BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Massillon finally went public w/ their choice of Gilhousen.  Just waiting on the red tape of BOE approval now.

Inde article

JK

Just noticed that Weyrich's bio has been taken off the "coaching staff" section of the baseball page on capital.edu.

Guess that means it's official that he isn't coming back next year...

Dr. Acula

Nice catch JK.  I didn't see anything posted on their site or elsewhere as of yet as far as the opening goes.

I've said in the past that I thought the Cap job was a good one, especially for a young up and coming coach.  But based on some the discussions on here about the overall direction of the athletic department as a whole at the university I'm not sure what to think these days.   

Dr. Acula

Capital's Head Coaching position is officially posted on ncaa.org now.  And yes, it is advertised as a part-time position.  Does anyone know how Cap did it in the past? 

Job Posting

JK

Thinking back, I think it has always been a part time position.  The HC when I was there, Jeff Bricker, had another job.  I know some guys actually worked for him in the summers.  Weyrich had another job...ran his own construction company.

That's a lot of hours to put in for a part time gig with recruiting, practice, fall ball, spring trip, regular season, weight training and conditioning, etc..

Dr. Acula

Without question, a lot of time for part time.  It would be extremely hard to have another job just because of when you would have to be on campus.  Plus all the time recruiting and keeping up w/ your guys grades, etc.  During the spring it would be next to impossible.  You essentially couldn't work another job on game days.  You almost have to have someone like Weyrich that worked for himself.  I know at MUC Hesse taught a couple classes and also had an admin role (Asst. AD or something) so he was in essence full time at MUC.  Obviously Palm is the AD at Berg.  Not sure about the others (although I'm sure the job is full time at Etta...they don't mess around).

oacfan

Brewer is assistant AD and teaches some classes at Marietta.

Dr. Acula

^^^  Makes sense. 

Fisher (BW) is the head of the Health/PE Dept, so he's a professor.  Thompson (Musky) teaches some classes. 

Dr. Acula

Denison is looking for a new HC.  This isn't good news for Cap as that program is in better shape than Cap's and it's also a full time position.  Hopefully it will not affect Cap's ability to bring in a quality guy. 

Bump

Quote from: Dr. Acula on June 27, 2009, 04:35:53 PM
Denison is looking for a new HC.  This isn't good news for Cap as that program is in better shape than Cap's and it's also a full time position.  Hopefully it will not effect Cap's ability to bring in a quality guy. 

Wow

Denison had two players from my son's high school on the team. They were twins one is a pitcher the other a 2nd baseman. I believe the kid that played 2nd made an all-league team this year as a freshman. Hope it doesn't effect them.

Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies!! - Lewis Grizzard

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for $5 a hole with only $2 in your pocket.  – Lee Trevino

Dr. Acula

Bump, I hope it doesn't affect the kids at Denison either, but it doesn't sound great in Granville based on what DenisonFan posted on the NCAC thread.  Sounds like things are a little messy.  It's a shame.

From the "take it w/ a grain of salt" dept:

I was perusing another message board and a poster said that the Cap job had been narrowed to 3 candidates, but no concrete word on if/when interviews or decision will happen.  Take that for what you will based on the "source".  Hey, it's almost July...I'm grasping at straws at this point.   ;D

Dr. Acula

I saw Greg Ferrell (MUC) was named Player of the Week in the Great Lakes League after hitting .571 last week.  Here are how some OAC guys are doing in the league thus far.  These are the guys that seem to be playing a good amount.

Lowe (Berg):   7 app, 10 IP, 0-1, 0.00 ERA, 1 H, 9K, .030 Opp BA

Koehl (Berg):   2 starts, 13 IP, 2-0, 1.38 ERA, 5th in league in ERA

D. Jones (Etta):   10 games/8 starts, .241 BA

Hiscox (Ott):   12 games/9 starts, .185 BA

Ferrell (MUC):   19 games/18 starts, .359 BA, 9 2B, 8/9 SB, 9th in league in BA

LaCorte (Ott):   6 app/3 starts, 19 IP, 3-2, 5.21 ERA, 16 K

Buckley

Does anyone know when Capital intends to make a decision by? 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Buckley on July 14, 2009, 08:03:40 PM
Does anyone know when Capital intends to make a decision by? 

I would hope in the next 2 weeks.  I've heard that they have it down to 2 candidates.

JK

Dr. Ac

Did you catch the news on the football board about Cap's OC, Manny Matsakis, leaving?

As per our discussion following the Weyrich departure, add Manny to the list of "suspicious" departures.  Manny was another Capital grad, hired last year, who left with little or no warning.  Can't say I am too sorry to see him go after the debacle in the last half of last season, but it still adds to the list of Welsh, Collins, Reich, and Weyrich.

At least Damon and Dixie are still there.  But, at this rate, maybe we should be asking ourselves "for how much longer?"