Rank the Mideast Region

Started by Spence, March 17, 2013, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Quote from: motorman on March 24, 2013, 07:32:56 PM

Yes, Berg managed to salvage the last game vs Case with 3 runs in bottom of 9th to win 5-4. Not sure yet about the prognosis for Thomas. He would qualify for the medical waiver, but not sure about the advisability of paying another $25,000 to play another year of baseball.

You make a good point there haha. Jeez I think that was about my total debt bill.

Bishopleftiesdad

If he does get a waiver would he be able to play at a D1 if he would graduate and choose a grad school.

I know it is off the board for Grad school and D3.

Spence

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on March 25, 2013, 11:14:58 AM
If he does get a waiver would he be able to play at a D1 if he would graduate and choose a grad school.

I know it is off the board for Grad school and D3.

Interesting question. I would guess the grad school team would have to put the waiver through.

Bishopleftiesdad

I know a D3 player that did this. He had TJ surgery his senior year. He did not play. that gave him one more year of Baseball and he is attending Grad school at t D1 and is on the team. I am not sure how much pitching he is getting, but it is another year in Baseball.

Spence

Doing another ranking right now seems pointless. It's Marietta 1, Manchester 2 and after that you've got like 15 schools that haven't really distinguished themselves from each other.

EttaFan1

Things are going to get interesting this week.  There is a huge matchup on Tuesday between Mount Union and Marietta.  I think we will learn more about both of those teams this week. 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: EttaFan1 on April 01, 2013, 08:15:22 AM
Things are going to get interesting this week.  There is a huge matchup on Tuesday between Mount Union and Marietta.  I think we will learn more about both of those teams this week.

With the way Etta is hitting I'd be fine with a split.  It's not often you wish for this, but I'd rather have it be the 1-2 starters in this one.  I like Mount's chances better against Byers/Mulvey if we have Carlino/Murzynski going.  I'm worried that Etta's bats are too far ahead of Mount's right now to get into a high scoring DH tomorrow and have it turn out well.  If Pryor throws well (as he has certain starts) they have a good chance.  They just can't afford to do like ONU and fall down big early.

Spence

You may get your wish with Mulvey. He only threw like 59 pitches Saturday. Probably not starting, but would be surprised if he doesn't pitch at some point in the day.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Spence on April 01, 2013, 03:55:21 PM
You may get your wish with Mulvey. He only threw like 59 pitches Saturday. Probably not starting, but would be surprised if he doesn't pitch at some point in the day.

Problem is I'm not getting the more important half of the wish which is Carlino/Murzynski.  Haha. 

Spence

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 01, 2013, 04:48:41 PM
Quote from: Spence on April 01, 2013, 03:55:21 PM

Problem is I'm not getting the more important half of the wish which is Carlino/Murzynski.  Haha.

Important to you maybe! I'm liking having Mulvey available! It'll be interesting to see what Brewer goes with to start.

jos s

Quote from: Spence on April 01, 2013, 03:17:11 AM
Doing another ranking right now seems pointless. It's Marietta 1, Manchester 2 and after that you've got like 15 schools that haven't really distinguished themselves from each other.

Case Western has to be strongly looked at for the #3 spot in the region based on both record, and strength of sced.  Case has only played 1 team thie season with a losing record.

EttaFan1

With the games pushed to Wednesday, look for Mulvey to start the 9.  Only question is will Byers start the first one on three days rest?

The extra day in between didn't hurt the pioneers!

And I think Case is a strong #3 in the group right now.  Their three game series with Marietta in May could prove to be very interesting!

Spence

Quote from: EttaFan1 on April 02, 2013, 08:03:16 AM
With the games pushed to Wednesday, look for Mulvey to start the 9.  Only question is will Byers start the first one on three days rest?

And I think Case is a strong #3 in the group right now.  Their three game series with Marietta in May could prove to be very interesting!

I can't pick between Case, Wittenberg, LaRoche, Otterbein, Heidelberg, etc. They've all either got really good records against some suspect schedules, or quite a few losses against good schedules.

I think so far only Marietta and Manchester would be Pool C's and Case in the conversation in Pool B/C. And that's pretty much what matters. Maybe I should change this to "sizing up" the region and invite more discussion on conference races and such in addition to Pool B and C...because probably the #8 team in the region isn't getting a postseason bid without a conference championship.

Mulvey certainly could start now. If he does, I imagine he'll see a few relief stints before the trip to Heidelberg. Byers would be on his 4th day...you count the day you pitch.

Of course with the weather as it's been, it's hard to count on much!

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Spence on April 02, 2013, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: EttaFan1 on April 02, 2013, 08:03:16 AM

I can't pick between Case, Wittenberg, LaRoche, Otterbein, Heidelberg, etc. They've all either got really good records against some suspect schedules, or quite a few losses against good schedules.

I think so far only Marietta and Manchester would be Pool C's and Case in the conversation in Pool B/C. And that's pretty much what matters. Maybe I should change this to "sizing up" the region and invite more discussion on conference races and such in addition to Pool B and C...because probably the #8 team in the region isn't getting a postseason bid without a conference championship.

Mulvey certainly could start now. If he does, I imagine he'll see a few relief stints before the trip to Heidelberg. Byers would be on his 4th day...you count the day you pitch.

Of course with the weather as it's been, it's hard to count on much!
OWU has played or will play all these teams in the next few weeks so I will get to see them up close. My son will probably start one of the Witt games but won't see more than a few innings maybe, against the others. OWU split with Case. The first game was good and both teams were competitive. The second game not so much so. First inning was good second OK but then the wheels fell off of OWU's pitching. 

jos s

i was impressed with the OWU team...solid group.

Case controls it's own destiny ....with upcoming games vs wooster...oberlin...JCU...depauw....washington and jefferson and marrietta

not sure if many other schools have played the sced that Case has thus far, and hopefully winning the UAA league tourney for the first time in school history will also get them the respect of the voters come playoff time.