Pool C -- 2011

Started by Ralph Turner, October 09, 2011, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cludad

what are the chances of chapman getting a bid if they win out, or beat either clu or redlands. they are 4-1 with a loss to azusa pacific(naia). they do not qualify for sciac auto. bid but have same record as clu.

Pat Coleman

I think they would need to win out to get Pool C consideration. Long way to go for a team that hasn't played either of the top teams yet.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

cludad

i understand its a long way to go but i just saw their record and started thinking the what ifs.i think both clu and redlands should  come away with wins,but that is why they play the game :D

hazzben

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 21, 2011, 06:00:36 PM
Okay everyone!

"Pool C" mode is in effect until the end of the season.

After tomorrow, we can list the favored Pool A candidates that we want to run the table.

That will leave more Pool C bids available for the rest of us.

As it looks now, the short list of Pool A favorites is UMHB, UWW, UMU, Del Valley, St Thomas and Salisbury.  We want those teams to run the table, and knock out as many other Pool C candidates as we can!

Please add others as you find them.

The CCIW needs to pare those teams.  I am in favor of someone other than North Central (with its loss to Redlands) going undefeated and winning the CCIW. I want NCC to finish with 2 in-region losses.

Says you...I want Bethel to pull off the upset tomorrow and turn your little Pool C world on its head!  ;)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 21, 2011, 07:35:53 PM
These I believe are all the teams who could finish with 1 loss and not win their conference (and games against teams they could finish tied in conference with)
Of course some of these will sort themselves out in the next few weeks (like the MAC)
This doesn't take into account whether or not they're a worthy playoff team, just whether they'd have 1 loss.
*Asterisk means one of the listed teams will be in Pool A

ASC:  *Mary Hardin-Baylor  6-0 (4-0) (@ Texas Lutheran)
      Louisiana College   5-1 (3-1) (none)
CC:   Johns Hopkins       6-0 (5-0) (@ Gettysburg, vs Ursinus)
CCIW: Illinois Wesleyan   6-0 (3-0) (vs North Central)
      Wheaton             5-1 (2-1) (@ North Central)
E8:   Salisbury           6-0 (4-0) (vs St John Fisher)
LL:   Hobart              4-0 (2-0) (vs RPI)
MAC: *Delaware Valley     7-0 (5-0) (@ Lycoming, vs Widener)
      Widener             6-1 (4-1) (vs Lebanon Valley, @ Del Val)
      Lebanon Valley      5-1 (3-1) (@ Widener, vs Lycoming)
      Lycoming            5-1 (3-1) (@ Lebanon Valley, vs Del Val)
MIAA: Adrian              6-0 (2-0) (vs Albion)
MIAC:*St Thomas           7-0 (5-0) (@ Bethel)
      Bethel              5-1 (3-1) (vs St Thomas)
      St Olaf             5-1 (3-1) (none)
MWC:  Illinois College    6-1 (5-1) (none)
NCAC: Wabash              6-0 (3-0) (vs Wittenberg)
NEFC: Endicott            7-0 (5-0) (@ Western New England, NEFC Championship)
NJAC: Montclair St        6-0 (5-0) (@ Rowan, vs Kean)
      Kean                5-1 (4-1) (vs Rowan, @ Montclair St)
NWC:  Linfield            5-0 (3-0) (vs Pacific Lutheran, vs Lewis & Clark)
      Lewis & Clark       5-0 (2-0) (@ Pacific Lutheran, vs Willamette, @ Linfield)
OAC:  Mount Union         6-0 (5-0) (vs Baldwin-Wallace)
PAC:  Thomas More         6-0 (5-0) (@ Westminster, vs Waynesburg)
SCAC: Trinity (TX)        6-0 (3-0) (vs Birmingham Southern, vs Centre)
      Centre              5-0 (2-0) (@ Millsaps, @Trinity)
      Birmingham Southern 5-1 (2-1) (@ Trinity, vs Millsaps)
SCIAC Redlands            4-1 (2-1) (none)
UMAC: St Scholastica      6-0 (5-0) (@ Eureka)
WIAC: UW-Whitewater       6-0 (3-0) (@ UW-Oshkosh)

Pool B *
      Wesley              5-1
      Case Western Reserve 5-1
      Chapman            4-1 (I don't know if they go in here or not but I'll stick them here)

ECFC: None
HCAC: None
IIAC: None
ODAC: None
USAC: None

UMHB has the win, and the head-to-head tiebreaker over Louisiana College.  Basically, UMHB must lose 2 games against the bottom of the conference. UMHB only plays 9 South Region games this year.  Louisiana College hosts McMurry on November 5th.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 21, 2011, 10:50:24 PM
UMHB has the win, and the head-to-head tiebreaker over Louisiana College.  Basically, UMHB must lose 2 games against the bottom of the conference. UMHB only plays 9 South Region games this year.  Louisiana College hosts McMurry on November 5th.
If Texas Lutheran wins out (including beating MHB) then they could take the title from MHB but I didn't include them on the list because they have 2 losses already and wouldn't be a Pool C factor.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Toby Taff

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 22, 2011, 12:14:30 AM
If Texas Lutheran wins out (including beating MHB) then they could take the title from MHB but I didn't include them on the list because they have 2 losses already and wouldn't be a Pool C factor.
Only if McM loses another game because if not there would be a 3 way tie for 1st in conference and the tie breaker would likely go to McM on run differential between the tied teams.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

dahlby

Chapman can only qualify as a Pool C selection.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Toby Taff on October 22, 2011, 01:53:50 AM
Only if McM loses another game because if not there would be a 3 way tie for 1st in conference and the tie breaker would likely go to McM on run differential between the tied teams.
Three-way ties in the ASC are settled by a coin-toss, as a consequence of the 2003 Tri-Champs, ETBU, HSU and UMHB.

HSU did not get to kick the XP in OT and that cost them the point differential at the end of the season.

Toby Taff

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 22, 2011, 12:35:46 PM
Three-way ties in the ASC are settled by a coin-toss, as a consequence of the 2003 Tri-Champs, ETBU, HSU and UMHB.

HSU did not get to kick the XP in OT and that cost them the point differential at the end of the season.
According to the ASC web site its. Winning percentage against the other tied teams, then against the division, then point diff against tied teams, then division
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Toby Taff on October 22, 2011, 02:58:16 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 22, 2011, 12:35:46 PM

According to the ASC web site its. Winning percentage against the other tied teams, then against the division, then point diff against tied teams, then division

Yes, basically for a three-way tie at 7-1 in the ASC, it breaks out this way.
9.1.4       Multiple Ties / Football: In the event of a three-way or more tie that cannot be broken by the record against the tied teams followed by record against other conference opponents in descending order, the Commissioner shall conduct a draw with the tied teams to determine the conference automatic qualifier to the NCAA Division III Football Championship.

Ralph Turner

With the balance in the NJAC, might the conference knock itself out of Pool C bid?

Pat Coleman

Well, balance or the injury to the Montclair quarterback.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

FCGrizzliesGrad

I've updated my list from the other day. I believe (and I could be wrong) these are all the teams that could finish with 1 loss but not win their conference. This doesn't include teams that can only finish with 1 loss by winning their conference (such as North Central in the CCIW) or 2 loss teams worthy of Pool C discussion (such as UW-Oshkosh)

Conf        Team                            Record          Conf Deciding Games
ASC:  Louisiana College   6-1 (4-1) (none)
CC:   Johns Hopkins       7-0 (6-0) (vs Ursinus)
CCIW: Illinois Wesleyan   6-1 (3-1) (none)
      Wheaton             6-1 (3-1) (@ North Central)
E8:   Salisbury           7-0 (5-0) (vs St John Fisher)
LL:   Hobart              5-0 (3-0) (vs RPI)
MAC:* Delaware Valley     8-0 (6-0) (@ Lycoming, vs Widener)
      Widener             7-1 (5-1) (@ Del Val)
      Lycoming            6-1 (4-1) (vs Del Val)
MIAA: Adrian              7-0 (3-0) (vs Albion)
MIAC: St Olaf             6-1 (4-1) (none)
MWC:  Illinois College    7-1 (6-1) (none)
NCAC: Wabash              7-0 (4-0) (vs Wittenberg)
NEFC: Endicott            8-0 (6-0) (@ Western New England, NEFC Championship)
NWC:  Linfield            6-0 (4-0) (vs Lewis & Clark)
      Lewis & Clark       6-0 (3-0) (@ Pacific Lutheran, vs Willamette, @ Linfield)
OAC:  Mount Union         7-0 (6-0) (vs Baldwin-Wallace)
PAC:  Thomas More         7-0 (6-0) (@ Westminster, vs Waynesburg)
SCAC: Trinity (TX)        7-0 (3-0) (vs Birmingham Southern, vs Centre)
      Centre              6-0 (3-0) (@ Millsaps, @Trinity)
      Birmingham Southern 5-1 (2-1) (@ Trinity, vs Millsaps)
SCIAC Redlands            5-1 (3-1) (none)

Pool B
      Wesley              6-1
      Case Western Reserve 6-1

ECFC: None
HCAC: None
IIAC: None
NAthC None
NJAC: None
ODAC: None
UMAC: None
USAC: None
WIAC: None
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

smedindy

Thank FC:

A. There's always what the committee will do with the teams that have one in-region loss and one elsewhere, like McMurry or Oshkosh. Of course, if Louisiana College beats McMurry that point is moot. Oshkosh still needs to run through the rest of the WIAC.

B. Illinois Wesleyan definitely wants North Central to beat Wheaton to clear out the Thunder.

C. Delaware Valley can help everyone by taking care of the MAC.

D. The SCAC could have two "C" teams if BSU beats Trinity and then Trinity beats Centre. I said could, not would. The question would be a one-loss BSU or a two-loss Wheaton. Glad I'm not on the committee.