Best DIII Stadiums

Started by hazzben, July 19, 2013, 02:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AO

Quote from: JahEazy on August 01, 2013, 03:18:04 AM

Not saying it's the best, but it's pretty new. Pacific University's Lincoln Park Stadium in Forest Grove, Ore. I mean they hosted DI Big Sky Track & Field conference championships this past season so that's gotta be saying something, right? No?
Too bad we're looking for "Football" stadiums.  You might appreciate certain aspects of D3 football over D1, but going to some of these D3 stadiums with a track, you feel like you're up in 2nd deck of most d1 stadiums.  Let's show a little respect to Track and Field programs and get them separate facilities which they have sole use of and stands that don't look empty during their meets.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: AO on August 01, 2013, 09:11:24 AM

Not saying it's the best, but it's pretty new. Pacific University's Lincoln Park Stadium in Forest Grove, Ore. I mean they hosted DI Big Sky Track & Field conference championships this past season so that's gotta be saying something, right? No?
Too bad we're looking for "Football" stadiums.  You might appreciate certain aspects of D3 football over D1, but going to some of these D3 stadiums with a track, you feel like you're up in 2nd deck of most d1 stadiums.  Let's show a little respect to Track and Field programs and get them separate facilities which they have sole use of and doesn't look silly when they can't fill up half the stands for their meets.

Even though I agree with that, most of those people are track members of numerous programs...now Penn Relays, that is a crazy experience.

NCF

Quote from: D3MAFAN on August 01, 2013, 09:13:40 AM

Too bad we're looking for "Football" stadiums.  You might appreciate certain aspects of D3 football over D1, but going to some of these D3 stadiums with a track, you feel like you're up in 2nd deck of most d1 stadiums.  Let's show a little respect to Track and Field programs and get them separate facilities which they have sole use of and doesn't look silly when they can't fill up half the stands for their meets.

Even though I agree with that, most of those people are track members of numerous programs...now Penn Relays, that is a crazy experience.
Same can be said for the Drake Relays. North Central always sends a big squad there to compete in the college division.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

NCF

Too bad we're looking for "Football" stadiums.  You might appreciate certain aspects of D3 football over D1, but going to some of these D3 stadiums with a track, you feel like you're up in 2nd deck of most d1 stadiums.  Let's show a little respect to Track and Field programs and get them separate facilities which they have sole use of and stands that don't look empty during their meets.
Too bad most D3's either don't have the room or the money for a separate facility.  I don't know what meets you attend, but most colleges have a big meet every week-end with enough fans of all the teams to fill the stadium quite nicely.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

AO

Quote from: NCF on August 01, 2013, 09:54:44 AM

Too bad most D3's either don't have the room or the money for a separate facility.  I don't know what meets you attend, but most colleges have a big meet every week-end with enough fans of all the teams to fill the stadium quite nicely.
That's part of the point, if you're going to have 10+ teams at a meet, you only need 1 stadium.  You don't need 10.  I don't have the stats to prove/disprove the necessary room to build a track, but I certainly have visited a lot of D3s with plenty of room to have a separate track.  Money also doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with some conferences waging war in the quest to have the newest/best facilities.

NCF

Quote from: AO on August 01, 2013, 10:29:46 AM
Quote from: NCF on August 01, 2013, 09:54:44 AM

That's part of the point, if you're going to have 10+ teams at a meet, you only need 1 stadium.  You don't need 10.  I don't have the stats to prove/disprove the necessary room to build a track, but I certainly have visited a lot of D3s with plenty of room to have a separate track.  Money also doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with some conferences waging war in the quest to have the newest/best facilities.
I don't think any of the CCIW schools have the room, but I could be wrong. I would agree with you on schools trying to one up each other in order to attract more students.

frank uible

Has anyone here outside of Pat seen as many as or more than 20% of the D3 stadia?

Just Bill

Quote from: frank uible on August 01, 2013, 11:29:33 AM
Has anyone here outside of Pat seen as many as or more than 20% of the D3 stadia?
How many would 20% be? How many football programs are there?
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

jknezek

Quote from: Just Bill on August 01, 2013, 11:57:05 AM
Quote from: frank uible on August 01, 2013, 11:29:33 AM
How many would 20% be? How many football programs are there?

there are 240 or so DIII schools, with more every year. therefore 20% is somewhere north of 48 stadiums.

wally_wabash

I think my most recent count of stadiums visited was up to 22...so I'm still under 10%. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: wally_wabash on August 01, 2013, 12:43:50 PM
I think my most recent count of stadiums visited was up to 22...so I'm still under 10%.

That's really good. Counting my time in school I am at 17, having added Huntingdon and Birmingham-Southern last year. I don't think I'll get to a new one this year. Unfortunately the last 9 years have been spent in FL and AL, not exactly D3 hotbeds with lots of stadium choices nearby...

NCF

Quote from: jknezek on August 01, 2013, 02:18:35 PM

That's really good. Counting my time in school I am at 17, having added Huntingdon and Birmingham-Southern last year. I don't think I'll get to a new one this year. Unfortunately the last 9 years have been spent in FL and AL, not exactly D3 hotbeds with lots of stadium choices nearby...
I didn't realize just how many, until I went back and counted. During the past four years, I've been to 31 stadiums.

AO

Quote from: NCF on August 01, 2013, 02:59:04 PM

I didn't realize just how many, until I went back and counted. During the past four years, I've been to 31 stadiums.
holleee cow, even if these visits weren't just for football games, that's hard to do.  What's your top 5?

JahEazy

To be fair though, a lot of people actually come out to the Spring Track events cause that's when it's nice and sunny outside

Hawks88

I'm at 14 and planning to add Mississippi College and Greensboro this year.