MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW_Eagles

Penn State Harrisburg leaving too.   Would be curious who might be some potential targets for the CAC.  Slim pickings I'd imagine. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I have been having a lot of conversations behind the scenes... I really can't share details, but let's just say the CAC is casting a wide net.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sunny

UC Santa Cruz?  ;D

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 09, 2018, 02:25:21 PM
I have been having a lot of conversations behind the scenes... I really can't share details, but let's just say the CAC is casting a wide net.

Swish3

In terms of travel, this likely hurts CNU the most, as I'd imagine that most, if not all, of the schools the CAC is pursuing are up north.

sunny

Quote from: Swish3 on July 10, 2018, 09:40:37 AM
In terms of travel, this likely hurts CNU the most, as I'd imagine that most, if not all, of the schools the CAC is pursuing are up north.

Depending on the east v. west component of "up north," it may be as bad or worse for Southern Virginia.

I have a hard time coming up with schools in any direction that would be lining up for possibly long trips to be in a conference with Salisbury, Christopher Newport, and Mary Wash (speaking in terms of all sports here, not just men's basketball) nor can I see any reasons why any other Division III conference would be rushing to take in any of them. I think a lot of the potential of "saving" the CAC lies in how committed York, Southern Virginia, and St. Mary's are to "saving the conference" as I'd imagine those three are more likely to find another home than SU/CNU/UMW are. (I understand St. Mary's is a public school, but as a small honors college, they may have a shot at finding a private-school conference willing to accept them.) IMHO, if I'm any of those three schools, I'd probably put more time and effort to finding somewhere else to go than in saving the CAC (though it's certainly worthwhile in exploring both of those paths) - partially because I think simply finding one or two schools shouldn't be enough. Losing four in roughly a year is a sign that the CAC would really need to get back to at least nine full members to find some level of comfort.

Swish3

Quote from: sunny on July 10, 2018, 10:39:31 AM
Quote from: Swish3 on July 10, 2018, 09:40:37 AM

Depending on the east v. west component of "up north," it may be as bad or worse for Southern Virginia.

I have a hard time coming up with schools in any direction that would be lining up for possibly long trips to be in a conference with Salisbury, Christopher Newport, and Mary Wash (speaking in terms of all sports here, not just men's basketball) nor can I see any reasons why any other Division III conference would be rushing to take in any of them. I think a lot of the potential of "saving" the CAC lies in how committed York, Southern Virginia, and St. Mary's are to "saving the conference" as I'd imagine those three are more likely to find another home than SU/CNU/UMW are. (I understand St. Mary's is a public school, but as a small honors college, they may have a shot at finding a private-school conference willing to accept them.) IMHO, if I'm any of those three schools, I'd probably put more time and effort to finding somewhere else to go than in saving the CAC (though it's certainly worthwhile in exploring both of those paths) - partially because I think simply finding one or two schools shouldn't be enough. Losing four in roughly a year is a sign that the CAC would really need to get back to at least nine full members to find some level of comfort.

Well said, sunny...completely agree!  The CAC's in a tough spot, to be sure...it will be interesting to see what happens!

gordonmann

We spoke this month with CAC Commissioner Jeff Ligney about the Capital Athletic Conference's plans following the news that Penn State-Harrisburg and Frostburg State are leaving the conference. He provided a lot of great insight into how they are approaching this challenge. You can listen to that here.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/07/atn-conference-shuffle

Swish3

You knew about this, right CNU85?  CJ's great nephew...pretty neat!

https://twitter.com/TimmyWoollum

He's a good ball player, but I think the only thing he may have on Brock Geiman right now is shooting ability...still very solid, though, and comes from an excellent basketball family!

CNU85

Quote from: Swish3 on August 10, 2018, 02:24:08 PM
You knew about this, right CNU85?  CJ's great nephew...pretty neat!

https://twitter.com/TimmyWoollum

He's a good ball player, but I think the only thing he may have on Brock Geiman right now is shooting ability...still very solid, though, and comes from an excellent basketball family!

Nope. Didn't know about this. Interesting.

jesskleangda

I AM READY FOR BASKETBALL SEASON TO START!

Swish3

I didn't realize CNU's schedule was out yet...four tournaments prior to conference play, as well as the rivalry games against R-M and VW...should be fun!

guest323

Pat Coleman

Quote from: guest323 on October 02, 2018, 03:17:04 PM
Sachs placed on leave? Details??

Don't have anything more to share than what's on the front page of D3hoops.com.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CNU85

uh oh.....news like that is never good. If there is anything slightly positive is that he is only on leave. Most likely subject to an investigation.I remember CNU women's coach suddenly was out of a job. There was no "placed on leave".

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

That's interesting considering CNU is a public school...

But there is a process involved and Salisbury will be going through that now... we shall see.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.