WBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BedtimeForBonzo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedtimeForBonzo

Like the front page says, it's a real head scratcher.  Maybe Ruder got tired of the snow, or wanted to try a league a little less competitive than the WIAC.  It's a coup by the Pirates in any case.  

It will be interesting to see how much the SW program improves, especially given what I imagine are somewhat higher academic standards in Georgetown than in Oshkosh.  Not to mention a whole lot smaller student body (9K at UW-O vs about 1300 at Southwestern).  It goes without saying they'll be better.

Titan 2000

Oshkosh is a good school.  Don't blow that BS on here.

Pat Coleman

Most recent Oshkosh incoming class: ACT scores over 24 34%; ACT scores over 30 2%
Most recent Southwestern incoming class: ACT scores over 24 85%; ACT scores over 30 19%

Southwestern seems to be a better school. Nobody said Oshkosh was a BAD school, T2k -- perhaps that chip on your shoulder is affecting your reading.

BedtimeForBonzo

And, courtesy of collegeboard.com:

Southwestern:
   * 47% in top 10th of graduating class
   * 83% in top quarter of graduating class

UW-Oshkosh:
   * 11% in top 10th of graduating class
   * 39% in top quarter of graduating class

Next?

scaccommish

Some breaking news out of San Antonio - courtesy of Trinity Sports Information:

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

TRINITY'S GEYER RESIGNS AS WOMEN'S BASKETBALL HEAD COACH

SAN ANTONIO – Becky Geyer has resigned as head women's basketball coach after 13 seasons at Trinity University to accept a position of assistant coach at the University of Central Florida.

Geyer, who led the Tigers to the NCAA Division III Championship in 2003, will join the staff of the Division I Golden Knights in Orlando.

Trinity's Director of Athletics Bob King said the university will immediately begin a national search to fill the position.

"Our plan is to find a replacement for Coach Geyer who will continue her legacy of success in Division III women's basketball at the national and conference levels," King said. "I want to thank Becky for her enormous contribution to Trinity athletics and wish her all the best in reaching her career goals. Today, not only did Trinity lose a head coach, we also lost our recruiting coordinator, Brad Durchslag, who accepted an assistant's position at Carnegie Melon University."

Geyer amassed an overall record of 229-107 (68.2 percent), but took the Tigers to a 77-13 mark (85.6 percent) over the past three years. The record included a 28-5 finish during the national championship season. Under Geyer's guidance, Trinity earned bids to the NCAA tournament four times, in 1995, 1996, 2003 and 2005. She was twice elected the Molton/Women's DIII News National Coach of the Year, in 1995 and 2003.  

"It's a new challenge for me at an up-and-coming Division I program," said Geyer, selected as the 2003 San Antonio Express-News Sportswoman of the Year. "I have had great relationships with the athletes and coaches at Trinity. The athletes I worked with are fine young ladies. We've enjoyed so many special memories. Winning a national championship was pretty cool, too."

hopefan

I'm sorry, this seems to me to be a real case of jumping ship - what happens to Lauren Andrews, who did the program a favor by agreeing to play last year, and is the only returning starter - the super senior class graduates, and the head coach who had a national championship team and was on D3 national commitees leaves for an assistant's job!!!???  I feel bad for the returning kids, especially Lauren, if she plays this year, and the tough times to come.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

tufan

hopefan - not sure about your facts. 1) jenny farrar is also a returning starter. She had 12-10 against Greensboro and 10-12 against RMAC. She's certainly no slouch, plus she was a contributing member, as a freshman, to the team that won the national championship. In addition, keep your eye on Martha King this year.  

I wouldn't feel too bad for the returning kids, knowing the athletic department, they are going to find a darn good coach.  

As for Coach Geyer, "jumping ship," if her dream is to be a head coach at the division I level, she has to start somewhere. an assistant coaching position for a C-USA team (in 06-07) is a good place to be.

Pat Coleman

Shoot, Geyer was there for more than a dozen years. She's entitled to move on. I guess I'm somewhat surprised that she couldn't pull down a D-I head coaching job, but there haven't been a lot of jumps like that and with Julie Goodenough not having a lot of success with the leap from Hardin-Simmons to Oklahoma State, such opportunities might be harder to come by.

BedtimeForBonzo

Dag, we'll miss her.  Coach Geyer took a program with zero tradition and turned it into one of the best in the country.  I hope this works out for her.  She's going to be hard to replace; too bad we couldn't have gotten the UW-O coach, Ruder, who is now at Southwestern.  Definite change in the SCAC power structure next year, like there wasn't going to be one already.    

"Jumping ship" ?  Pah.  I'm greatful that Geyer stayed here as long as she did.   She was on the short list for a D-I job last year if memory serves, so this shouldn't come as a shock.

hopefan

Sorry regarding error on Farrar; I was thinking 4 seniors plus Andrews.  Still, My thoughts were that Coach Geyer was so solid at Trinity, just hard to think of an assistant's position at a low level D1 school.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

BedtimeForBonzo

According to Sunday's http://www.d3hoops.com/dailydose/?p=48" target=_top>Daily Dose, DPU women's coach Kris Huffman is one of the finalists for the open UW-Oshkosh position.  That would really throw the SCAC women's race into turmoil next year, with new coaches at both Trinity and DPU as well as Southwestern.  

The decision (there are three other finalists) is expected by the end of the month.   The question to ask: why would Huffman be interested in what seems a lateral move ?

BedtimeForBonzo

In http://www.d3hoops.com/notables.php" target=_top>Notables, Trinity has named Jenna Smith's sister, Amie Smith Bradley, to replace Becky Geyer.  She comes to TU from Bishop Lynch HS, where she was an assistant, as well as coaching in the AAU ...

Roaring 00's

I'm new to the board this year. After reading up on some of the previous posts, there's been plenty of action/changes within the SCAC. What's the outlook on all the teams in the league? Trinity and DePauw lost some key people, it's RHIT's last year, S'western has a new coach, Hendrix has a strong returning senior class, and everyone else in the league could make a run. Any thoughts on the season... anyone know any new faces (freshman) that might make immediate impacts for their team?

kevin mchale

D3 Stat Freaks:

What is the age of the youngest woman to have coached a D3 team?

Reason for asking... Trinity '04 grad Gen Schmitt takes job at UD...

Ron Boerger

UD likes to hire Trinity grads.  Back when they were talking about starting club FB, they "hired" a Trinity-ex to coach the team. 

Sorry I cannot answer your question.   :(