FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NBC93

Speaking of the NESCAC brand, in Michigan it seems that half of the people that ask my son where he chose to play ball ask, "Why Amherst?", the other half are immediately impressed and don't need to ask. The ones that know, definitely know.

creakyknees

As Louis Armstrong once said when asked why he played jazz - if you have to ask, you'll never know.

frank uible

The Duke said that there are only two kinds of music - good and bad.

nescac1

It's not true that virtually every NESCAC / Ivy cross-admit picks the Ivy.  Williams, for example, generally (though not always) loses out to H/Y/P, but many Williams students choose it over the rest of the Ivies - roughly 50/50 (or close to it) in the aggregate vs other Ivies.  Certainly does very well vs Penn and Cornell. 

ITH radio

Kickoff rankings for the NESCAC were pretty surprising imo.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

gridiron

NESCAC1-- would be interested in where you obtained that data. Not consistent at all with what I've seen and heard from others. Not attempting to challenge you-- just curious. Athletes, given the opportunity, almost always want to play at a higher level, and the Ivies provide both the brand and D1 opportunity.. They may  later find they would have been better suited for the NESCAC, which is why occasionally you will see a transfer in.

Former CAC Coach

lumbercat

Quote from: Former CAC Coach on August 10, 2018, 03:56:57 PM
ITH -  What were the rankings you saw?

ITH radio is planting a seed about a website and publication that are a paid deal. Not sure if he has a direct interest but his open ended post was effective in eliciting your curiosity. Love the internet trolling techniques.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: lumbercat on August 10, 2018, 07:01:43 PM

ITH radio is planting a seed about a website and publication that are a paid deal. Not sure if he has a direct interest but his open ended post was effective in eliciting your curiosity. Love the internet trolling techniques.

Kickoff is the preseason publication from D3football.com. It's the only thing we charge access for all year across any of our sites and the thousand or so subscriptions fund a significant portion of our coverage across multiple sports, not just football.

Can be found on the front page of D3football.com!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

lumbercat

Thanks Pat and let me say I recommend it- Ive been subscriber for a number of years.

amh63

Am enjoying a nice NE weather afternoon in the Finger Lake area of NY....not wet or too hot :)
In two weeks, FY Orientation should begin in almost all the Nescac schools and therefore arrival of upperclassmen to start practice.  Rosters to show up on websites and for me a clearer picture of the season to come. 
It is noted that the start of Ivy games coincide closely with the Nescac games and with the 9 game schedule of the Nescac...season 2...the Ivy  and Nescac seasons should conclude about the same time.  No post season games to follow.  In the Nescac, multi-sport student athletes can follow their desires....not so in the Ivy League.

PBPOP20

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 10, 2018, 11:24:47 PM
Quote from: lumbercat on August 10, 2018, 07:01:43 PM

Kickoff is the preseason publication from D3football.com. It's the only thing we charge access for all year across any of our sites and the thousand or so subscriptions fund a significant portion of our coverage across multiple sports, not just football.

Can be found on the front page of D3football.com!

And, It's worth every penny!!!  I get it every year too... fantastic.   Team by team analysis by interested party's at the school.  The kids that write Nothing But Nescac and others.    Go buy it... $12 is a bargain.  I won't be repeating anything I've read there on this board as you all need to support what these guys are doing!!!  You'll get no better D3 football content that's more satisfying.

Listen,  I love me some lumbercat, am63, Polarcat and even Colby dad (Go mules, but not on Nov. 10!)   But, there's no substitute for earnest analysis and content creation. All of us who follow owe these guys a debt of gratitude. 

Great job, Pat and team.

nescac1

Gridiron, I was speaking about admitted students in general, not athletes in particular. May well be a different story for football players.  I saw cross admit stats awhile back but I can't recall source.

PolarCat

Quote from: harlequinfarm on August 08, 2018, 12:57:07 PM
Amh63 my son will be coming in with class of '23 as he just committed....  Alas, coach offered and son accepted before that could be done

Congratulations to your son for getting to this point in the process.  But as others have noted, there is no "commitment" till the ED Acceptance letter arrives, and no NESCAC coach can extend an "offer"; that is the sole purview of Admissions.  And some Admissions Departments really get their knickers in a knot if an applicant or the applicant's parents are crowing publicly about being "committed". 

We've all seen situations where, for one reason or another, a kid who had expressed interest in a program and got a tip from a coach didn't get accepted.  We've all been in your shoes and understand the excitement, but I think our collective advice would be to keep a low profile, enjoy your boy's final high school season, and hope that "the letter" does, in fact, arrive in December.

PolarCat

Quote from: lumbercat on August 06, 2018, 10:04:23 PMHell hath no fury like that of scorned football helicopter parents.

Makes you wonder what Cosgrove's reaction to those "scorned football helicopter parents" would be.  Somehow, I think he will be less tolerant than Michaeles was...