MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmherstStudent05

Quote from: nescac1 on April 16, 2014, 07:18:02 AM

Speaking of Amherst, still curious to hear who this "next Toomey / Olson" who we were told will be arriving next year is!

I am curious about this as well! I am surprised we haven't heard more recruiting news by now.  At this point not only should basically all admission decisions have been made -- save for perhaps a few stragglers on the waitlist -- but shouldn't we soon be coming up on the time when deposits are due?  Obviously, I am most interested in Amherst.  Clearly Hix is bringing in more than one recruit and certainly a point guard really has to be in the mix.

Similarly, doesn't Maker really need to bring in a big man frosh or another transfer.  Otherwise, who else is there to give Kilcullen a breather? (On the Williams team photo there is a really tall kid standing behind Mayer but I cannot recall who he is and I couldn't find him listed on the Williams roster.)

Can't begrudge jumpshot for still savoring the Final Four win over Amherst.  If I were a Williams fan I would undoubtedly feel the same way.  But, as for Williams's "great season" -- any time Williams fails to win the NESCAC regular season, fails to win the NESCAC Tournament, fails to win the NCAA Tournament, and finishes the year with a losing record to Amherst (1-3, no less) that is the kind of "great Williams season" that, as an Amherst fan, I can live with (especially in light of the great Williams seasons I actually had to live with back when I was a student).

Agree with nescac1 that anything can happen of course in the Biggest Little Game in America.  However, barring a stud QB transfer or a new OC, if Williams is to beat Amherst next season they will almost certainly have to keep our offense under 17 points to even have a chance (their D nearly accomplished that feat last season, truth be told).

Toad, off hand I actually can't think of many seasons where Amherst excelled when observers thought that they might be in for a down year.  Mostly this is probably due to the fact that, over the past 15 years, the Jeffs have rarely been expected to have a down year. 2004 probably exceeded expectations a great deal just because we lost 3 stalwart starters -- headlined by PoY Zieja -- and were coming off a heartbreaking loss to Williams.  Also, I don't know why you think Tom Parker will have much to do with "pull[ing] a rabit out of the recruiting hat."  I am counting on Hix, Goldsmith and Khop to solve that problem. They have my complete confidence, but I guess the more help the merrier.

madzillagd

6'10 Ed Flynn should be back next year for the Ephs. Injured his ankle right before the season and struggled to get it back into shape.  Actually spent a lot of time in Salem talking to him and his dad when I was back there, at that point he had 2 weeks left of physical therapy to do.  He hasn't played a whole lot so I wouldn't expect too much out of him, but having guy that big is always nice to have when you go up against some bigger/tougher opponents.   

nescac1

AmherstStudent05, conversely, any season that ends in Salem, I'd say qualifies as a great season (after all, only four out of 300 plus D3 teams can make it that far), and any season that includes a 30-point win over Amherst in Salem, most CERTAINLY qualifies in my mind, regardless of that oh-so-brutal last four seconds of the title game!

As for Williams' interior play, I think that is as big a question for Williams next year as PG is for Amherst.  Ryan Kilcullen showed he can be a very effective starter on the offensive end -- his great shooting opens things up for teammates as opposing big guys have to respect his shot anywhere on the court, he is a nice finisher off of cuts in the offense, and I felt like he was able to get into a much better shooting / overall offensive rhythm as a starter (when Mayer was hurt) than in spot minutes off the bench, where he was less effective.  A frontcourt of all good shooters in Kilcullen/Robinson/Wohl means that guys like David George and Sabety can't just sit back and guard the paint.  But he isn't going to ever be a guy who you can throw the ball into the post and most of the time get a bucket with his back to the basket even when tightly guarded, which Williams has had the luxury of having the last few years with Mayer.  Defensively, and in terms of rebounding, is another big question, hopefully he will make some big strides in those departments heading into his senior year, because he had a tough time dealing with bigger, stronger big guys in the post, and NESCAC is chalk full of them next season.

As madzillagd notes hopefully Flynn will come back, and if he does, provide some badly needed interior shot-blocking and rebounding off the bench, but since he has never played more than spot minutes, it's hard to know what he will be able to offer assuming he does return to the team.  Darias Sime played a few meaningful minutes down the stretch, and I thought looked promising.  He is only 6'4, so he is severely undersized for the 5 spot, but he is strong, quick and athletic, and I think he will be fine as a back-up five next year in the event that Flynn or a frosh does not fill that role.  In spot minutes, he showed he can make some hustle plays on defense, get offensive rebounds and put-backs, and generally be an energy guy off the bench.  He is a better football player than basketball player, but a good enough athlete to play both at a high level.

Williams certainly doesn't have the luxury of going five deep like Amherst will at the five spot next year, or of having a proven interior shot-blocking presence, but then again, Amherst doesn't have two experienced known quantities returning at the backcourt positions.  And of course, Williams has Duncan Robinson, who if he makes the strides you would expect going into his sophomore year should be virtually unstoppable in many games next year. 

But I don't think there is any NESCAC team that doesn't have at least one major question mark, nor any that has no reason for hope next year.  Conn College clearly returns the worst roster, but has been cleaning up in recruiting with eight committed players, several of whom seem to be highly-regarded, so they may be more competitive than anticipated.   It seems like Midd has two very good recruits who may play early, and I think Midd will be an NCAA team again next year unless they play another super-stacked schedule.  Williams and Amherst have at least one potential impact recruit each, and Conn has a really great class coming in.  Other than that, overall, not much news on the recruiting front especially as compared to last year's highly-anticipated group of frosh.  I'm sure there will be a few surprises, particularly from Amherst, because there is no way Hixon is only bringing in one guy. 

GingerBaker

Colby started 5 sophs this year.  A few of them had already made huge strides (here's lookin at you, Chris Hudnut) , and a few them are due for huge strides.  I think given all the re-shuffling at the top, Colby has a legitimate chance at serious success for the next two seasons (and beyond?) 

nescac1

GingerBaker, agreed re: Colby.  Luke Westman in particular seems like a guy who could be the next breakout player in NESCAC.  His offensive efficiency is incredible, he just needs to be a bit more aggressive in looking for his shot.  With all the good senior point guards departing, he is one of the top returning playmakers in the league.  I think they are probably another year away from being a team that makes significant noise on the national level, but they could certainly make noise on the regional level next season, especially if they bring in one more capable perimeter scorer.  A remarkably fast turnaround job by Strahorn. 

toad22

I guess my thought that Amherst might have a "down" year should be modified a bit. If Amherst doesn't appear in the top ten nationally, I view that is a down year for them. That has rarely happened in the last decade.

middhoops

Quote from: GingerBaker on April 16, 2014, 01:34:13 PM
Colby started 5 sophs this year.  A few of them had already made huge strides (here's lookin at you, Chris Hudnut) , and a few them are due for huge strides.  I think given all the re-shuffling at the top, Colby has a legitimate chance at serious success for the next two seasons (and beyond?)
Scary, and true.   +k  to you, GB.

amh63

Intriguing basketball talk going on.  Difficult for me to make projections of many conference teams since I have not watched the play of many teams live...yes, the "eye test" that many pro analysts speak about. 
Even if I had a list of all the incoming recruits....including the " Olsen/Toomey" one?....the projections would still be a crap shoot.  It would be fun, though.  Why?   Recall what occurred this year.  All the injuries and players becoming AWOL during the season.  With the exception of Duncan at Williams, how many freshmen made an impact by the end of the season.  Maker in an interview in the post season stated that Duncan was not one of the players he wanted to take out of a game in a question on rotation.  I do not recall Toomey was that critical his freshman year, or projected to be.   Same for Olson.  Correct me AmhStud05  on Olson's impact his FY.
On the other hand, I could not have projected the impact of  Pollack and Green on Amherst's title run, especially in the post season.    When I look at new recruits, I see bench depth mostly in the case for Amherst.  I could say the same for Middlebury and Williams.
Nescac 1, touched on the critical question of "depth" when talking about Williams' front court, IMO.
I believe that Middlebury has potentially the best backcourt in the conference, barring further injuries.  The question for the Panthers are the backups for the starters in the backcourt.
Toad 22 is correct in projecting the backcourt as the weakest part of The Lord Jeffs.  I see experience players and depth as the problem.  The talent is there.  R. Berman  is a solid PG and only needs PT at the position.  Considering the minutes Toomey and Kalema played, it is surprising that Berman got any time.  Williams is most fortunate that they have depth at the position of PG....that came about IMO due to injuries during the season.  Williams got better as the season progressed due to the rise of their freshman PG's PT.
The question of the pg for Amherst for the coming season is not so much who will start, but the depth at the position.  I remember when Toomey went out due to an injury early in his soph year.  Kalema replaced him and had a shaky time in an Amherst lost.  I believe that Amherst's coaches will find a solution...agree with AmhStud05 here.  Will it be a recruit?   To provide depth?   No one replaces Toomey in running Amherst's  offense...in providing his leadership...in taking over the offense literally at times.  I see Amherst having an offense next year built differently.  The PG will not be needed to provide as much offense.  The offense will come elsewhere.
Still, there could be surprises coming in the Fall for Amherst basketball :). Yes, there are times in sports that I like surprises.

lemonjello

It may be the offseason, but Coach Hixon's shade-throwing skills are in midseason form http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30sbz7o&s=8#.U1AneuZdWSc

middhoops

The following is an email to all of us from Old Guy in Cameroon.

Friends in Pick-Up Hoop:

The last few weeks I have been trying to become more familiar with basketball here in Cameroon, playing a poor man's Alex Wolff (whose Big Game, Small World is a sports classic and a great favorite). There is real interest here in basketball, but it's fairly subterranean. You never go by a playground court or see a hoop on a dwelling. It's like most things here – the problem is "infrastructure." The interest in basketball greatly outstrips opportunities and facilities, especially facilities.

Brett's student, Valentine, a self-confessed basketball junkie, has been accompanying me to outdoor basketball courts around the city on Saturday mornings. Valentine is 26 today. His favorite players are Lebron James and Kobe Bryant (no surprise there), but Valentine is Muggsy Bogues' size. I told him he should check out Chris Paul – and he did. Today he showed up in a shirt with Chris Paul written on the back. Valentine told us that he hadn't played in four months because his shoes were worn out. We took care of that.  We went to the court last week at Yaounde 1, the university where Brett teaches, probably the best court in town, though crude by American standards – and today we went to the football/basketball complex right next to the Yaounde Prison (a foreboding place) in Embombo, an urban neighborhood just outside Centre Ville. The players I've seen both places are good, by any standards: big guys, in their twenties (some younger, some older). Today, I saw a guy twice receive an ally-oop pass and jam. Impressive. It feels very much like I am at a court in the U.S. where the good players go. Wish I were 25.

amh63

Thanks....Middhoops!
OG's closing remark caused me to pause and think if I wish to be 25 again...not really, even with regards to playing.  I had just moved to Cambridge, Ma....to start going back to school full time again.
Scary time and place to be as a married student. 

middhoops

amh63, can't we all relate to the concept of being at our athletic peak again?  OG chronicles it artfully.

middhoops

"I told him he should check out Chris Paul – and he did. Today he showed up in a shirt with Chris Paul written on the back. Valentine told us that he hadn't played in four months because his shoes were worn out. We took care of that."

Class act, our OG.

amh63

Agreed on OG....hope they were Chucks...high top :)

Athletic peak?  Was not in terrific BB shape.....even when I biked to school along the Charles past courts with students playing hoops.  No time when you are taking up to 5 graduate courses per semester at MIT.
Short ride from the BU bridge...even when gas was less than 50cents/gallon...no parking...put the bike in my office.  When I returned to work, I did play on an office BB team....still not in true shape.  think my peak was in my late teens...endurance, etc. 
One of my daughter-in-law, who is a tri-athlete, tells me that performance wise for women, peak is around the 30's in that "sport".
Maybe it is that clean cool air in VT that keeps people peaking at a later date?

Old Guy

Quickly: I was 25 in 1970 - not a good year for America (Vietnam, Nixon, dope, nihilism generally). The BEST part of my life at 25 was hoop. I moved from Maine to Cleveland. I played 3-4 days a week, at night during the week, daytime on weekends, pick-up and in amateur leagues (adult men's rec leagues).

I was not a good player in college: too small to play forward (6'1"); too slow to play guard. But I felt I could go into a gym anywhere and hold my own, because I had played on teams for a long time and was well-coached. After a while, the game becomes instinct. I could play man-to-man defense, box out/rebound/and outlet the ball, fill a lane on the break, and hit an open jumper (I could shoot). Hustle. Move without the ball.

The best hoop competition I encountered was Bates College Intramural "A" League (I was teaching high school nearby, and qualified, nominally, as a "faculty child"), pick-up at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas, and the YMCA league all around Cleveland - I played for the Cleveland Heights Y. I played and reffed 15 years in the town league in Middlebury and met many people (Midd Hoops!) I wouldn't have otherwise known.

Great game. Miss it.