WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on January 22, 2019, 11:20:07 AM
I didn't really have a point to make, beyond the format producing a set of home games that bypass the 2 seed. I concur with you guys' comments.
I think it should be : 9 at 1, 8 at 2, 7 at 3, 6 at 4. Seed 5 is excluded, but plays a game at Simon Fraser Univ, the D3 school in Burnaby BC, with a few extra days in Vancouver thrown in.

Should we send them to DC to play the Nationals for some reason as well? :P

I know you weren't necessarily trying to make a point about the seeding and the byes, but it made a good transition to the what-if game I was playing out in my head.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Ha! Yes, to DC -- that's a pragmatic option, too!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on January 22, 2019, 10:48:56 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 22, 2019, 01:21:00 AM
Quote from: RogK on January 21, 2019, 06:21:12 PM
A minor oddity of the expanded CCIW conference playoffs, hardly worth mentioning : seeds 1, 3 and 4 will host games, but #2 doesn't. Now for something completely different.

#2 wasn't hosting in the old format, either? ;)

I get what you are saying ... the advantage for the 2-seed is a little bit of rest and not getting beat up in a game that their eventual opponent will have experienced.

I've been thinking about this lately too, wondering if there's more benefit to being the 3 seed as opposed to the 2 seed. The 3 seed gets an extra game to, assuming chalk plays out, get an extra boost to win percentage and, depending on the year, a possible slight boost to SOS as well.

Far more often than not it'll be a SOS hit rather than a SOS boost. The CCIW simply does not have the kind of depth in women's basketball that produces even mediocre records in the lower third of the standings. Only twice in this decade has the CCIW's sixth-place team finished with a winning overall record.

Quote from: lmitzel on January 22, 2019, 10:48:56 AMIt probably really would only benefit a team in the lower half of the regional rankings, and even then, probably not a lot. Counterbalance that with the what-if of a bubble team seeded #3 losing at home in the quarterfinal thus probably getting eliminated from the tournament picture... and I'd be inclined to say that it probably isn't worth it.

i think that, in many cases, a #2 coach would simply be relieved that her or his team has the extra time to rest up before beginning postseason play.

Quote from: RogK on January 22, 2019, 11:20:07 AM
I didn't really have a point to make, beyond the format producing a set of home games that bypass the 2 seed. I concur with you guys' comments.
I think it should be : 9 at 1, 8 at 2, 7 at 3, 6 at 4. Seed 5 is excluded, but plays a game at Simon Fraser Univ, the D3 school in Burnaby BC, with a few extra days in Vancouver thrown in.

It would make for a nice, scenic trip ...  but, unfortunately, Simon Fraser is D2, not D3.

(Simon Fraser's sports teams are known as the Clan. Their mascot is a cartoon Scottish Terrier named McFogg the Dog.)

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Darn it, I thought with the exchange rate, D2 US would be D3 Canadian. Anyway, thanks for that correction, Greg.
I wandered that campus back in September 2017.
While I was there, no one told me to stop thinking they were in D3.

iwu70

D2 or D3, Simon Fraser a great place, lovely campus.  And UBC too. 

Looking forward to the WC-IWU re-match in about a week now.  Titans have some time off to prepare and WC gets to keep playing, with some tough away opponents in the meantime.

TITANS did a great job on the Pink Zone game, raising more than $3,200 and counting for the Bloomington/Normal area Cancer Center.  Way to go philanthropic Titans.  Another successful year of this meaningful event. 

'70

RogK

Yep, iwu70, UBC is in a nice setting as well.

iwu70

IWU over NPU at the half 38-25.  Sam Munroe night at The Shirk. 

Looks good so far -- plenty of TOs from the "run and jump" tonight.

'70

Mr. Ypsi

Final: IWU 97, NPU 52.  Sam Munroe lead the way with 27 pts (career high?), Sydney Shanks had 16, and Raven Hughes (scoreless at halftime) finished with 15.

iwu70

Top offensive output of the year for the Titans tonight, scoring a 97-52 win over NPU.

Yes, career high for Munroe 27
Shanks 16
Hughes 15
Brovelli 8 and 9

Good overall team effort, esp. the pressure defense causing tons of TOs, probably 30 or so.  Pine-sitters getting their minutes again.

For NPU:
Johnson 12

Titans on a roll.  Good three game home stand, home cook'n. 

Next up, the re-match with Wheaton in a week's time, basically for the CCIW regular season crown.

'70

lmitzel

North Central has its first multi-game winning streak following a 58-49 victory over Augustana tonight. Ugly game all around. North Central turned the ball over 24 times, a number which would normally have told me they would have gotten blown out. But Augie shot an abysmal 1-21 from beyond the arc, not hitting a three until late in the 4th. An 8-17 night at the line doesn't help matters either.

Natali Dimitrova was the only Cardinal in double figures with 16, Page Desenberg added 8, including a couple clutch threes to open up a lead in the third, Maya Walls scores 9, and Alanna Newsome added 8. Augie got 17 from Izzy Anderson and 15 from Alexis Jones, whole Scooter Lopez had a fun line: no points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 7 steals.

With a season sweep over Augie serving as a potentially interesting tiebreaker, I'd watch out for the Cardinals sneaking into the conference tournament this year. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but still.
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Wheaton 76-59 over Carroll :
(it was 30-30 at halftime)
49-24 rebound advantage for the Thunder;
Hannah Frazier 26 pts, 14 rebs; Hannah Williams 25 pts, 5 assists; Jill Berg returned from injury, grabbing 9 rebs in 10:00; Devin Kyler shot 0-6 but was otherwise very good : 9 rebs, 4 assists, 2 steals, 5 blocks.
for Carroll, Alyssa Cruz had 12 pts, 6 assists, 3 stls; another 12 pts from Sierra Grubor.

RogK

I saw Carthage top Elmhurst, 67-59.
Among the Lady Reds who did well was Autumn Kalis, who scored 22 (.611 eFG%), had 5 rebs, did a lot of speedy bringing the ball upcourt. Carthage has a number of multitalented guards who handle the ball well. Bailey Gilbert also was noteworthy, adding 10 rebs, 8 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals.
Lisa Logan (Elmhurst) led all scorers with 25 (including .808 eFG%) and led her team with 9 rebs. Marissa Urso had 12 pts and 4 steals. Sophia Lathe returned from injury with a couple of minutes and picked up a sharp assist, which drew a roar of approval from her teammates. Her minutes may remain limited in the near future, but she no doubt enjoyed getting back on the court.
updated conference standings :
9-1 IWU WHE
8-2 CTG
5-5 AUG
4-5 ELM
3-7 NCC NPU
2-8 CRL
1-8 MIL

iwu70

IWU goes to 16-3, 9-1. 

A bye weekend, then the big game up at WC, January 30th.  (Come on Carthage, put another loss on Wheaton! :) ).

'70

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on January 24, 2019, 12:07:14 AM
Wheaton 76-59 over Carroll :
(it was 30-30 at halftime)

Yeah, there was some contention about that. Wheaton's Twitter account said it was 31-30 Thunder at the half, prompting a reply from Carroll's correcting them to 30-30 with a  ;) involved. But compounding the issue was checking the live stats on Carroll's website and seeing 30-28 Pioneers. That made my halftime scoreboard update fun. Anytime you get to use the phrase "I don't know what's going on," while maybe not the most professional thing, it's kind of amusing.

But eventually they (and I) got it sorted out.
#THREEEEEEEEE

GoPerry

Glad to see Jill Berg getting back on the floor with 7 offensive rebounds, 9 overall.  Hannah Williams had another pretty big game, her 3rd in the last 5 starts.  Last night, 25 pts, 4 rebs, 8/14, 3-4 3pt, 6/6 FT , 5 assts with only 2 tos is a nice line.  The Thunder could definitely use another consistent scorer in the mid double digits.

Hannah Frazier yet another pretty big night.  At this point in the season making a solid case for MOP (yes, I know there are other candidates, more games to play, etc etc).