Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenoshamark

Pathetic!!!!

You lose by 30 at home on senior night

This is on Bosko.

Time for a change !!!!  Let Steve take over the program

Titan Q

If North Central beats IWU in Bloomington Tuesday, Augustana wins the tie-breaker (because Augie has swept NCC).  So a huge game for the Titans.

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 17, 2018, 10:02:25 PM
Quote from: kiko on February 17, 2018, 09:55:16 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 17, 2018, 09:53:26 PM
North Central 72
Wheaton 55

Aston Francis scored 20, but he was 5-24 from the field.

The surprising thing about this game was that NCC won fairly easily in spite of the fact that Alex Sorenson fouled out with over nine minutes left in the game.

He went to the bench with four fouls at that point, then came back in the final two minutes.  The Cardinals won fairly easily because Wheaton shot horribly for most of the game.

NCC"s live stats screwed up, then, because they had Sorenson fouling out at the 9:17 mark, I believe.

Wheaton's live stats, you mean...

Kovo

Quote from: iwumichigander on February 17, 2018, 10:13:44 PM
And a clap of THUNDER from on high Kovo as a reminder Wheatin no longer the Crusaders  ;D :D

Make up whatever name you wish---they will always be the Crusaders to me---------politically correct or not!

GoPerry

NCC 72, Wheaton 55

Aston Francis         20 pts, 8 rebs, 3 assts, 2 stls
Kobe Eichelberger      10 pts, 9 rebs,
Zack Kvam         10 pts
Ricky Samuelson      7 pts, 5 rebs

Aiden Chang         20 pts,
Matt Cappelletti      16 pts 6 rebs
Connor Raridon      13 pts, 10 rebs, 6 assts

As mentioned before, when Wheaton #1 is not hitting his shots, then there's no margin for error anywhere else on the team.  Kobe Eichelberger did not play up to his normal form of late and Ricky Samuelson had his second straight pretty poor shooting night and was mostly ineffective.  After those three, the Thunder realistically are not that deep offensively.  Still, Francis makes the machine go and his shooting was just plain awful.  This is not to take away from the solid defensive play of Aiden Change(more on him later) who stuck to Francis very closely throughout.  But Francis still got off plenty of shots that Thunder fans are used to seeing him make and tonight, nothing, not even close in layups, was falling.

Alex Sorenson picked up his 2nd foul with about 12 mins left in the first half and went to the bench.  That the Thunder were not able to take advantage of that spelled doom.  The Cards played terrificly without Sorenson, notably running everything through Raridon in the post.  NCC finished the half with an 11-0 run, from 30-29 to 41-29 at halftime.  The constant foul trouble really neutralized Sorenson.

The Thunder were able to get within 7 pts in the 2nd half but that was as close as they got.  Francis hit a couple baskets and began to go to the line regularly.  Todd Raridon then decided to run a double team to get the ball out of this hands before he could heat up.  It was effective as NCC went right back out to a 13 pt advantage. Wheaton simply couldn't hit enough shots.  Credit to NCC for the defensive adjustments.

Connor Raridon played great while Sorenson was out.

However, the man of the hour was Aiden Chang who had an absolutely terrific game offensively while bearing the brunt of guarding Francis and was an object of the football team's chiding and jeering.  Most everyone on this board knows the quality of player he is on a team of really good players. But I give him all the credit in the world – his team got the win, he scored the key buckets, and he deservedly gets the last laugh (which he did in spades in staring down the Thunder student section and the Thunder bench several times once the game was in hand). 

A must-win at Carroll on Tuesday.  Then hopefully a road win vs the CCIW tourney host in their building.  That still might not be enough but they must do this at a minimum in my mind to stay in the RR.

iwumichigander

Quote from: kenoshamark on February 17, 2018, 10:56:46 PM
Pathetic!!!!

You lose by 30 at home on senior night

This is on Bosko.

Time for a change !!!!  Let Steve take over the program
On Bosko?  I don't agree.  How does anyone expect any coach to overcome 8-26 FG and 2-10 3pt in the first half? Bosko tried everything in the first half except put a uni on Stevie D  :o
Go to the bench?  The bench scored 9 points over 40 minutes.  Make adjustments - he did at half time IWU 40 Carthage 37 in second half.

GoPerry

Congratulations to seniors Zack Kvam, Ricky Samuelson, Mark Champion and team student-manager Braedy Sandvig all four of whom were honored tonight and special words by Mike Schauer.   Thank you for representing Wheaton well and we wish you success in your future endeavors.

kenoshamark

Michigander,

More to come tomorrow. Maybe if you don't lost to Carroll and Elmhurst its a mute point.  This team had four players who were either returning all conference players or who potentially deserve to be all conference this year and you lost by 30 at home on SENIOR night! Sorry, not buying it.

His record over the last 15 years is below average for a hall of fame coach. I will provide the facts tomorrow. They tied for conference last year with too much coming back to not make the tourney.

Doubt that Ron Rose would get a pass for the same record Bosko has in the last 15 years. Is he a HOF coach, answer is yes for what he accomplished. That's in the past !!!!

This is my opinion. If people want to smite me, then have the guts to provide why you disagree. Michangander, glad to have you respond whether you were the one to smite or not. Appreciate your comments. That's why we have this board

Mr. Ypsi

In case this thread veers back to HOF, please don't forget the multi-sport athletes.  My hero freshman year (when he was a senior), was Steve Laub (1963-67), quarterback, point guard, and key baseball player (I'm having trouble on either IWUsports or CCIW.org finding any information from over 50 years ago, but believe he was either shortstop or catcher - I recall he was one of the key defensive positions, but didn't follow IWU baseball). 

He was a second and first team all-conference in basketball (and FWIW I recall Dennis Prikkel saying he was the toughest SOB he ever saw - simply wouldn't ALLOW IWU to lose).  In football, he was the leading passer 3 straight years (though in the days when passing was VASTLY less than today) and the offensive POY one year.  (Apparently the CCIW didn't have all-conference teams back then - not on the website, at least.)  I could find nothing on either the IWU or CCIW websites about his baseball career, but my (fading) memory says he was all-conference there as well.  If there has ever been a better three-sport athlete (and always at the most key positions), I don't know who it would be.

Titan Q

Titan Q

Standings Through Feb 18
Illinois Wesleyan 12-3  (vs North Central)
Augustana 11-4  (vs Elmhurst)
North Central 10-5  (at Illinois Wesleyan)
Wheaton 10-5  (at Carroll)

#1 and #2 Seed Implications (only IWU and Augie can finish 1/2)
* If IWU wins, the Titans are the #1 seed and the tournament is in Bloomington

* If IWU loses and Augie wins, the Vikings are the #1 seed and the tournament is in Rock Island (and co-champ IWU is #2)

* Augie owns the tie-breaker over North Central (sweep) -- so Augie wins an 11-5 tie with NCC

* Augie also owns the tie-breaker over Wheaton (via sweep of NCC) -- so Augie wins an 11-5 tie with Wheaton

* Augie wins a 3-way tie with Wheaton and NCC (3 wins within the group)

#3 and #4 Seed Implications
* NCC owns the tie-breaker over Wheaton (sweep)...so if a tie in the final standings, NCC is #3 and Wheaton #4

lmitzel

Quote from: Titan Q on February 18, 2018, 08:20:50 AM
Wheaton student section "taunting profiles" for last night's game vs NCC...

https://twitter.com/AlexSCOREnson/status/965077257558675456

I have to give them props for doing in depth scouting reports.

Quote from: Titan Q on February 18, 2018, 08:46:42 AM
Standings Through Feb 18
Illinois Wesleyan 12-3  (vs North Central)
Augustana 11-4  (vs Elmhurst)
North Central 10-5  (at Illinois Wesleyan)
Wheaton 10-5  (at Carroll)

#1 and #2 Seed Implications (only IWU and Augie can finish 1/2)
* If IWU wins, the Titans are the #1 seed and the tournament is in Bloomington

* If IWU loses and Augie wins, the Vikings are the #1 seed and the tournament is in Rock Island (and co-champ IWU is #2)

* Augie owns the tie-breaker over North Central (sweep) -- so Augie wins an 11-5 tie with NCC

* Augie also owns the tie-breaker over Wheaton (via sweep of NCC) -- so Augie wins an 11-5 tie with Wheaton

* Augie wins a 3-way tie with Wheaton and NCC (3 wins within the group)

#3 and #4 Seed Implications
* NCC owns the tie-breaker over Wheaton (sweep)...so if a tie in the final standings, NCC is #3 and Wheaton #4

After back to back years of a spot still needing to be filled combined with NCC having no control over its own destiny last year it's nice to have such simple scenarios this time around.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Titan Q

Good look at Pool C...

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4232.msg1857978#msg1857978

It looks like this:

* Augie is in great shape - with a win Tuesday, the Vikings are a Pool C lock (even with a loss on Friday in CCIW tournament)

* IWU is in good shape - with a win Tuesday, the Titans are almost a Pool C lock (even with a loss Friday in CCIW tournament)

* Wheaton and NCC seem to be extreme Pool C longshots

Titan Q

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 17, 2018, 10:00:23 PM
I suspect that Francis is still a heavy favorite for MOP

I think pretty good chance it is a co-MOP.

Kovo

Quote from: Titan Q on February 18, 2018, 08:20:50 AM
Wheaton student section "taunting profiles" for last night's game vs NCC...

https://twitter.com/AlexSCOREnson/status/965077257558675456

Wow.  Not exactly something to make the Wheaton community proud.  Organized taunting using family members names and other personal information?  How about cheering on your team in a positive manner?  Oh, I almost forgot.........