BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gramps

The Berg traveled to Wittenberg for a DH under the lights last night and came away with two W's.  Game 1 was 12-4 and game 2 was 9-3.  Just got home from the 3 hour drive, will supply details later this morning.    By the way, the Berg's record is now 31-7.  Congrats to Coach Matt Palm and the entire team.

Dr. Acula

I don't think enough can be said about the job Palm has done and continues to do.  Berg was quite literally a mess when he got there.  If you need evidence, take a look at the career coaching records from about 1980 until Palm came to town in 2000.  They were winning at almost dead on a .300 clip.  Not exactly a program on the rise.  I think one thing that helped was when he arrived he found some talent there.  I recall playing Berg in 00-01 and Frank Balogh was one of the best guys to ever play for them.  I don't remember if Fischer was a senior Palm's 1st year or not, but I feel like he was.  Regardless, he quickly got the momentum going and it seemed like over night, taught those guys how to win and how to expect to win.  The difference between 1998 Berg and 2001 Berg was sick.  They just had a swagger about them.  It was great to see because you knew that all it took was a great young coach to scrap a couple decades of futility.  Unfortunately, no other OAC schools have duplicated the success (although JCU has a very good young coach, they weren't in the condition Berg was in).  I won't say that Palm walked into the worst situation, but it's not like he walked into Marietta (the stadium, the titles, the tradition) or even an Otterbein or JCU (nice program, great location to recruit kids to).  We're talking about convincing kids to come to Tiffin to play for a .300 program.  That is unbelievable.  He sold that program and he's backed it up.  Congratulations to Coach Palm.  He most certainly deserves it.

Gramps

Boy, was it cold in Springfield last night, but only for the fans, as the Berg was red hot with a DH sweep of Wittnberg, 12-4 and 9-3.

In Game 1, B. Koehl turned in a fine game going 6 innings with 1 Run, 4 Hits and 2 K's for the W. Senor B. Hartman pitched the last inning.
Top Hitters were: G. Keene, 4-5, 2 RBI's, 1 Runs;  M. Grassley, 3-5, 2 RBI's, 2 Runs; B. Boytim, 3-5, 1 RBI, 1 Run; R. Lizcano, 3-4, 2 Runs; J. Wentworth, 2-5, 3 RBI's 3 Runs.

E. Williams, 4-0, started Game 2 and allowed only 1 Hit with 3 Ks over the first 5 innings.  Getting in some work were pitchers N. James, B. Stucky, M. Jones, and A. Lowe.
Hitting was supplied by G. Keene, 2-5, 2 RBI's, 1 Run; J. Lash, 2-4, 2 RBI's, 1 Run; J. Wentworth, 2-5, 2 Runs.

Sat. 5-2-09 vs John Carroll, Away.  Games at 1:00PM and 4:00PM.

GO BERGS!!!

Gramps

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 29, 2009, 10:25:21 AM
I don't think enough can be said about the job Palm has done and continues to do.  Berg was quite literally a mess when he got there.  If you need evidence, take a look at the career coaching records from about 1980 until Palm came to town in 2000.  They were winning at almost dead on a .300 clip.  Not exactly a program on the rise.  I think one thing that helped was when he arrived he found some talent there.  I recall playing Berg in 00-01 and Frank Balogh was one of the best guys to ever play for them.  I don't remember if Fischer was a senior Palm's 1st year or not, but I feel like he was.  Regardless, he quickly got the momentum going and it seemed like over night, taught those guys how to win and how to expect to win.  The difference between 1998 Berg and 2001 Berg was sick.  They just had a swagger about them.  It was great to see because you knew that all it took was a great young coach to scrap a couple decades of futility.  Unfortunately, no other OAC schools have duplicated the success (although JCU has a very good young coach, they weren't in the condition Berg was in).  I won't say that Palm walked into the worst situation, but it's not like he walked into Marietta (the stadium, the titles, the tradition) or even an Otterbein or JCU (nice program, great location to recruit kids to).  We're talking about convincing kids to come to Tiffin to play for a .300 program.  That is unbelievable.  He sold that program and he's backed it up.  Congratulations to Coach Palm.  He most certainly deserves it.
I have only been involved with the Heidelberg Baseball program for the past two seasons and the vibrancy and the enthusiasm that Coach Palm brings to the playing field rubs off on his players. But not only to the players, it also spread to the familys and fans of the players who come out to encourage not only their respective favorite players, but the team as a whole.  We are all truly a family , sometimes out numbering  home team fans at away games.  Coach Palm has brought out the best into the whole Baseball experience for all envolved.

old scot

Just my opinion on why Matt Palm has had success at Heileberg. He learned how to win when he played at Wooster. He learned how the game was supposed to be played, he saw what kind of student/athlete it takes to win, and he instilled a winning attitude. Great coaches are made. I'm sure he took what he learned along the way and tweaked it with his own personal touch. It gives me great pleasure to see an ex-Scot succeed.

Topic for debate: How are the Student Princes ranked ahead of the Scots in the region rankings? Their overall records are similar and Wooster has beat the Berg in 2 out of 3 this year.

mideastfan2

Quote from: old scot on April 29, 2009, 06:10:41 PM
Just my opinion on why Matt Palm has had success at Heileberg. He learned how to win when he played at Wooster. He learned how the game was supposed to be played, he saw what kind of student/athlete it takes to win, and he instilled a winning attitude. Great coaches are made. I'm sure he took what he learned along the way and tweaked it with his own personal touch. It gives me great pleasure to see an ex-Scot succeed.

+1

couldn't have said it better.  It just shows that coming from a strong program can lead to GREAT things.

Fischer was a SR in 2000.  He won the OAC player of the year award, and helped turn the program in the right direction, along with Balogh.  Fisher's POY was debateable, as Coakly hit .450 with 19 HR's, and 93 RBI's that year....but it was still deserved.  Both catchers were GREAT players, and guys like Fischer helped pave the way for what HEID has become today!

Dr. Acula

Ugh...Jay Coakley.  My neck hurts just reading that name!!  That guy hit LASERS.

Without question Palm's pedigree has played a big role in his success.  Coach P has to be proud of him. 

mideast, are there any young Pioneer alums coaching?  Just wondering if there's a chance they could land in the OAC elsewhere at some point.  Maybe some of the lower level teams would be looking to catch lightning in a bottle like Berg did.  Or better yet, maybe one of the perennial .500 teams will finally get sick of being mediocre and make a change. 

mideastfan2

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 29, 2009, 11:32:20 PM
Ugh...Jay Coakley.  My neck hurts just reading that name!!  That guy hit LASERS.

Without question Palm's pedigree has played a big role in his success.  Coach P has to be proud of him. 

mideast, are there any young Pioneer alums coaching?  Just wondering if there's a chance they could land in the OAC elsewhere at some point.  Maybe some of the lower level teams would be looking to catch lightning in a bottle like Berg did.  Or better yet, maybe one of the perennial .500 teams will finally get sick of being mediocre and make a change. 

the only one I can think of would be Deegan, who is currently the head assistant at MC (and has been since 2004).   He was a 2001 MC grad and a great player....he could turn around an OAC school is given the chance.

The region is full of those types of guys right now, with Jeff Mountain (Allegheny, 2000) coaching at Wshington & Jefferson, and Tyler Mott (OWU, 2003 i think) at OWU.

Gramps

Just one more thing to add about Coach Palm.  With every thing that has influenced his baseball career, it would never have gotten off the ground without the support and encouragement of his parents during his formative years and now.  They still attend most games and also help in forming the family atmosphere for the team and the fans.
And certainly, you have to add in his wife and children, as they are a constant source of support.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: mideastfan2 on April 30, 2009, 12:14:04 AMthe only one I can think of would be Deegan, who is currently the head assistant at MC (and has been since 2004).   He was a 2001 MC grad and a great player....he could turn around an OAC school is given the chance.

The region is full of those types of guys right now, with Jeff Mountain (Allegheny, 2000) coaching at Wshington & Jefferson, and Tyler Mott (OWU, 2003 i think) at OWU.

I know the ONU coaching staff has been a topic on here this season, but on some level I like that ONU rolled the dice with a young coach.  I guess it depends on where you fall as an athletic dept.  There are some schools that are undeniably content with being .500 programs (the length of time their respective coaches have been there is such overwhelming evidence that you can't even argue against it).  I like that ONU said "Screw it, we're shaking things up and we're either going up or down, but we're going to take a chance."  Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.  I just like the will to get to the top. 

What the Berg situation should do is give everyone hope.  Why can't my school or your school be the new Berg?  The OAC isn't like 10 years ago when it was Etta going 18-0 and everyone else hoping to just get a weekend at Pioneer Park playing for 2nd to end their season.  Will Berg be the favorite going into the OAC tourney?  Of course.  But let's say it's Berg, Etta, JCU and Ott...are you telling me you would say one of those teams has no chance to win it?  JCU just keeps winning, Etta already swept Berg in Tiffin and Ott seems to be peaking. 

I guess the point of this rant is that the kids all think they can compete and win, but the message comes from the school.  When you continue on your path and keep getting the same results it becomes second nature.  When you do what ONU did you're at least saying you want to get away from that and the best way is to take a chance.  And if that chance fails, then just call "dibs" on Deegan and try again.   

old scot

OAC fans, show some moxie!!! No one has answered my question of why is Heidelberg ranked ahead of Wooster in the region rankings? Wooster owns a 2 games to one advantage in head to head play and their overall records are equal. What is your opinion of why "it is what it is".

mideastfan2

Quote from: old scot on April 30, 2009, 11:05:17 PM
OAC fans, show some moxie!!! No one has answered my question of why is Heidelberg ranked ahead of Wooster in the region rankings? Wooster owns a 2 games to one advantage in head to head play and their overall records are equal. What is your opinion of why "it is what it is".

I haven't answered to this point b/c honestly, it doesn't matter until THE LAST REGIONAL rankings come out.  I've been around long enough to know that rankings and such just don't always make sense b/c thy are done somewhat subjectively by a committee of coaches who haven't seen every team play every game.

I've also seen teams ranked #1 heading into the last week, they odn't lose a single game that week, and then drop to #2 in the final regional rankings before the Tournament Selection Sunday....it's just hard to figure it all out.

old scot

Mid East, I appreceate  your responce. I'll never figure out the the rankings. I'm guessing that if your ranked in the top 2 in region, you'll get a pool C bid even if you don't win the auto-bid in your conference tourney.

ScotsFan

Quote from: old scot on April 30, 2009, 11:42:22 PM
Mid East, I appreceate  your responce. I'll never figure out the the rankings. I'm guessing that if your ranked in the top 2 in region, you'll get a pool C bid even if you don't win the auto-bid in your conference tourney.
My guess would be that Wooster and the Berg should both be considered Pool C locks at this point if they happen to not win the automatic bids from their respective conferences. 

Personally, I don't put as much stock into the regional rankings in baseball as I do, say, in basketball.  This is because the regional hosts are already predetermined in baseball. Whereas in basketball, the team ranked #1 regionally usually has the inside track at hosting at least one weekend in the NCAA tournament.  And as far as using the rankings for seeding in the regional tournament, there doesn't seem to be a large gap anymore
between the higher seeds and the lower seeds in the Mideast Region anymore.  You need not look any further than last year when Adrian (a five seed) avanced out of the Mideast Regional to the CWS.

I guess I just don't see what advantage there is to being ranked #1 or #2 except bragging rights...

Quote from: old scot on April 30, 2009, 11:05:17 PM

As for oldscot's question about why the Berg is ranked ahead of Wooster even thogh Wooster owns a 2-1 advantage head to head?  Head to head is just one of several criterea the ranking committee uses when determining the rankings.  Regional strenth of schedule seems to carry more weight than head to head results and  I would definitely say that the Berg has the edge when it comes to SOS or whatever formula the committee uses to determine who has the more difficult schedule.  With Wooster and the Berg having identical regional records, the edge is almost always going to go to the OAC school because the OAC is far deeper and allows for higher numbers to be added into whatever SOS formula is being used than Wooster can hope for playing in the weaker NCAC.

old scot

ScotsFan,
       Good explanation on why Heileberg is ranked ahead of Wooster in the regional rankings. Strength of schedule must hold a lot of weight.
Personally, I put more importance on head to head match ups.