FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bulk19 on February 19, 2014, 11:37:26 PM
I'd suggest the younger generations with the cell phones in their faces ought to try to put them down for three hours and experience the world around you. You might be amazed at what is happening outside that little black screen...

That's a fine sentiment but not a way to encourage kids to come to the game. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Just Bill

Mark Cuban wrote a really interesting blog piece this week on this very topic...

http://blogmaverick.com/2014/02/23/my-2-cents-on-sports-marketing-and-what-i-learned-from-smu-basketball-this-week/

His premise is that while some want to be fully connected with social media and statistics at an event, most people are checking their phones because they are bored, and that's what they do when they are bored. Cuban believes it's up to the team/school to provide enough fun and entertainment, so people are fully engaged and not reaching for their phone at every down moment.

He's speaking from a professional/major college perspective, but I think he's right on a lot of points. It's well worth your time to read.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

emma17

Quote from: Just Bill on February 24, 2014, 10:03:06 AM
Mark Cuban wrote a really interesting blog piece this week on this very topic...

http://blogmaverick.com/2014/02/23/my-2-cents-on-sports-marketing-and-what-i-learned-from-smu-basketball-this-week/

His premise is that while some want to be fully connected with social media and statistics at an event, most people are checking their phones because they are bored, and that's what they do when they are bored. Cuban believes it's up to the team/school to provide enough fun and entertainment, so people are fully engaged and not reaching for their phone at every down moment.

His speaking from a professional/major college perspective, but I think he's right on a lot of points. It's well worth your time to read.

Good article, thanks for sharing JB.
It's hard to argue Cuban's point. Give the fans reason to put their phones down.   

bleedpurple

Just wanted to say hi to my WIAC football friends.  Warhawk Nation has been vacationing in Ohio the last couple of weeks. We expect them back soon.  ;)

02 Warhawk

Quote from: bleedpurple on March 05, 2014, 11:27:05 AM
Just wanted to say hi to my WIAC football friends.  Warhawk Nation has been vacationing in Ohio the last couple of weeks. We expect them back soon.  ;)

The Warhawk Nation can afford vacations once in awhile, because our tuition is so cheap.  ;D

WarhawkDad

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on March 05, 2014, 11:35:03 AM

The Warhawk Nation can afford vacations once in awhile, because our tuition is so cheap.  ;D
LOL!  I was trying to warm up Ohio by visiting the OAC Board.   

WHD
Six Time National Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014

2013  WIAC PICKEM CHAMPION

"Pound The Rock!!!"

bleedpurple

And with thousands and thousands of kids on campus, no one even knows we are gone!  ;)

emma17

Quote from: bleedpurple on March 05, 2014, 08:41:58 PM

And with thousands and thousands of kids on campus, no one even knows we are gone!  ;)

Or cares.  :D

footballfan413

Quote from: emma17 on March 06, 2014, 11:31:17 AM

Ok, back from a long, enjoyable visit to Ohio.  What shall we talk about?  The weather?  Too depressing.  Beer and ice fishing?  Don't do either.  Next season?  Too far off and, currently, an informational dead zone.  Sorry, I got nothing.   :(

Now, if someone comes on here and says, "you didn't win the game as much as we lost it,"  or "UWW is only successful because they are a big, bad public school with cheap tuition and low standards,"  I will be happy to light up the WIAC board.................. :D ;D 8-)

"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

emma17

Quote from: footballfan413 on March 07, 2014, 09:27:08 AM

Ok, back from a long, enjoyable visit to Ohio.  What shall we talk about?  The weather?  Too depressing.  Beer and ice fishing?  Don't do either.  Next season?  Too far off and, currently, an informational dead zone.  Sorry, I got nothing.   :(

Now, if someone comes on here and says, "you didn't win the game as much as we lost it,"  or "UWW is only successful because they are a big, bad public school with cheap tuition and low standards,"  I will be happy to light up the WIAC board.................. :D ;D 8-)

Does anybody have a problem w the Bears letting Hester go?

Who was better- UMHB or Linfield?

D3MAFAN

Quote from: emma17 on March 07, 2014, 11:35:09 AM

The team in purple.

02 Warhawk

As a Bears fan, I really don't. At 31, I'm not sure he's still the player opposing coaches feared each week. I think the Bears would keep him if he could play Corner or WR....but he can't. 

UMHB or Linfeld....very tough one. I can't say for cetain, but I might lean towards UMHB....but not by much.

badgerwarhawk

No, I don't have any problem with it at all.  Actually I think they should have done it years ago. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on March 07, 2014, 01:18:57 PM

No, I don't have any problem with it at all.  Actually I think they should have done it years ago.

Hold on, was there supposed to be a smiley or wink with this?