MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Dutch Fan and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

maroonandgold

Quote from: shknowsbest on November 21, 2017, 02:15:11 PM
Quote from: oldknight on November 21, 2017, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: shknowsbest on November 21, 2017, 01:05:52 PM
Olivet is beating ferris st at half by one.  This game is at ferris.

Stranger things have been known to happen. Last night, the Grace Bible Tigers, a team Calvin defeated by a rather comfortable 16 points last week, nearly upset D2 Davenport. Grace led by 5 with less than three minutes left, and only a late three pointer by the Panthers allowed them to escape with an 80-78 win.
[/quoteOlivet lost by15, adams and edmonds scored majority of points.]

After looking at the box score of Olivet's 99-84 loss to Ferris State, I have got to believe that the Comets will be very competitive and maybe the class of the MIAA.  Even if its mainly 2  players, they must really be tough.  Jalen Adams had 35 points and 13 rebounds!  If the team stays in tact, they will tough for any league team to handle.

pointlem

Another strange thing is Olivet and Ferris playing at 12:15 p.m. on a weekday with classes in session? Seems odd . . . but maybe there's an explanation.

Neverthless, kudos to Olivet for playing Ferris close, after Ferris lost to MSU by just 8. Sounds like Olivet will be a contender this year?

OC_SID

Quote from: pointlem on November 21, 2017, 07:52:24 PM
Another strange thing is Olivet and Ferris playing at 12:15 p.m. on a weekday with classes in session? Seems odd . . . but maybe there's an explanation.

It was a Kids' Day game at Ferris State. They invited students from neighboring schools to the game, and from what I was told, the students were transported to the game on school buses. They did the same thing a week ago when Olivet's women's team played an exhibition game against the Bulldogs.

maroonandgold

Calvin beat Wheaton 96-86 and beat them in almost every category of stats.  Whereas Wheaton had two of the best shooters we may see this year (33 points and 27 points on some really well-defended shots) Calvin had 6 different players in double figures and a higher shooting percentage, 3 point shooting made and percentage, and free throw shooting percentage, and rebounding.  Lots of energy despite some mistakes.  Bykerk really went to the basket when the opportunity came, and Canonie shot the best I've seen from him, confident when the opening was there.

KnightSlappy

I definitely like the ones where the shots go in.

oldknight

In a mostly well played, early season game, Calvin beat a Wheaton team that didn't have Ricky Samuelson and Aston Francis, by the score of 96-26. But the Thunder chose to play those two and the final was actually 96-86. The Knights took an early lead which dwindled to one at the half when they didn't execute particularly well the last two minutes of the half. I remembered Francis well from last season's loss at King Arena and, while he's a scary player, his miserable shot selection--particularly early in game--helped Calvin build a lead. Even though the visitors took a very brief one point lead with 12 minutes left, it just seemed that Wheaton was playing uphill all night. Samuelson had a terrific game for Wheaton with 33 efficient points in 39 minutes. Francis added 27 but required 29 shots to do that. Calvin's shot selection and ball handling was solid, the offense was well-balanced, and the Knights sported much improved shooting from the arc (13-29). Other game notes:

--Tony Canonie with a career night, getting a double-double with 17 points (3-5 on three pointers!) and 10 assists. He added 5 boards in 36 minutes. The kid's a warrior--the type you want in your foxhole if you're in combat.

--Finally got to see Luke Morrison in person. The freshman is the real deal. He plays like a veteran, makes few mistakes, is highly competitive, and will be a consistent scorer for the Knights. I detected no holes in his game and Calvin fans are going to fall in love with this kid the next four years.

--The Morrison family contributed 26 points to the cause, with Tom coming off the bench to score 14. He is welcome help and makes the Knights a deeper team.

--It's early, but this team strikes me as having a higher ceiling than the 2016-17 brand of Calvin hoops.

GoPerry

Quote from: oldknight on November 21, 2017, 10:18:37 PM
In a mostly well played, early season game, Calvin beat a Wheaton team that didn't have Ricky Samuelson and Aston Francis, by the score of 96-26. But the Thunder chose to play those two and the final was actually 96-86. The Knights took an early lead which dwindled to one at the half when they didn't execute particularly well the last two minutes of the half. I remembered Francis well from last season's loss at King Arena and, while he's a scary player, his miserable shot selection--particularly early in game--helped Calvin build a lead. Even though the visitors took a very brief one point lead with 12 minutes left, it just seemed that Wheaton was playing uphill all night. Samuelson had a terrific game for Wheaton with 33 efficient points in 39 minutes. Francis added 27 but required 29 shots to do that. Calvin's shot selection and ball handling was solid, the offense was well-balanced, and the Knights sported much improved shooting from the arc (13-29). Other game notes:

--Tony Canonie with a career night, getting a double-double with 17 points (3-5 on three pointers!) and 10 assists. He added 5 boards in 36 minutes. The kid's a warrior--the type you want in your foxhole if you're in combat.

--Finally got to see Luke Morrison in person. The freshman is the real deal. He plays like a veteran, makes few mistakes, is highly competitive, and will be a consistent scorer for the Knights. I detected no holes in his game and Calvin fans are going to fall in love with this kid the next four years.

--The Morrison family contributed 26 points to the cause, with Tom coming off the bench to score 14. He is welcome help and makes the Knights a deeper team.

--It's early, but this team strikes me as having a higher ceiling than the 2016-17 brand of Calvin hoops.

Thanks for the recap.  I couldn't catch the livestream.  Does Calvin athletics post archived video of the games anywhere?

Samuelson has been outta sight stellar these first 3 games;  Francis not so much.  Knights shooting 49% FG (32/65), 45% 3FGA ( 13/29 ), 90% FT (19/21) is a pretty tough stat line to beat. 

KnightSlappy

Quote from: GoPerry on November 21, 2017, 10:40:21 PM

Thanks for the recap.  I couldn't catch the livestream.  Does Calvin athletics post archived video of the games anywhere?

Samuelson has been outta sight stellar these first 3 games;  Francis not so much.  Knights shooting 49% FG (32/65), 45% 3FGA ( 13/29 ), 90% FT (19/21) is a pretty tough stat line to beat.

Unfortunately they no longer seem to make archived games available. I wish they would though.

KnightSlappy

I was only able to arrive in time for the second half, but Canonie seemed more active in looking for his shot offensively. He's a better shooter than last year's numbers indicate. I'd like for him to take his opportunities when they come.

realist

-It's early, but this team strikes me as having a higher ceiling than the 2016-17 brand of Calvin hoops.
I am inclined to agree.  Even in the games last week, but especially last night, it looked like the players this year are actually having fun.  The chemistry is much improved. Yes, several lapses did occur, but a much more cohesive team effort along with none of the "chippiness" seen in previous years. 
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

TUAngola

Trine 71 Manchester 61

Got my first look at the 2017-18 MBB team tonight.  It's going to be a work in progress with this group.  They did some good things tonight, rebounded very well, but Manchester might be the only team Trine plays this year that has a smaller lineup than them, so that was a factor in the rebounding edge.  The only guys in the rotation this year that played meaningful minutes last year are Myles Copeland and Langston Johnson.  Everyone else is new, with the exception of Jason Clune who is coming back from a season ending injury last year.  I enjoy watching Jason play, he is a gamer.  Not a lot of athleticism but a good basketball IQ.  Again Trine as in years past does not go more than 7-8 deep.  A major concern is ball handling, man did we turn the ball over!  We just don't make good decisions with the ball, hopefully that aspect improves with more games under their belt.  Myles is going to have to carry a lot of the offensive burden inside.  Mo Hunter was ok, but doesn't have the offensive game Myles does.  Pete Smith played fantastic the first half, had a string of 3 consecutive 3 pointers that helped Trine get a lead and stay in front the rest of the way.  But he didn't play nearly as well the 2nd half, tried to dribble thru Manchester's 3/4 court trapping pressure too much and got his pocket picked a few times, same with freshman guard Jalen Paul.  Pete did hit a big 3 pointer in the 2nd half when Manchester got it down to a 2 point game.  Put us back up 5 and then we hit enough free throws at the end to keep Manchester at bay.  Langston seems lost out there, you can tell he has lost some confidence with his shot, and no real purpose in his play.  We really need him to step up.  Best player on the court was Adrian Johnson of Manchester, he is the real deal.  I was impressed with him 2 years ago when they played at Hershey, and he has only gotten better.  But other than that Manchester's talent is only fair.  The coaches got it right with the pre-season pick for Trine, we probably won't be much more than 6th or 7th this year.  Roster has turned over significantly, it's going to take a while to get everyone on the same page.       

pointlem

Massey Ratings estimates:

Cornerstone over Hope, 82 to 74 (and that's w/o allowing for Dante Hawkins' absence, which apparently will extend a few more games)
Aquinas over Calvin, 75 to 69

sac

Cornerstone 88  Hope 61

Was never really close to my recollection, maybe a few minutes early.  The struggle to score is not surprising without Dante Hawkins.  The struggle to defend is concerning but Hope has also played 3 really good and probably 2 great offensive teams in their 3 games. 

J. Beckman 21, Vree 9, Lewis 8

pointlem

Quote from: sac on November 24, 2017, 09:32:22 PM
Cornerstone 88  Hope 61

Was never really close to my recollection, maybe a few minutes early.  The struggle to score is not surprising without Dante Hawkins.  The struggle to defend is concerning but Hope has also played 3 really good and probably 2 great offensive teams in their 3 games. 

J. Beckman 21, Vree 9, Lewis 8
One other stat stands out . . . rebounds: Cornerstone 51, Hope 20. Ouch!

It's looking like Luke Morrison (29 points, 9 rebounds) is, indeed, a gem of a player for Calvin. Some of us can wish the Morrison brothers were at Hope, where Tom spent his first two years.

wiz

Calvin lost to Aquinas after holding the lead for most of the game.  KVS was begging the team to protect the ball but it fell on deaf ears.  If 17 turnovers won't lose it for you, making less than 40% of your free throws surely will.
Outstanding game again for Luke Morrison.  A good night for Alex Bos as well.