FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUC57

As a Mount Union alumnus and fan, I don't really know very much about the Oxidental plight. Just read the post by RFB. Doesn't sound very promising for the Oxy program.
Sure hate to see a school eliminate the football portion of athletics. Seems like an almost necessary part of college life. I'll be following the events at Oxy over the coming months. Good luck! Hope everything works out! ☠🏈🇷🇴

By the way, I didn't play football. But what a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon in the fall, watching your team play!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

olddog

Quote from: MUC57 on April 13, 2018, 11:27:03 AM
As a Mount Union alumnus and fan, I don't really know very much about the Oxidental plight. Just read the post by RFB. Doesn't sound very promising for the Oxy program.
Sure hate to see a school eliminate the football portion of athletics. Seems like an almost necessary part of college life. I'll be following the events at Oxy over the coming months. Good luck! Hope everything works out! ☠🏈🇷🇴

By the way, I didn't play football. But what a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon in the fall, watching your team play!

What has happen at Oxy is a reflection of colleges in CA....I might be dead when this prediction becomes true, but current Oxy admin behavior is biting off the hand that feeds them. Go study how past Cal or UCLA alums donate versus their more conservative alumni from generations past.
RFB is correct, Oxy is loaded, this is a greater agenda..
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

Oxy1995

Quote from: RFB on April 13, 2018, 10:57:22 AM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 12, 2018, 06:28:34 PM
Quote from: OxyBob on April 12, 2018, 05:53:26 PM
From the Occidental College Alumni page:

Oxy Football: Back, to the Future

http://alumni.oxy.edu/s/956/16/interior.aspx?sid=956&gid=1&pgid=3300

OxyBob

What happens if they don't raise the money by the 22nd?  Are they going to cancel the program right away?

Oxy has the money to cover all aspects of the program, including the increased funding needed to be competitive. How about they do this - fund the next four years and put full resources behind the program to succeed, and then go to your alumni to fill in the gaps financially to help the program grow.

This deadline and passing the buck to the alumni to step up and raise the money or else is simply a smoke screen to kill the program. They are being set up to fail in my personal opinion and this process does not pass the smell test. RIP Oxy football.
I went to the alumni meeting.  There were some very interesting questions that were ignored.  I understand that the alumni are trying to get the program back, so they wanted everything to be as positive as possible.  It was mentioned that alumni giving was the lowest it has ever been last year.  Of course it was, they cancelled the season.  I wanted it confirmed that alumni giving has gone down almost every year since the firing of Dale Widolff. 
You are one hundred percent right, if the money isn't raised then the administration will put the blame on "alumni that don't care".  Me personally, I don't see how anything changes, if those that caused the death of the program are still in charge.

olddog

Pure deflection by a liberal few that think they are smarter than the rest. Sad, such a respected school. I know so many great alums.
So donations are down since the program started the spiral and now its the donors fault who had zero control over the deal...numb-nuts

OxyBob

Quote from: Oxy1995 on April 13, 2018, 04:26:14 PM

This deadline and passing the buck to the alumni to step up and raise the money or else is simply a smoke screen to kill the program. They are being set up to fail in my personal opinion and this process does not pass the smell test. RIP Oxy football.

You are one hundred percent right, if the money isn't raised then the administration will put the blame on "alumni that don't care".

The college gave itself cover. If the unrealistic goals set by the "task force" aren't met,  then the college president will be able to say, "See, even Oxy football legends Jim Mora and Vance Mueller weren't able to raise enough money to save the football team."

OxyBob

Gray Fox

Quote from: OxyBob on April 13, 2018, 04:44:42 PM
Quote from: Oxy1995 on April 13, 2018, 04:26:14 PM

You are one hundred percent right, if the money isn't raised then the administration will put the blame on "alumni that don't care".

The college gave itself cover. If the unrealistic goals set by the "task force" aren't met,  then the college president will be able to say, "See, even Oxy football legends Jim Mora and Vance Mueller weren't able to raise enough money to save the football team."

OxyBob
We all know it's Jamie's fault.
Fierce When Roused

olddog

Former Oxy QB Bryan Scott and former Chapman TE Anthony Ezeakunne both played in the Spring League the past three weeks in Austin Texas, where Football Johnny M was featured. Scott was player of the game week #1, and Ezeakunne has bulked up to 6'4" 250#.

Lets see if these fellas end up in a camp or Canada ?

Gray Fox

Quote from: olddog on April 16, 2018, 10:51:09 AM
Former Oxy QB Bryan Scott and former Chapman TE Anthony Ezeakunne both played in the Spring League the past three weeks in Austin Texas, where Football Johnny M was featured. Scott was player of the game week #1, and Ezeakunne has bulked up to 6'4" 250#.

Lets see if these fellas end up in a camp or Canada ?

If Scott ends up in a camp or Canada, he will be able to contribute to the Oxy Football fund.   ;)
Fierce When Roused

D O.C.

MonroviaCat

Should be fun to compare and contrast how MHB handles NCAA violations vs how Oxy handled it...   ::)
Go Cats!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: MonroviaCat on April 16, 2018, 08:21:37 PM
Should be fun to compare and contrast how MHB handles NCAA violations vs how Oxy handled it...   ::)

Well, they self-reported, and already imposed sanctions on themselves that seem fairly severe.  Not knowing what specifically the infractions were, it is impossible to judge whether or not they have ALREADY exceeded what the NCAA would have imposed (or will impose).  The announcement already ruled out sexual misconduct, academic fraud, or financial aid impropriety; plus the violations did not involve gaining a recruiting advantage or a competitive advantage.  About all I'm coming up with is a coach gave a current player something improper - somewhere between buying him a cheeseburger and giving him a Lamborghini! ;D

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 16, 2018, 09:28:19 PM
Quote from: MonroviaCat on April 16, 2018, 08:21:37 PM

Well, they self-reported, and already imposed sanctions on themselves that seem fairly severe.  Not knowing what specifically the infractions were, it is impossible to judge whether or not they have ALREADY exceeded what the NCAA would have imposed (or will impose).  The announcement already ruled out sexual misconduct, academic fraud, or financial aid impropriety; plus the violations did not involve gaining a recruiting advantage or a competitive advantage.  About all I'm coming up with is a coach gave a current player something improper - somewhere between buying him a cheeseburger and giving him a Lamborghini! ;D
exactly—which is pretty much what happened at Oxy but they fired their coach which resulted in the demise of the program.
Go Cats!

D O.C.

Maybe it was a bus ticket home for CR III.

Hey, is it too late to dump Carroll and get UMHB again?  I suppose. olddog, you can have 'em.

olddog

Quote from: D O.C. on April 16, 2018, 10:55:20 PM
Maybe it was a bus ticket home for CR III.

Hey, is it too late to dump Carroll and get UMHB again?  I suppose. olddog, you can have 'em.

The Dogs cant handle a bus ride over two hours to play the Regals, plus MHB knows if they want a tougher game to play us not LF.

DFWCrufan

The "Ban" which it is not, is self imposed, which means Coach offered up to take the hit. One thing ya'll should know about coach, he stands behind his word even if it hurts him. Sitting a All American Linebacker Vs. UW Whitewater, a game that they lost by one point in the semis, the action was taken because the player broke a team rule, not NCAA, not school but team.
Coach is all about integrity, that it goes in the door before you do and stays after you leave, I'm figuring he did something like helped a certain family or two come to the University to see their son play on Thanksgiving, that is pure conjecture by the way.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018