2013 West Regional - Austin Tx

Started by 108 Stitches, May 12, 2013, 04:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on May 13, 2013, 05:42:02 PM
I am picking either Linfield or Cal Lutheran to move on to Appleton in 2013.

Living life on the edge, I see  ;D

Those two teams are clearly the favorites. They've both had spectacular seasons. They succeed in all aspects of the game. I think Linfield has a little more depth on the mound, but I also think Cal Lu's offense will start smashing teams as pitching runs out. These two teams won't be able to meet until at least the third game... It's a toss up but my pick would be Linfield. The way the came down and dominated in So Cal was pretty impressive.

Moving past the data and empirical evidence portion of the speculation, there may be something to the fact that PP and Texas Lutheran come in as teams that feel like they've been given a second life. They've got nothing to lose, and get a chance to prove a lot of people wrong. Not sure that's enough for TLU to overcome Linfield in the opening game, though.

But I really do think PP can and will go out and beat UTT. They're incredibly excited to be in the tournament. This is the program's first at-large bid of the six appearances they've had this millenium. It adds a new dynamic to a team/program that has underperformed in past regionals. This year's seniors were in Oregon as freshmen and know what it's like to beat UTT and Linfield (albeit very different UTT and Linfield teams), but they also know how quickly a good start can turn into mush and an early flight home. There's a lot of character on that team, battling through injuries to three of their top arms and immediately overcoming some bad games/moments (IE giving up 10 runs in the 7th to Redlands in the SCIAC tournament, then winning both of their games the next day). Bruml, their ace, will go in the first game. He's been good all year and UTT's offense isn't very scary. Put up a few runs against Chance Cotton (GREAT baseball name by the way), and they can definitely win it.

That also allows them some interesting options if they play CLU (PP win and CLU win) or Linfield (PP loss and Linfield win) in the second game. CLU hasn't seen much of Majev, so he could start against them and he's been great recently. Linfield didn't see much of Gano, so he could start against them and he's also been great recently.

PP's biggest question mark, as evidenced in the SCIAC tournament, is the same as CLU's- pitching depth. With all the injuries, it's going to be tough on the staff if they make it to a game four/five. They've also had struggles on defense- most of them clumping together for some really horrific innings/games. But I don't think they're a bad defensive team by any means.

It'll all depend on who steps up at the right time.

Can't wait, go Hens!

108 Stitches

Here are the full stats by rank.

Team   BA   Runs   Scoring   HR/gm   Slugging   SB   BoB   ERA   K/9   F%
CLU   1   2   2   46   4   154   67   47   87   35
Linfield   24   14   19   11   14   31   16   7   132   2
T-T   161   47   131   79   67   131   67   42   82   1
P-P   48   23   57   68   50   314   50   80   260   237
TU   16   12   20   51   16   61   60   4   2   90
TLU   212   96   197   146   224   45   64   19   48   9
National Rank                              

Johnny U help!  how do I insert a table???

TexasBB

Tyler's advantage over PP is pitching and defense. Cotten is a very good starter and teams don't hit him well. Tyler also has a very good set-up man and closer who has 15 saves this year. The Patriots are an opportunistic offense that will score in bunches if you make a fielding mistake or an utimely walk or hit batter. So P-P which ranks 237 in fielding percentage will be going up against the best defense in the country. Tyler just won't beat themselves. I give them the edge in this first game.

108 Stitches

I wish the table came out better, but I agree with TexasBB, at least in the first game TT pitching and defense will be too good, and P-P will likely make a mistake that will cost them the game. It could easily be a 2-0 game.

I think Linfield is just too good for TLU. TLU will make it a game IMO and Linfield better not look beyond them.

I think that TU has enough offense and balance to beat CLU, particularly with Lucero who is 27-3 or something close to this. I think he is crafty enough to work through the CLU line up and hold them to 3 runs or less and I don't think the front end of the CLU rotation can hold TU to less than this, by the time they get to Roth it will be too late. TU's defense was much better in the back half of the year and as long as it holds they should win. They will lose if they kick the ball around at all. 

playball

What type of playing surface will be in play for the regional?  If it is anything like the McMurray field of a couple years ago, I don't think Linfield will fair very well.  Their pitching really induces a lot of ground balls and choppers which is very beneficial on the soft turf at Linfield (Ball really dies when chopped vs. launching 30 ft in the air for an infield hit).  I'm not trying to say that the field determines who wins, but a soft ground/turf field would greatly benefit this year's Linfield chances

Texas Leaguer

Quote from: playball on May 13, 2013, 08:56:54 PM
What type of playing surface will be in play for the regional?  If it is anything like the McMurray field of a couple years ago, I don't think Linfield will fair very well.  Their pitching really induces a lot of ground balls and choppers which is very beneficial on the soft turf at Linfield (Ball really dies when chopped vs. launching 30 ft in the air for an infield hit).  I'm not trying to say that the field determines who wins, but a soft ground/turf field would greatly benefit this year's Linfield chances

Concordia has a great facility.  Just built in the last year or two and the entire playing surface if field turf I believe.  Not sure if it plays quicker or slower than a traditional grass surface though.

http://athletics.concordia.edu/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=71

tigerfan_2001

It is all field turf, but plays much faster that Linfield's does.

Westside

Two of Linfield's three starters are fly ball pitchers, so I am not sure where you are getting that information from. And their infield is definitely the strong point of their defense. Of course, turf helps any team defensively...

I also don't think they will overlook anyone in this tournament. Getting smashes by LC State a week ago was definitely an eye-opener. Anyone can beat them on any given day, but that team will have to play its best ball.

Three teams ranked in the top 10... It is a bummer I will miss most of these games due to work.
NWC Baseball

CrashDavisD3

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

108 Stitches

Quote from: Westside4 on May 13, 2013, 09:25:43 PM
Three teams ranked in the top 10... It is a bummer I will miss most of these games due to work.

Video feed...plus a quick "alt tab"  ;D

Jack Parkman

I gueass paying attention to details isn't real high on the list today.  From the CLU web-page:

"In 2012, CLU and TU met on the diamond with the Tigers earning a 5-0 victory at the Desert Classic in Anthem, Ariz. on Feb. 17."

108 Stitches

Considering Trinity did not play in Arizona in 2012 I would say that is a pretty good feat.  ::)

ILVBB

The mark of a great team is winning games that they didn't play ;D