WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Former Hope player Brittany Berry has joined the staff as an assistant coach at Olivet College

Flying Dutch Fan

MIAA looking good in the preseason d3hoops top 25:

Trine at 9
Hope at 13
Calvin receiving votes
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

TUAngola

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on October 31, 2017, 11:15:32 AM
MIAA looking good in the preseason d3hoops top 25:

Trine at 9
Hope at 13
Calvin receiving votes

Congrats to Trine on the preseason poll ranking, well deserved recognition. We only lost one senior to graduation from the roster, so it was more than likely Trine would be in the Top 25 to start.  I know the girls are still hungry and are looking to improve even more.  In addition to always tough Hope and Calvin, they get a good non-conference test playing Amherst, last year's national champ, in Las Vegas in December.  It will be a good experience for them to play one of the best early on to gauge where they stand.  I look for Albion to be a sleeper this year in the MIAA too, they played Trine tough in the tournament last year.

Trine returns 11 from last year with 7 freshmen.  Besides Taylor Cole who graduated, missing from this years roster is Tashayla Sutorius. This is a disappointment as I was looking forward to her development, she played really good minutes at the end of the year last year.  Trine will once again look to All Conference players Brandi Dawson and Haley Martin to lead them this year.  But, Trine also has a lot of good complimentary players and interchangeable parts to throw at teams.  Cassidy Williams is tough as nails defending.  I look for Montana Martin to maybe move into the starting 5 at point, but she is so good off the bench too.  Not sure if any of this years freshmen will get much playing time.  Maybe Courtney Wise, she was a small school all state player last year at Union City, IN, and should provide some depth in the post.  Lauryn Carroll out of Arbor Prep in MI was on a team that won a championship.  And Camille Lira from California won a championship at her school.

The new MTI Center opens in January, so if you get a chance, come on down to Angola and check us out.  Can't wait for the season to start.  Hope to hear about your team's preseason outlook soon!     

Roundball999

Nice showing for the MIAA, with two 2nd-team preseason All-Americans.  Hope junior Frankie Buchanan and Trine junior Brandi Dawson.  Congratulations!

TUAngola

Pre-season MIAA coaches poll is out.  No surprises here...1) Trine...2) Hope...3) Calvin...4) Albion.  These 4 teams should battle it out, not sure if any of the others will push for top 4...maybe Adrian. 

TUAngola

Trine 94 Defiance 78

Tougher than expected opener for the ladies from Trine.  I don't think we're going to sneak up on anyone this year, we're on everyone's radar.  Defiance came out on fire.  Trine prides itself on D but the Yellow Jackets were pretty much lights out in the first half, especially from 3.  I think we may have been down by 10 at one point in the 2nd quarter.  We got back in the game by feeding the post, mainly Brandi Dawson, and getting some of their girls in foul trouble.  We played much better in the 2nd half defensively, but still had some breakdowns, something I'm sure Coach Gould and staff are going to focus on working on the girls defensive rotations.  Defense was never an issue last year.  Free throw shooting tonight was a little "stinky" too, not sure of exact number but guessing 60%.  Our new point guard, Camille Lira is gonna be a good one.  She is pretty poised for a freshman.  She had a sequence at the end of the first half where she scored a bucket and got fouled with 0.9 seconds left.  She missed the foul shot, but no one boxed her out, got her own rebound and scored at the horn.  4 pts in 0.9 seconds that put us up by 4 at the half.  The other girl I thought was most improved from last year was Shelby Oldham, another point guard.  You can tell she's worked on her game, seems a lot more confident.  We played without starting center Hayley Martin, who was in street clothes on the bench.  Looks to be a little banged up, possibly a foot or ankle injury.   

bballforever

Calvin lost big.  Two of their post players (Lurtzema and Meyer) not in box score.  Injured?

Roundball999

Quote from: bballforever on November 16, 2017, 01:38:15 PM
Calvin lost big.  Two of their post players (Lurtzema and Meyer) not in box score.  Injured?

Yikes, they played basically six players with the top 4 getting 37, 38, 39 and 40 minutes.  Looks like Ali Spayde had a tremendous game but they need to develop some depth for down the road.  I have to assume they've been hit with the injury bug, I hope nothing too serious.

bballfan13

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 16, 2017, 04:51:22 PM
Quote from: bballforever on November 16, 2017, 01:38:15 PM

Yikes, they played basically six players with the top 4 getting 37, 38, 39 and 40 minutes.  Looks like Ali Spayde had a tremendous game but they need to develop some depth for down the road.  I have to assume they've been hit with the injury bug, I hope nothing too serious.

Yes, Calvin has been hit with some injuries. The game at Cornerstone was a one possession game going into the 4th quarter. It looks like they ran out of gas.

Calvin did not go very deep last year either.  This seems to be Coach Winkleman's preference.

jspiii

Hope   105      Heidelberg    50

Hope's starting lineup and rotation
PG Newman        Fr  relieved by      King         Soph
G   Geers           Sr  relieved by     Swift          Jr
C   Buchanan     Jr   relieved by     Voskuil       Fr
F   Schwark       Sr   relieved by    Randall       Sr
F   Schoonveld   Fr   relieved by    Moorman     Fr

Really impressed with Schoonveld, her game reminds me a lot of Courtney Kust (Hope, cicra 2009/10-2012/13).
Once 6'3" Voskuil gets the ball inside, forget about it, especially when you have a 5'9" F guarding you. Voskuil has tremendous speed, but boy, what a toothpick physique.
Buchanan just makes the game look effortless.
Geers played outstanding on both sides of the ball, smart player. Also, Geers was wearing some sort of soft harness on her right shoulder, although it didn't hinder her shot and she didn't favor any kind of injury.
Would like to see how they do against better competition.

Roundball999

Quote from: jspiii on November 17, 2017, 10:17:15 PM
Hope   105      Heidelberg    50

Hope's starting lineup and rotation
PG Newman        Fr  relieved by      King         Soph
G   Geers           Sr  relieved by     Swift          Jr
C   Buchanan     Jr   relieved by     Voskuil       Fr
F   Schwark       Sr   relieved by    Randall       Sr
F   Schoonveld   Fr   relieved by    Moorman     Fr

Really impressed with Schoonveld, her game reminds me a lot of Courtney Kust (Hope, cicra 2009/10-2012/13).
Once 6'3" Voskuil gets the ball inside, forget about it, especially when you have a 5'9" F guarding you. Voskuil has tremendous speed, but boy, what a toothpick physique.
Buchanan just makes the game look effortless.
Geers played outstanding on both sides of the ball, smart player. Also, Geers was wearing some sort of soft harness on her right shoulder, although it didn't hinder her shot and she didn't favor any kind of injury.
Would like to see how they do against better competition.

Good opening game for Hope though I agree, need to see how they do against better competition.  Rose-Hulman today should be a good indicator, they are a tough team receiving top 25 votes.

I agree, Voskuil and Schoonveld were very impressive freshman.  Schoonveld very athletic and didn't play like a freshman.  Voskkuil looked very smooth and coordinated, maybe not what you'd expect for a 6'3" first year player.  The one breakout where she caught the lead pass, quick dribble and steped through the defender - very impressive.  If this incoming class continues to develop the future looks very bright for the Dutch.

Dutchfan

Does Hope really play Baldwin Wallace TWICE in Orlando in a three days span?

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Dutchfan on November 18, 2017, 05:12:35 PM

Yes they do - the other school dropped out last minute.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

jspiii

Hope   63   Rose-Hulman   58

This is the type of game I have no explantion for. Hope was outrebounded 43-25, offensive rebounds Hope 8 Rose-Hulman 21. If there wasn't a scoreboard, I would guess Rose-Hulman won by 5-6 points. My opinion, Hope was outplayed maybe 30 minutes of the game. Hope up by 9 points with 2:24 left in the 1st half, ends Hope up by 1 at halftime. Back and forth, all 2nd half. Hope down 58-55 with 1:29 to play, that's all the scoring Rose-Hulman has. Geers make 2 free throws, Schwark makes a big 3, a steal by Geers and free throws at the end and it's over.

This is a game Hope easily could have lost, but boy, will it long good on the end of year resume, against arguably a tournament team.

Just had a chance to watch the post-game press conference after the Heidelberg game and Coach Morehouse said that in his 22 years of coaching, Rose-Hulman may be the best offensive rebounding team he has seen. Hope knew it going in and still couldn't stop Rose-Hulman.

sac

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 18, 2017, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: Dutchfan on November 18, 2017, 05:12:35 PM

Yes they do - the other school dropped out last minute.

The should play Baldwin one night, and Wallace the next.

Am I right?