FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 12, 2017, 01:45:56 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on July 11, 2017, 11:25:39 PM
Quote from: emma17 on July 11, 2017, 11:32:35 AM
Glad to see the Top 25 out. I don't recall if this preseason list is based on the thorough study the D3 folks do for Kickoff, anybody know?

In the top 15, there are five conferences w 2 or more teams.

I'm guessing there is nothing distributed to voters by D3 football.com. However, some voters probably do some research as to expected returning starters,etc.

We in fact distribute a spreadsheet with a significant information about returning starters and the like every year. We know the voters don't all have the resources available to do that kind of research for themselves.

Sorry Pat, I just listened to the podcast, which did address my question.
Excellent podcast, I enjoy the interviews w a variety of schools. The interview with the head coach from Luther was especially interesting as I've always been a fan of the old school option.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on July 12, 2017, 09:05:30 AM

We in fact distribute a spreadsheet with a significant information about returning starters and the like every year. We know the voters don't all have the resources available to do that kind of research for themselves.

I'm curious, and I'm sorry if you've answered this elsewhere, but I can't recall. What's your definition for starter? Is there a minimum number of starts you have to make?

We ask schools to consider only players who started 50% or more of the games at a spot as the starter for purposes of this report.

(I suppose if multiple people started and nobody started half the games, we'd want whoever started the most or started at the end of the season.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: emma17 on July 13, 2017, 02:13:03 PM
Excellent podcast, I enjoy the interviews w a variety of schools. The interview with the head coach from Luther was especially interesting as I've always been a fan of the old school option.

Thanks. I always enjoy these as well -- I wish we could do more of this during the regular season as well. Keith and I have talked about a second podcast each week during the regular season that does this but we just don't have the time -- neither me to schedule interviews with coaches, nor he and I to have a second recording session together.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Just the stats

Quote from: emma17 on July 13, 2017, 02:13:03 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on July 11, 2017, 11:25:39 PM
Quote from: emma17 on July 11, 2017, 11:32:35 AM
Glad to see the Top 25 out. I don't recall if this preseason list is based on the thorough study the D3 folks do for Kickoff, anybody know?

In the top 15, there are five conferences w 2 or more teams.

I'm guessing there is nothing distributed to voters by D3 football.com. However, some voters probably do some research as to expected returning starters,etc.

A pet peeve of mine is the number of letter winners each school lists because there is no uniform system for earning letters. At some schools, everyone on the roster letters, others have to reach certain playing milestones, etc. So when I read about 50 lettermen returning, that really doesn't mean much to me.

palum

According to the 7/18 WI State Journal walk-on linebacker Max Praschak from Somerset is transferring to UW-RF. I did not say if he will be playing football but one would assume he will follow in both his parents footsteps who were Falcon athletes.   

emma17

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Alex Peete does at running back for UWW. Below are quotes taken from a Northwest Herald article about the high school team Peete played on last year that made it to the 4A state championship (IL has 8 football divisions).

QuoteTen out of 11 starters on the Skyhawks' offense that played in that championship game are no longer on the team, including all-state running back and Wisconsin-Whitewater freshman Alex Peete, but the 2017 team hasn't lost any confidence heading into the season as the Class 4A runner-up.
QuoteOn the ground, Peete had 39 touchdowns and 2,529 yards, finishing eighth on the IHSA all-time rushing list with 6,071 yards. You can't replace a kid like that," third-year Johnsburg coach Dan DeBoeuf said of Peete. "As good of a player as he was, what made him so special was how good of a teammate and hard worker he was. I think he set the precedent for our other backs, and they know what it takes to be that successful

Sakman 1111

Peete from a smaller school but a very talented back...similar to Coppage...Saw him play in the championship for 4A...From what is reported currently there are some talented players from from Illinois coming to UWW...Hope they all show at camp next month...Pound the Rock...

BoBo

Quote from: emma17 on July 18, 2017, 02:56:45 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Alex Peete does at running back for UWW. Below are quotes taken from a Northwest Herald article about the high school team Peete played on last year that made it to the 4A state championship (IL has 8 football divisions).

QuoteTen out of 11 starters on the Skyhawks' offense that played in that championship game are no longer on the team, including all-state running back and Wisconsin-Whitewater freshman Alex Peete, but the 2017 team hasn't lost any confidence heading into the season as the Class 4A runner-up.
QuoteOn the ground, Peete had 39 touchdowns and 2,529 yards, finishing eighth on the IHSA all-time rushing list with 6,071 yards. You can't replace a kid like that," third-year Johnsburg coach Dan DeBoeuf said of Peete. "As good of a player as he was, what made him so special was how good of a teammate and hard worker he was. I think he set the precedent for our other backs, and they know what it takes to be that successful

So, he goes from being a Skyhawk, to a Warhawk. As the saying goes, once a Hawk always a hawk.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

emma17

Quote from: Sakman 1111 on July 19, 2017, 02:27:00 PM
Peete from a smaller school but a very talented back...similar to Coppage...Saw him play in the championship for 4A...From what is reported currently there are some talented players from from Illinois coming to UWW...Hope they all show at camp next month...Pound the Rock...

Glad to hear it. Hopefully there won't be any change of mind, buyer's remorse events. That scenario always reminds me of the Al Pacino scene from the movie Glengary Glen ross. Al (Ricky) goes berserk when a couple changes their minds the next day after he worked so hard to close them.

palum

Former WW wide receiver Ricky Finco has left the Badger football program according to the WSJ. Sounds like he will be staying in school at Madison.

badgerwarhawk

The BADGERS added six scholarship wide receivers this year.  Finco was one of two walk on wide receivers who left the program.  Though the other, Henry Houden, who was the scout team player of the year in his freshman season (2015) has had multiple injuries since.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

badgerwarhawk

Two WIAC athletes named to D3football.com Preseason All American team:

Nate Trewyn: UW-WHITEWATER - second team OL
Drew Pearson: UW-Stout - first team K

http://www.d3football.com/awards/all-americans/2017-preseason

02 Warhawk

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on August 01, 2017, 03:39:08 PM
Two WIAC athletes named to D3football.com Preseason All American team:

Nate Trewyn: UW-WHITEWATER - second team OL
Drew Pearson: UW-Stout - first team K

http://www.d3football.com/awards/all-americans/2017-preseason

Odd to see so few UWW and/or Mount Union players on that list. The times are a changin?!?!

badgerwarhawk

I thought the same thing Tim. 

Let's wait until the post season All Americans are named and see if they've changed all that much. 

emma17

Given the opening four-game schedule for UWW, I think the D3 community will know very quickly the level of individual talent and the team's capabilities.
I have to believe there is a whole different atmosphere around the Perk these days.