FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KitchenSink

Milw Journal Sentinel commitments listing:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/area-college-signings-b99199083z1-243889821.html

DIVISION III

Nate Berg, OL, South Milwaukee, UW-La Crosse;
Antoine Bounds, LB-RB, Milwaukee Riverside, UW-Whitewater;
Saquan Dowery, RB, Milwaukee King, UW-Whitewater;
Riley Fragosso, OL, Greendale, UW-Oshkosh;
Nick Hall, DB, Lake Geneva Badger, UW-Platteville;
Kyle Herdt, LB, Lake Country Lutheran, UW-Stevens Point;
Hunter Higginbotham, OL, Germantown, UW-Whitewater;
Gabe Kaliebe, DB, Greendale, Wisconsin Lutheran;
Tyler Kirkeeng, OL-DL, Burlington, UW-Oshkosh;
Lucas Luedtke, WR, St. Thomas More, UW-Whitewater;
Brandon Matz, QB, East Troy, Dubuque;
Larry Meeks, RB-LB, Burlington, Wisconsin Lutheran;
Mike Meves, LB, Brookfield Central, UW-Stout;
Peter Mitchell, DL, Oak Creek, UW-Whitewater;
Sam Osterberg, TE, Slinger, UW-La Crosse;
Justin Pegg, LB, Brookfield Central, Norwich University;
Ricardo Ramos, OL-DL, Milwaukee Riverside, UW-Whitewater;
Drew Rhodes, WR-DB, Waukesha West, UW-La Crosse;
Chris Runjo, OL-DL, Burlington, UW-Whitewater;
Jordan Strong, QB, Oak Creek, UW-Stevens Point;
Alex Teich, RB-DB, Grafton, UW-Platteville;
Jake Zywicki, RB, Greendale, UW-Oshkosh.
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

retagent

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 05, 2014, 10:54:44 AM
Quote from: D3MAFAN on February 04, 2014, 04:34:02 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on February 04, 2014, 03:50:45 PM
Quote from: retagent on February 04, 2014, 03:47:40 PM
Didn't one of the position coaches in the Super Bowl have a UWW connection? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Eric Studesville, running backs coach for the Denver Broncos.

Played DB at UWW.

I think I saw something regarding Seattle's Defense coordinator played for Salisbury as well.

Still the lead story on D3football.com, in fact.

As linked in the MIAC Board, the GM for Seattle is a St Thomas grad, and his Asst is a Johnnie.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: retagent on February 06, 2014, 09:36:41 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 05, 2014, 10:54:44 AM
Quote from: D3MAFAN on February 04, 2014, 04:34:02 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on February 04, 2014, 03:50:45 PM
Quote from: retagent on February 04, 2014, 03:47:40 PM
Didn't one of the position coaches in the Super Bowl have a UWW connection? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Eric Studesville, running backs coach for the Denver Broncos.

Played DB at UWW.

I think I saw something regarding Seattle's Defense coordinator played for Salisbury as well.

Still the lead story on D3football.com, in fact.

As linked in the MIAC Board, the GM for Seattle is a St Thomas grad, and his Asst is a Johnnie.

And that link is also on our lead story. As are a couple of pieces on Steven Hauschka, the Middlebury grad who kicks for Seattle.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

Quote from: KitchenSink on February 06, 2014, 09:26:27 AM
Milw Journal Sentinel commitments listing:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/area-college-signings-b99199083z1-243889821.html

DIVISION III

Nate Berg, OL, South Milwaukee, UW-La Crosse;
Antoine Bounds, LB-RB, Milwaukee Riverside, UW-Whitewater;
Saquan Dowery, RB, Milwaukee King, UW-Whitewater;
Riley Fragosso, OL, Greendale, UW-Oshkosh;
Nick Hall, DB, Lake Geneva Badger, UW-Platteville;
Kyle Herdt, LB, Lake Country Lutheran, UW-Stevens Point;
Hunter Higginbotham, OL, Germantown, UW-Whitewater;
Gabe Kaliebe, DB, Greendale, Wisconsin Lutheran;
Tyler Kirkeeng, OL-DL, Burlington, UW-Oshkosh;
Lucas Luedtke, WR, St. Thomas More, UW-Whitewater;
Brandon Matz, QB, East Troy, Dubuque;
Larry Meeks, RB-LB, Burlington, Wisconsin Lutheran;
Mike Meves, LB, Brookfield Central, UW-Stout;
Peter Mitchell, DL, Oak Creek, UW-Whitewater;
Sam Osterberg, TE, Slinger, UW-La Crosse;
Justin Pegg, LB, Brookfield Central, Norwich University;
Ricardo Ramos, OL-DL, Milwaukee Riverside, UW-Whitewater;
Drew Rhodes, WR-DB, Waukesha West, UW-La Crosse;
Chris Runjo, OL-DL, Burlington, UW-Whitewater;
Jordan Strong, QB, Oak Creek, UW-Stevens Point;
Alex Teich, RB-DB, Grafton, UW-Platteville;
Jake Zywicki, RB, Greendale, UW-Oshkosh.

Good info Kitchen- thanks.
I see one familiar last name for a possible former player's son- Higgenbothem. The Higgenbothem I knew was a fine kicker.

MasterJedi

Oshkosh got a good RB for their style of offense in Jake Zywicki. If he works hard I'm sure he can be a very good RB. Against UWW style defense though I don't think he'd be able to perform too well though, he was stymied against teams that had good, big lines.

I'll also be cautiously optimistic about Ryan Curran as well. I like to see QB's that play for more then one season so I'm hoping Behrendt's successor in 2015? I'd love to see a three year QB, obviously as long as he can prove that he's better then every other QB on the roster.

bleedpurple

Quote from: MasterJedi on February 08, 2014, 09:47:39 AM
Oshkosh got a good RB for their style of offense in Jake Zywicki. If he works hard I'm sure he can be a very good RB. Against UWW style defense though I don't think he'd be able to perform too well though, he was stymied against teams that had good, big lines.

I'll also be cautiously optimistic about Ryan Curran as well. I like to see QB's that play for more then one season so I'm hoping Behrendt's successor in 2015? I'd love to see a three year QB, obviously as long as he can prove that he's better then every other QB on the roster.

I'm really intrigued by the Luedtke kid (WR Thomas More HS). I think I read he has played only one year of HS football and he jumps off the screen a bit when watching video of him.  He seems to have an extra gear after the catch. Also, defensively, he has a good break on the ball, especially if he really has played only one year of football. Makes me think he is an athlete with really high upside.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: MasterJedi on February 08, 2014, 09:47:39 AM

As it stand today Chris Nelson is Behrendt's successor.  Not to say that won't change but that's where it's at right now.  Personally I really like Nelson.  He had a great career at Wilmont High School and was a D2 level QB (Northern Michigan, I think).  He throws a tight spiral and had a big arm.  He's represented himself well in the playing time that he's gotten this past season.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

KitchenSink

Eau Claire and Stout have their 2014 schedules up on their websites.

EC has a vigorous non-conf schedule (at St Thomas, St John's, at Wheaton)

Stout has at Dakota Wesleyan, Loras, at Wartburg.

Platteville and River Falls had theirs out before.  With 4 schools posted, the conference schedule is verified as 2013 with home/away flipped.
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

emma17

This is a meaningless bit of info but I found it interesting nevertheless.
UWW's last three opponents (Linfield, UMHB and Mt) all faced similar decisions to go for it on 4th or kick a field goal at important points in the game. All called timeouts and two of the three resulting plays failed and the other (UMHB) failed to accomplish the main goal.

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on February 12, 2014, 02:01:00 PM
UWW's last three opponents (Linfield, UMHB and Mt) all faced similar decisions to go for it on 4th or kick a field goal at important points in the game. All called timeouts and two of the three resulting plays failed and the other (UMHB) failed to accomplish the main goal.

As you imply, this is anecdotal evidence as best, but it could be reflective of the growing perception of UW-W's program (2012 notwithstanding).  For awhile now, it has seemed to me like most teams over the past 6 or 7 years give UW-W their best shot (which is pretty understandable). Over the same time span (and longer), it has seemed like a disproportionate number of teams played Mount Union and, to say the least, DIDN'T give them their best shot.  I think some of the Mount folks like to use a term involving urine for that phenomenon. :)

Anyway, could UW-W be rising to the level that teams get so amped up to play them, they tend to choke in key moments? I remember watching a game on TV (my failing memory doesn't allow me to mention the teams) and the color guy actually gave credit to one of the teams for "unforced errors" against them. He said, "Teams feel so much pressure playing against them that they make mistakes they don't make against anyone else". I don't know if there is anything to it or not, but it would sure be a nice advantage for anyone who could get it!

emma17

Quote from: bleedpurple on February 13, 2014, 11:52:24 AM
Quote from: emma17 on February 12, 2014, 02:01:00 PM

As you imply, this is anecdotal evidence as best, but it could be reflective of the growing perception of UW-W's program (2012 notwithstanding).  For awhile now, it has seemed to me like most teams over the past 6 or 7 years give UW-W their best shot (which is pretty understandable). Over the same time span (and longer), it has seemed like a disproportionate number of teams played Mount Union and, to say the least, DIDN'T give them their best shot.  I think some of the Mount folks like to use a term involving urine for that phenomenon. :)

Anyway, could UW-W be rising to the level that teams get so amped up to play them, they tend to choke in key moments? I remember watching a game on TV (my failing memory doesn't allow me to mention the teams) and the color guy actually gave credit to one of the teams for "unforced errors" against them. He said, "Teams feel so much pressure playing against them that they make mistakes they don't make against anyone else". I don't know if there is anything to it or not, but it would sure be a nice advantage for anyone who could get it!

Absolutely it's possible teams make unforced errors due to the pressure they feel against certain opponents- or big games in general.
Along these lines, the UMHB coach took some heat for calling a time out and deciding on kicking a field goal. However, he was also aware that just the week previous Linfield was in a very similar position- and rather than opting for the easy 3 points, went for a first down. An unforced error on snap resulted in 0 points and UWW ball.

Fast forward to the Stagg. VK has to make the same decision as the previous two coaches. He knows the results of their decisions and he knows the mindset of his players. How it all ahead into his decisions we won't know, but the result was bad.

And another point, the whole timeout thing before a 4th down decision.
I'd like to see a stat on success rates of going for it after timeout vs going for it in flow of the game.
Both UMHB and Mt had drive momentum before their 4 th down timeouts.
A timeout seems like it could take a kid out of a zone and give him too much time to think about the situation/opponent. It can also give a coach a chance to out-think himself.

That's a bit adrift of your point, but I believe there is a tie-in of it all. It's mindset.

HScoach

Good point.   I hate calling a timeout if my offense is in a rhythm.   Calling the TO just gives the defense a chance to re-group.   A good play caller is thinking multiple plays ahead and thinking down many potential paths at the same time.   Which is why I think defensive play calling is more analytical, offensive play calling is more artistic.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Just Bill

I was told this once by a coach and makes great sense. He said, "Good play callers have a sequence in mind if their plays work. Great play callers have multiple sequences in mind both for plays that work and for plays that don't work."

Coaches always want to believe every play will work as expected, but really good coaches aren't shocked when they don't. I think you can see quality when you see how an O.C. reacts after a play fails. Great ones already have a plan in mind because they were ready for failure. Good ones have to scramble because they thought the last play would work.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

bleedpurple

I agree with each of the last 3 posts. And I think Emma's point about a coach out-thinking himself came into play in both the UMHB game and the Mount game. (I don't even remember the Linfield situation you speak of).  Easy to say after the fact but IMO, both the Cru and the Purple Raiders made the wrong decision and did out-think themselves. The Cru really needed a TD and the Purple Raiders really needed points. I am in HSCoach's camp in hating timeouts when the offense is on a roll.

On a slightly different note, I think many people (think of those fans screaming for a team to "go for it") have a skewed perspective of profit/loss when it comes to "going for it" on 4th down. Generally speaking, I see it as a greater opportunity for the defense than it is for the offense. Stop a team on fourth down and you have the ball, you have momentum, and you have a defense feeling awesome about themselves.  Offensively, you get a first down and you still have the ball with a chance for a TD, but you still have not put any points on the board. Obviously there is a time and place to go for it, but I believe it is a greater opportunity for the defense than the offense.

emma17

Quote from: bleedpurple on February 13, 2014, 04:47:40 PM
I agree with each of the last 3 posts. And I think Emma's point about a coach out-thinking himself came into play in both the UMHB game and the Mount game. (I don't even remember the Linfield situation you speak of).  Easy to say after the fact but IMO, both the Cru and the Purple Raiders made the wrong decision and did out-think themselves. The Cru really needed a TD and the Purple Raiders really needed points. I am in HSCoach's camp in hating timeouts when the offense is on a roll.

On a slightly different note, I think many people (think of those fans screaming for a team to "go for it") have a skewed perspective of profit/loss when it comes to "going for it" on 4th down. Generally speaking, I see it as a greater opportunity for the defense than it is for the offense. Stop a team on fourth down and you have the ball, you have momentum, and you have a defense feeling awesome about themselves.  Offensively, you get a first down and you still have the ball with a chance for a TD, but you still have not put any points on the board. Obviously there is a time and place to go for it, but I believe it is a greater opportunity for the defense than the offense.

The reason I remember Linfield is because I've been listening to the replay- I need a life.
The play happened after the fumbled kick return early first quarter.
Interestingly UWW faced a fourth down on the third quarter drive they took the lead on. No time out before the play. Same thing in the Stagg on second TD drive I believe- went for it on 4 th and no time out. Both situations the O was rolling.