is also much larger than Mudd, which is the smallest of the Claremont schools, although the difference is far less than the difference between Pomona and Pitzer because Claremont is about 400 fewer students than Pomona while Mudd is only maybe 100 or so fewer than Pitzer.  So, it's a bit more revealing that Mudd only has 11 students on the football roster and Claremont has 70.  In other words, it's either much easier to get kids into Claremont than Mudd or fewer students interested in Mudd are interested in football or can fit it into their schedule.

olddog

Kuiper, thanks...spoke to some past athletes, they told me basically what you said about Claremont and Pomona schools. One funny comment was the personalities at the different schools, I will leave it at that...