MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightSlappy

MIAA Tournament so far:

Trine @ Hope

If Adrian wins tonight they'll play @ Calvin.
If Adrian loses tonight they'll play @ Olivet on Tuesday with the winner playing @ Calvin on Thursday.

Titan Q

In case you want to get at look at the two PrAC teams ranked ahead of Calvin...

http://www.pacstream.net

St. Vincent 64
Thomas More 59

6:00 left

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Titan Q on February 16, 2013, 05:45:29 PM

St. Vincent 64
Thomas More 59

Looks to me like Hope will be ranked next week if Thomas More wins this game.

Titan Q

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 16, 2013, 05:48:05 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on February 16, 2013, 05:45:29 PM

St. Vincent 64
Thomas More 59

Looks to me like Hope will be ranked next week if Thomas More wins this game.

So much rides on such subtle stuff like this.

oldknight

A workmanlike 86-60 win for Calvin over a game Olivet squad. To their credit, the Comets didn't cash in the results, playing hard to the end and forcing the home team to play well in order to pull away. DaunTrell Hill is a pretty nice player--wouldn't mind having him on my team. On senior day, the Knights were led by underclassmen with Tyler Dykstra, Tyler Kruis and Mickey DeVries carrying the load. I thought this may have been the best all around game for Dykstra in maroon and gold as he scored 14 (with two dunks) grabbed six boards and played his usual long-arm defense on the interior. He looked as confident and assertive as I've ever seen him and if that trend continues, he can make Calvin a really tough matchup in the post-season.

Quite honestly none of the four seniors stood out except for Matt DeBoer who in a mere 9 minutes scored 8, dished 3 assists and collared 8 boards, including an amazing 6 on the offensive glass. Snikkers had his second straight game of indifference getting two more turnovers (7) than points (5). If Tom gets the MVP award this year he is limping home because this was a miserable weak for him. After going 0-7 in the second half Wednesday, Snik missed all four shots he took the first half this afternoon, an 0-11 run that didn't end until he scored his first points on a triple at the 12:30 mark of the game. He could have taken a Carribean cruise this week and his contributions wouldn't have been missed. With most of the team playing well today, it made no difference but Calvin really needs Tom to return to the stellar play we saw from him most of the season if the Knights expect to do some damage in the post-season.

Calvin finished the regular season 22-3 and I honestly don't think you could ask for much more from this group record wise. This team has the potential to beat anyone but the question that remains unanswered is whether they can go on an extended run of good play. Calvin had better win out next week because I have no confidence that a Pool C bid will come their way if they don't.

almcguirejr

ziggy

If there is to be a shakeup in the GL region rankings it will be this week. Wooster lost today and St. Vincent is finishing off Thomas More in overtime.

With the field seemingly shrinking closer together, this would seem to be Calvin's best shot at standing out. However, since they are starting behind St. Vincent who will add a win vs. regionally ranked, it's hard to see how the picture has changed enough for them to get where the majority of observers believe they should be.

sac

Hope 81 Trine 72

Really well played game down in Angola.  Hope just a little better all around and did a nice job containing Ian Jackson.  Scott Rogers played some for Trine but clearly still not 100% from the flu, Todd Watkins played a pretty unbelievable game in his place.

Gardner led Hope with 19, I don't know the rest but Snuggerud and Benson were close to double-digits and probably over.

Congrats to Calvin on winning the MIAA Championship.

calvinite

Quote from: oldknight on February 16, 2013, 05:51:46 PM
I thought this may have been the best all around game for Dykstra in maroon and gold as he scored 14 (with two dunks) grabbed six boards and played his usual long-arm defense on the interior. He looked as confident and assertive as I've ever seen him and if that trend continues, he can make Calvin a really tough matchup in the post-season.

Agreed that Dykstra played great, and I'm fairly certain he had three dunks -- two in the first half and one in the 2nd half although the 2nd half dunk didn't have much emphasis -- more of a one handed, this-is-too-easy-type dunk.

I think Reidema also did a decent job representing the seniors, though (2 pts, 1 assist, 1 nice block, 2 steals (one nice), lots of energy, and, most importantly, he was able to return to the game after apparently turning an ankle). Certainly not his best game or anything, but I thought a solid performance).
Knights!

"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university."
― Albert Einstein

almcguirejr

Adrian 60
Albion 51

Final

almcguirejr

Quote from: sac on February 16, 2013, 06:48:58 PM
Hope 81 Trine 72

Really well played game down in Angola.  Hope just a little better all around and did a nice job containing Ian Jackson.  Scott Rogers played some for Trine but clearly still not 100% from the flu, Todd Watkins played a pretty unbelievable game in his place.

Gardner led Hope with 19, I don't know the rest but Snuggerud and Benson were close to double-digits and probably over.

Congrats to Calvin on winning the MIAA Championship.

Hope shoots 29-39 from the line.  They were 21-26 in the second half.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: almcguirejr on February 16, 2013, 07:09:49 PM
Adrian 60
Albion 51

Final

Adrian's win puts them at 7-7 in a tie with Trine. Trine wins the tiebreaker due to not losing to Kalamazoo.

so it's Trine @ Hope and Adrian @ Calvin on Thursday

Tiebreaker should be that the #1 seed gets to pick their opponent. I'm 99.99999999999999% confident that KVS would rather see the Thunder come to Van Noord than the Bulldogs.

oldknight

Quote from: calvinite on February 16, 2013, 07:07:58 PM

Agreed that Dykstra played great, and I'm fairly certain he had three dunks -- two in the first half and one in the 2nd half although the 2nd half dunks didn't have much emphasis -- more of a one handed, this-is-too-easy-type dunk.

I think Reidema also did a decent job representing the seniors, though (2 pts, 1 assist, 1 nice block, 2 steals (one nice), lots of energy, and, most importantly, he was able to return to the game after apparently turning an ankle). Certainly not his best game or anything, but I thought a solid performance).

You're right about Dykstra. I had forgotten about what was essentially a baby dunk during the second half. Just remember, I'm old and the short term memory is going the way of all flesh.

You're also right about Rietema. He's easy to underrate because he almost never shoots more than 2-3 times a game. But he's good at dribble penetration to break down defenses and that's the kind of stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the half time ceremony featuring Calvin's only undefeated team, the 1960-61 squad that finished 20-0. Eight members showed up including Ralph Honderd, Warren Otte and Bill Wolterstorff. This Calvin team was the first one I ever saw play and at the time, Otte roomed in an upstairs apartment behind my parents' Grand Rapids southeast side home. I remember my excitement at going to watch--a night game well past my normal bedtime. Wolterstorff--the starting center on that team--is hardly remembered today but I believe he was only the second Calvin player to score 1000 points. Knights watchers even older than me believe he belongs on the list of Calvin's great players. My short term memory might be departing, but the long term is still going strong.

maroonandgold

QuoteAdrian's win puts them at 7-7 in a tie with Trine. Trine wins the tiebreaker due to not losing to Kalamazoo.
[/color]

Why does not losing to Kalamazoo make the difference?  Are they a lower rated team than any that defeated Adrian?  I thought Adrian recently lost to Albion, which ended lower on the league standings.  How does that work?

almcguirejr

Quote from: oldknight on February 16, 2013, 07:59:06 PM
Quote from: calvinite on February 16, 2013, 07:07:58 PM

Agreed that Dykstra played great, and I'm fairly certain he had three dunks -- two in the first half and one in the 2nd half although the 2nd half dunks didn't have much emphasis -- more of a one handed, this-is-too-easy-type dunk.

You're right about Dykstra. I had forgotten about what was essentially a baby dunk during the second half. Just remember, I'm old and the short term memory is going the way of all flesh.

You're also right about Rietema. He's easy to underrate because he almost never shoots more than 2-3 times a game. But he's good at dribble penetration to break down defenses and that's the kind of stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the half time ceremony featuring Calvin's only undefeated team, the 1960-61 squad that finished 20-0. Eight members showed up including Ralph Honderd, Warren Otte and Bill Wolterstorff. This Calvin team was the first one I ever saw play and at the time, Otte roomed in an upstairs apartment behind my parents' Grand Rapids southeast side home. I remember my excitement at going to watch--a night game well past my normal bedtime. Wolterstorff--the starting center on that team--is hardly remembered today but I believe he was only the second Calvin player to score 1000 points. Knights watchers even older than me believe he belongs on the list of Calvin's great players. My short term memory might be departing, but the long term is still going strong.

Jeff Febus had a great article in today's program about the 1960-61 team:

http://www.calvin.edu/sports/news/comments/the-story-of-the-undefeated-calvins-1960-61-mens-basketball-team/