MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Augie trails 41-35 at the half.  I'd have to see a replay, but I don't think the Capital 3 beat the buzzer.

GoPerry

Wheaton 78  Wooster 70

What a game by the Thunder.  One of their very best defensive outings all season.  Wheaton dominated the board battle ( words rarely uttered this season) +11, 43-32 and the offensive glass +5, 11-6.   Francis an astonishingly inefficient 43 pts on 13-33 shooting, 5-18 trey – had 30 out of Wheaton's 40 second half points.  But he did everything else, collecting 12 rebounds and as an 87% ft shooter, did his Mariano Rivera in closing it out at the foul line down the stretch.  Big shoutout to Kobe Eichelberger who came in with defensive energy and some key rebounding.  He's a guy who started all last year, saw his minutes dwindle this season coming off the bench, and tonight made some key plays to help his team beat a really good Wooster team.

Wheaton never really stopped Danyon Hempe who ended up with 28 pts on 8-12 shooting but 9-12 from the line – a very smooth offensively gifted player.  Reece Dupler was equally troublesome for Wheaton but they defended him well in the last 6-7 mins of the game.  I'm just not sure the Scots ever acclimated to the tough D Wheaton threw at them.

Third time re-match with Augustana imminent.  Let's hope it's at Carver (King- maybe??) instead of Ohio.

GoPerry

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 02, 2019, 08:48:29 PM
NCC up 38-34 at the half.

Watching this on my second screen.  Looks like a football game - super physical.

Gregory Sager

The airplane hangar must be a zoo. I hear a lot of Loras fans there.

Meredith picked up his fourth foul almost immediately after the second half began. The Cardinals will be in for the fight of their lives without him.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

shepherd

Nebraska Wesleyan St. Thomas game in North Central quad. 
St. Thomas playing old Detroit Pistons style absolutely mauling the Nebraska Wes. players.  Each team with 2 techs.  Absolute bad refereeing.
Too bad they don't have crews like the Wheaton women had last night doing the mens games.  I have seen that crew a couple times and they always do a great job.

Something needs to be done with the mens games playoffs as these crews are so haphazzard not calling a charge then calling one.  These teams put too much in for the refs to screw up these close games!

Gregory Sager

Augustana 85
Capital 79

Augie's drive-and-kick proved to be the tonic for the Doggies in the second half of this one.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Loras 84
North Central 82

The Cardinals fought valiantly in this one after losing Meredith early to foul disqualification -- Connor Raridon's 29-point, 17-17 FT performance was epic -- but the Cards never got over the hump. Loras just had an answer every time and maintained a small lead for basically the whole second half. The Dukawks halfcourt execution was a thing of beauty.

GoPerry

Augustana  85 Capital 79

Augie continues to do what they do. You think you might have them - but no panic, come back steady, get the lead and extend.

GoPerry

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 02, 2019, 09:52:31 PM
Loras 84
North Central 82

The Cardinals fought valiantly in this one after losing Meredith early to foul disqualification -- Connor Raridon's 29-point, 17-17 FT performance was epic -- but the Cards never got over the hump. Loras just had an answer every time and maintained a small lead for basically the whole second half. The Dukawks halfcourt execution was a thing of beauty.

This was truly a well played game from both sides.  Outstanding game to watch between 2 great teams.

I'd heard about Josh Ruggles.  But Ryan Dicanio was awesome.  Loras displaying really great discipline. 

I saw a lot of purple in the stands.  A lot of Duhawks from the Chicago area, Wheaton specifically.  They saw their team come through in a big way.

Tough one for NCC but at least they didn't play poorly.  They just got beat tonight by a very good team.  That's all.

augiefan

Actually Nolan Ebel was the second half tonic for Augie. He came up big with a team high 27 points most in the second half. Augie really struggled to pull this one out but a win no matter how narrow is the goal.

Not looking forward to facing A. Francis again. Very tough to beat a team as good as Wheaton 3 times in one season. Hopefully Titan G is right about the games being in R I.

Really wanted all 3 CCIW teams to make the Sweet 16. It sounds like Meredith's foul trouble was a big factor in then NCC liss. On the bright side NCC will be the odds on favorite to win the CCIW next season with their 3 stars all returning, while the other top 4 conference teams lose an incredible group of seniors.

GoPerry

Dave, Ryan and Gordon - Great job on Whiparound these last two nights!  Thank you.  For the love of the game . . .

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 02, 2019, 09:07:45 PM
The airplane hangar must be a zoo. I hear a lot of Loras fans there.

"Zoo" is a good word to describe it. I don't think I've ever heard it louder in there... and I've been to a handful of games where it was really loud. My wife and almost two year old son came tonight, and my son was kinda traumatized by all the noise sitting a couple rows behind me. He and my dad eventually moved upstairs and I guess it was fine up there.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 02, 2019, 09:52:31 PM

That's pretty much it. The official scorer and I said to each other a couple times down the stretch, "Need a stop here," and Loras proceeded to score pretty much every time. North Central played well; Loras just played better. They earned the win... but doesn't mean this didn't hurt.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

markerickson

Greg and others:  How good is the Loras backcourt compared to CCIW pairs?
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Gregory Sager

Loras doesn't have a backcourt pair; the Duhawks have a three-guard lineup in Ryan DiCanio, Josh Ruggles, and Demond George. That makes it hard to compare the Duhawks to Augustana, which has a traditional two-guard lineup. In terms of comparable teams, I wouldn't take them over Wheaton's backcourt trio of Francis, Adom, and Peters, but there aren't many other backcourt trios in D3 that I've seen that can match that Loras triumvirate.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: GoPerry on March 02, 2019, 10:42:09 PM
Dave, Ryan and Gordon - Great job on Whiparound these last two nights!  Thank you.  For the love of the game . . .

Thank you. Did what we could. Wish we could do more.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.